News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

(OT) Golf breeds character
« on: July 19, 2024, 08:39:25 PM »
Or at least it can. Growing up, I was taught that you never no-card and never walk off the golf course before the round ends unless you are injured. Aguri Iwasaki must have been taught the same thing.

He could easily have feigned injury and walked in, but he soldiered on. Good on him.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 08:41:00 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

Re: (OT) Golf breeds character
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 10:58:05 PM »
Golf also breeds characters. ;)

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2024, 08:14:12 AM »
He could easily have feigned injury and walked in, but he soldiered on. Good on him.
Why on earth would you think he would feign an injury? His scorecard being internet fodder?

Maybe he just likes to play golf (heavens forbid), actually had a grand time despite his play, and appreciated his time spent in such an atmosphere.

As to the OP, many endeavors breed character. I'd put golf in the smallest percentile.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2024, 10:39:50 AM »
Not sure it breeds character.
More it showcases or highlights character.
And from quite a few different perspectives too.
Atb

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2024, 02:40:39 PM »
Golf doesn’t breed character in exposes it.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2024, 02:54:28 PM »
Well putt.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2024, 10:10:04 PM »
Why on earth would you think he would feign an injury? His scorecard being internet fodder?

Maybe he just likes to play golf (heavens forbid), actually had a grand time despite his play, and appreciated his time spent in such an atmosphere.

As to the OP, many endeavors breed character. I'd put golf in the smallest percentile.

You really don't read well, do you? I never thought he would feign an injury, just that he could have, as many others have.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2024, 10:12:08 PM »
Golf doesn’t breed character in exposes it.

Absolutely true; it does expose one's character. But it did help mold mine, as did other things.
St. John of the Cross

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2024, 08:52:47 AM »

You really don't read well, do you? I never thought he would feign an injury, just that he could have, as many others have.
Tommy, I read very well, thank you.
YOU brought up the idea he could have feigned an injury. You never thought it but posted it? How? Why?
If your original post just applauded his dedication, I can understand you bringing it up.
"as many others have." Wanna name names?

Mark Studer

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2024, 04:05:09 PM »
I heard it as "Golf does not build character , it reveals it ,or the lack thereof"  Similar to Rob Marshall's take.
The First Tee:Golf Lessons/Life Lessons

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2024, 04:58:34 PM »
I was lucky to have had a pro named Carl Rasnic to mentor me in my teen years. What he taught me about life through my relationship with golf has been a guiding light. When I was 16, I broke my three-wood in anger. I asked Mr. Rasnic if he could fix it. "How did you break it, Tommy?" "It just broke." Golf clubs don't just break. Gentlemen and golfers do not behave that way." Strictly speaking, it was more than golf, but that moment is etched in my head.
St. John of the Cross

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2024, 05:28:50 PM »
As much as I love a feel-good story, I would submit Patrick Reed as a strong counter-argument for such platitudes.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back