News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Chilver-Stainer

Isn't a Par 5 a Par 5 even for Tyrell?

Jason Thurman

Bitches be bitching.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

JLahrman

I do think the holes would have played more interestingly if they were reachable in two. Par 5s that are three shot holes for everyone might be harder but it makes them less interesting.

Tom_Doak

I do think the holes would have played more interestingly if they were reachable in two. Par 5s that are three shot holes for everyone might be harder but it makes them less interesting.

It's not really less interesting, though.  It places much more emphasis on hitting your first two shots into the fairway, so you don't lose a lot of distance.  There have been lots of 6's and a few 7's on those outward par-5 holes.

That said, 600-yard par-5 holes are an outlier in Scotland . . . you only see them at an Open site.  They are four-shot holes when the wind turns against you.  It usually doesn't blow this way at Troon, but it's pretty nasty when it does.

Thomas Dai

Diddums for Tyrell and others who consider themselves similarly entitled.
Seems like a requirement to play two decent shots to allow the 3rd shot to be played from the optimum position shouldn’t be beyond the ability of an elite player.
Atb

Wayne_Kozun

Tyrell likes to complain at times but he seems like a pretty solid and funny guy.  He carried his own bag on the 12th fairrway to punish himself:

Paul Jones

I think his complaint was more about having to tee off with a 4 iron.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Sean_A

I think his complaint was more about having to tee off with a 4 iron.

But he could still reach the 16th green in two with a brave shot. In a normal wind it’s harder to reach in two. Strange complaint.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ronald Montesano

1923   England Arthur Havers
1950   South Africa Bobby Locke  (4 total)
1962   United States Arnold Palmer (2 total)
1973   United States Tom Weiskopf
1982   United States Tom Watson (5 total)
1989   United States Mark Calcavecchia   
1997   United States Justin Leonard   
2004   United States Todd Hamilton   
2016   Sweden Henrik Stenson

Interesting blend of great Open champions and one-off winners (simultaneously, Open and major titles) at Royal Troon. The 2016 event was the most heart-stopping battle I've witnessed. Sad that both participants have gone astray.

2003-2004 was that sequence of who? when Curtis and Hamilton won, back to back.

Does Troon identify outsiders better than any other, current Open venue?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Wayne_Kozun

Look at St Andrews since WWII.  I would say that it does a better job with many of the all time greats and players who were best in the world over a few years.  And the two GOATs each won there twice.

Sam Snead
Peter Thomson
Bobby Locke
Kel Nagle
Tony Lema
Jack Nicklaus x2
Seve Ballesteros
Nick Faldo
John Daly
Tiger Woods x2
Louis Ooshuizen
Zach Johnson
Cam Smith
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 01:23:09 PM by Wayne_Kozun »

Ally Mcintosh

They can’t even reach the par-4’s in two right now, never mind the par-5’s.

Thomas Dai

They can’t even reach the par-4’s in two right now, never mind the par-5’s.
In the words of Battery Sergeant Major Williams … “Oh dear, how sad, never mind”
:)
Atb

Matt Schoolfield

Today, players were lucky to reach all the par fours in two...
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Mike_Clayton

It'd be a reasonable to move the tees up 25 yards if Tyrrell and the majority of his contemporaries (most of whom seem to be against it) agreed to roll the ball back 25 yards.
Then they wouldn't have to make all those awful, equipment necessitated, transitions back to the championship tees on every Open Championship course - which is something worth complaining about.

Wayne_Kozun

Today they couldn’t reach some of the par 4s in two, even when hitting Driver-Driver.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back