News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Old Head
« on: July 22, 2024, 01:09:01 PM »
Just played Old Head yesterday for the first time . Two days before, I played Royal County Down. I have been battling the last 24 hours thinking about Old Head . I will preface saying the first 9 holes at Old Head I played pretty well but the back nine the weather came in with 40 mph winds and sideways rain and it was hard to score but nonetheless kinda fun being an American for my first time playing in Ireland . Old Head was visually stunning and had some unique holes but I didn’t find the architecture to be amazing like Royal County . I’m trying to stay subjective about my opinion of Old Head and don’t want my poor play on the back to influence my option of the course . What are some of your thoughts on Old Head ? 

Ben Stephens

Re: Old Head
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2024, 01:13:00 PM »
Calling 'Doc' Hiseman who played there in the last month!

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2024, 02:02:23 PM »
Old Head was visually stunning and had some unique holes but I didn’t find the architecture to be amazing
That's my feeling as well. I think its easy for players to get swept up in the views, but I remember getting to the 8-9-10 inland stretch and having a light bulb shatter in my brain about how pedestrian most of the holes are.

I do think for Americans their impressions of Old Head is greatly influenced by when in their trip they see the course. As it really isn't a links course in the ilk as RCD, if Old Head is one of the first courses you play, you don't have an immediate point of comparison. But if its one of the last courses you play you complete the same comparison you did and realize it's just not that special compared to what else is out there.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2024, 02:12:12 PM »
If it wasn’t for golf tourists would the course even exist? Just curious hence asking.
Atb

Rick Sides

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2024, 02:12:51 PM »
Ben H,
I agree with you . Some holes are very forgettable and could be on any course . I played with a few higher handicap golfers and also felt it not playable for some of them since the greens were running around 12 that day and the weather was tough. Some of the holes had no recovery for those struggle hitting the ball decent.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2024, 02:30:26 PM »
It’s certainly a spectacular piece of real estate, but if you suffer from Acrophobia, I’d give it a very wide body swerve. Eek!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2024, 04:03:15 PM »
Rick,

I agree with Ben and you. On my first trip to Ireland, we played it plus Waterville, Ballybunion, Doonbeg, and Lahinch—basically the standard American trip. I was glad to see the property for sightseeing purposes, but the course is as Ben and you describe it. In two subsequent trips to Ireland, it never crossed my mind to visit it again. I believe that Tom Doak explained on a different thread that there really is not enough property to build a great 18 hole course.

I hope that you are having a great trip.

Ira

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2024, 04:47:55 PM »
"If it wasn’t for golf tourists would the course even exist?"

I suppose we could say the same thing about the courses at Gleneagles and Turnberry. :)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2024, 04:53:32 PM »
You shouldn't compare Old Head to the Irish Links courses. It is its own thing. The cliffside holes are so stunning that the inland holes can't compete. It is built on a very small footprint. I wonder what could have been built if there were only 14 or 15 holes.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brian Moran

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2024, 04:58:54 PM »
If it wasn’t for golf tourists would the course even exist? Just curious hence asking.
Atb

Having just left Ireland a few days ago, playing golf there for the first time, I worry that Ireland is way more focused on tourists, especially Americans, than Scotland.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2024, 05:37:59 PM »

I suppose we could say the same thing about the courses at Gleneagles and Turnberry. :)

David,

I have not played Turnberry, but I will disagree with you about Gleneagles regarding the quality of Kings and Queens versus Old Head (not speaking to the fees which are pretty much the same).

Ira

Ira Fishman

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2024, 05:47:00 PM »
Atb

Having just left Ireland a few days ago, playing golf there for the first time, I worry that Ireland is way more focused on tourists, especially Americans, than Scotland.

Brian,

So much depends on where you play. In Scotland, no better experiences than checking in at Kilspindie or a cup of soup at Golspie or a bite at Elie. But Castle Stuart, RD, or Kingsbarns or even TOC?

In Ireland, Carne, Rosses Point, and especially Mulranny could care less that we were Americans. Actually also true at The Island Club.

Ira

Pierre_C

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2024, 06:01:41 PM »
Hi Rick,

I think it is unfair to compare Old Head to County Down (RCD). By far, RCD is a better golf course architecturally. Old head in itself is unique, a 221 acre promontory (150 acres course) with a quasi-compact 18 hole golf course. Architecturally, there are limits to what you can do at OH, but it is a very curated course. I agree with you OH isn't a very difficult course and perhaps a quasi resort course. However, the challenges of OH are weather conditions (wind & fog) and playing tees. There are a lot of bail out areas off the tees and around the greens.

I've played Old Head at least 20 times, most recently last year. What I like most about OH is the scenic walk playing golf. From arrival, range, golf, and après-golf the experience is relaxing. Its that the purpose when you are on holiday and playing golf?

Yes, Old Head curates itself towards Americans, but so what. At least OH isn't Hog's Head.

12th green, Old Head

17th tee box Old Head

18th tee box Old Head

« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 08:26:43 PM by Pierre_C »
(2^82589933) - 1

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2024, 06:15:51 PM »

David,

I have not played Turnberry, but I will disagree with you about Gleneagles regarding the quality of Kings and Queens versus Old Head (not speaking to the fees which are pretty much the same).

Ira

Ira

I think David was making the point that Turnberry and Gleneagles both came into existence to satisfy a demand from visiting golfers. You could also say the same about Cruden Bay. I don't think he was comparing them in terms of quality.

Niall

Mark_Fine

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2024, 08:04:19 PM »
Architecturally there is NO comparison between Old Head and Royal County Down which many might put as the best on the planet.  RCD is a 10 in my book. OH gets a 10+ for the setting but after that ???

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2024, 10:10:35 PM »
Prior to my trip to Ireland I was urged to play Old Head, but - as Marty said - I suffer from acrophobia (well, I dislike heights, anyway) so chose to skip it. When I returned - having played Ballybunion, Lahinch, RCD and Portrush, among others - all I was asked was, "Did you play Old Head?" American moths tend to gather around that flame, but I don't regret passing it by. Otherwise, I might have missed Enniscrone, in exchange for a panic attack.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 10:15:45 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Rick Sides

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2024, 03:46:15 AM »
I guess I was not really trying to compare Royal and old Head . I just kinda have a reference where I played the days before . Old Head has its own merits in the sheer beauty of the course and I am glad I played it . I was just unsure how I felt about it knowing my family has played it and they all couldn’t stop talking about it , however they really don’t think much about the architectural components much which is ok also .

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2024, 09:29:22 AM »
From the course website:

Fittingly the course was designed and constructed by a unique team, the late
Ron Kirby
- former designer at Jack Nicklaus's Golf Design Services, the late
Eddie Hackett
- former Irish golf professional and golf course designer, the late
Dr. Joe Carr
- Ireland's most successful international amateur golfer,
Paddy Merrigan
- Australian course architect and agronomist,
Liam Higgins
- one of Ireland's best known golf professionals currently on the Seniors Tour and finally,
Haulie O'Shea
- building contractor.

Two many cooks, a-spoiling the broth?

If not, what about the inland holes might have been done differently? Or, is this a case of Caledonia syndrome, where Mike Strantz was given a pie tin, and told find us 18 holes. Caledonia is in no one's top 10 in the world, but it is a course that most would play on repeat, if given the opportunity.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

tomgoutman

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2024, 09:53:30 AM »
OH is an average golf course with great views.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2024, 10:15:27 AM »
Old Head has become an undeserved whipping boy. it isn't a great course, but it is fun and has some terrific holes.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2024, 10:18:50 AM »
What I like most about OH is the scenic walk playing golf. From arrival, range, golf, and après-golf the experience is relaxing. Its that the purpose when you are on holiday and playing golf?

Being more expensive than RCD, Portrush, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Rosapenna, Waterville, Portmarnock, etc...; You're paying quite premium for a scenic relaxing experience over world class golf.

Brian Finn

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2024, 10:39:28 AM »
What I like most about OH is the scenic walk playing golf. From arrival, range, golf, and après-golf the experience is relaxing. Its that the purpose when you are on holiday and playing golf?

Being more expensive than RCD, Portrush, Ballybunion, Lahinch, Rosapenna, Waterville, Portmarnock, etc...; You're paying quite premium for a scenic relaxing experience over world class golf.
As has been said here countless times, gca enthusiasts are a small minority among people who play golf.  In my experience (even having many friends who are pretty into gca), most people I know are looking more for scenery and relaxation (and conditioning) than what we here consider world-class golf.  I know a group that goes to Old Head every year, stay on site, play several rounds there, with a few rounds at other courses scattered in each trip.  They love every second of their time at Old Head and wouldn't trade it for anything.  I haven't played many courses in Ireland, and Old Head is not high on my wish list, but most people I know have very different wish lists than I do. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Pierre_C

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2024, 11:27:43 AM »

To each his/her own. I'm not sure how you define 'world class golf', but to me it is more than a course's routing, ranking, and greens fee.  All the courses you mentioned are superb and in the pantheon of golf architecture.

Dooks is one of my favorite courses in IRE and I prefer to play it over most of the courses you listed. The world has more than 38,800 golf courses. Good thing for diversity of thought, desire, & opinion; otherwise, we would only play 'world class golf'.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 12:20:39 PM by Pierre_C »
(2^82589933) - 1

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2024, 12:04:05 PM »
OH sounds like the Torrey Pines South of the UK.

For those who have played both, how would you compare and contrast them?

Pierre_C

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2024, 12:29:39 PM »
This is a good overview of OH. https://youtu.be/rWD8gYoILuM?si=Ypo3tGa1xtM1wvt3

Kalen, I think Torrey is a harder course to play and score. OH is just unique, views are dramatic from 80% of holes. OH has more holes along the cliffs and you can play in less than 4 hrs. Keep in mind, we are comparing muni v private enterprise.

I would compare Torrey to Cabot Cliffs rather than OH.

OH sounds like the Torrey Pines South of the UK.

For those who have played both, how would you compare and contrast them?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 12:40:43 PM by Pierre_C »
(2^82589933) - 1

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back