News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim O’Kane

Re: Night Golf
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2024, 01:48:14 PM »
There should be a night golf website directory type of thing.

They tend to not stick around so long and pop up and disappear, some have tried to persevere. Not many I'd guess...I haven't paid attention that closely in my 58 years. But I do feel these types of places were way more abundant in the 70's. Now it seems there's a little resurgence. I have fond memories of growing up playing them around the NW of Chicago. And I still went to them when I was older. There's something about a quick nine under the lights with just a couple of clubs. Or sometimes, the whole bag.
I can remember a few places although I know there were more.

Arlington Park Race Track in Arlington Heights IL, had a lighted 9 holer in the backyard of the Arlington Park Hilton in the 70's. It was part of a whole Hotel, Pool, restaurant, concert hall complex to attract people to go to the track. It was a field with flagsticks stuck out in the middle of a flat field basically. There might have 2 flat sand traps with no lips. Like two big piles of sand in the middle of field. It's now all gone. Even the Racetrack. The Bears might move there. Probably not. They were talking about that in the early 80's and the city of AH put its foot down. I

There was one around a small lake and town park just northwest of where the Rosemont Horizon was built, or whatever sponsor they're calling the place now. That one might still be there, but the lights would be gone. They pulled them down in the mid 80's I think.

Then there was one near O'Hare Airport in a relatively close hotel, right off the freeway (94? I think...man long time)
If you headed into the city from the NW suburbs on "I-94"you could see it to your right, butting right up to the freeway and McDonald's "Hamburger U" building.

There was another one that

Jim,

I used to play a pitch and putt under the lights right near O’hare. It would have been in the 1970s. It was a blast.

Ira
How cool to interact with someone who did. That has to be the last course I mention above. I never got to play it. They leveled it I believe by the time I could drive in high school, 1982. That place fascinated me. And it looked like it was a decent little course from the freeway.

I wonder these days, and even though I know little about such things, if it'd easier and cheaper to light little par 3 courses nowadays, simply because of the more abundant use of solar energy. I think every lighted par 3 that I knew of that shuttered, did so because of money. It cost a LOT to light it, and no one was coming.

I do so love quirky oddities like this in the sport of golf. It's like our home run walls in American baseball parks such as Fenway, Wrigley, right field Yankee Stadium, or center field Comiskey.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2024, 02:20:36 PM »

There is a lighted par 3, I think 18 holes, right next to the Myrtle Beach airport. It is terrifyingly fascinating watching a high wedge heading right in the path of a landing jet plane. The holes aren't much to speak of, but it is lit and kept in more than acceptable shape for what it is.
https://aeroclubgolf.com/
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 02:29:32 PM by Peter Sayegh »

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2024, 02:35:05 PM »
Does Arroyo Seco in Pasadena qualify?
It was a great respite in the late 80's.
Anyone here know if it's still lit for golf?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2024, 11:39:25 PM »

Fields Ranch (The Swing)
-
A 10-hole golf course in Frisco, TX, United States.
INFORMATIONCo-designed by Beau Welling and Gil Hanse, The Swing is a 10-hole, par-3 ideal course for all skill levels. It is a less-formal setting, featuring music and lights for night play, giving the course an “urban golf park” vibe focused on fun. Golf clubs and balls will be available for all visitors to use at The Swing.
  • 704yards
    Par30
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 11:55:50 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2024, 11:46:30 PM »
Timpanogos Golf Club in Provo, Utah
Designed by William H. Neff, ASGCA and opened in 1986

9 holes Par27 1596yards  green fee $12
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2024, 11:50:53 PM »
Brookside Par 3 Golf Course
Designed  and opened in 1962
Brookside - Roanoke, Virginia

9holes 27Par 840yards $11Green Fee
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 11:55:01 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Bill Seitz

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2024, 11:53:13 PM »
Does Arroyo Seco in Pasadena qualify?
It was a great respite in the late 80's.
Anyone here know if it's still lit for golf?

They have tee times until 7:00 pm, so it would appear so.  Arcadia Par 3 is lighted as well.  I don't remember playing much night golf at either, but I play A LOT of golf at both from age 9 to 15, about 1982 to 1988. 

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2024, 09:12:58 AM »
Cary,

I've been telling that one for years, except its a lawyer, doctor, and an engineer!  ;D
Me too - as I am someone who wears an iron ring!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2024, 09:15:25 AM »
The Nest, the ten hole short course at Cabot Links, is lit for nighttime play.  At least for part of the summer as days get a bit shorter in late August and September.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2024, 10:37:04 AM »

There is a lighted par 3, I think 18 holes, right next to the Myrtle Beach airport. It is terrifyingly fascinating watching a high wedge heading right in the path of a landing jet plane. The holes aren't much to speak of, but it is lit and kept in more than acceptable shape for what it is.
https://aeroclubgolf.com/
That's the one. Thank you Peter.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2024, 04:22:54 PM »
I have played in Türkiye (Turkey) where there is night golf ay Carya (floodlights on all 18 holes) and the Montgomerie Maxx Royal with floodlights on the back nine holes.

At night time the climate is cooler and I can see quite a few golfers playing in it. The floodlights lit the tees, fairways and greens however there were shadows at times that you could not even see the ball and if you go into the tree it was pitch black.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2024, 10:52:51 PM »
For those who work during the day or just want to play at night, I know of three courses:
1.The Lights at Indio Golf Course in Indio, CA New clubhouse, better facilities coming to this lighted golf course in the California desert (msn.com)
2. Grass Clippings at Rolling Hills in Tempe, AZhttps://grassclippingsaz.com/pages/night-golf
3.Angel Park in Las Vegas. This fully lit up course is a par 3 course at night.
4. South Korea :The  president of the Korea Leisure Industry Institute, South Korea now boasts 117 golf courses of 18 holes or more (83 public courses, 34 private clubs) that offer nighttime play for willing golfers, with tee times as late as 8 p.m. There are countless other 9-hole courses that also feature floodlights and do not close until midnight or later. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/18/sports/golf/white-night-golf-south-korea.html
5. Japan: https://www.air-golf.com/courses/reviews/night-golf-japan
Are there others in the USA?
3s Golf in Greenville, SC https://3s.golf
Knights Play in Raleigh, NC https://www.knightsplay.com

I was going to mention 3's we go there many Wednesdays nights for a BIG skins game they run.  Fun golf, GREAT food and drinks! 18 hole putting course under the lights.  We love it.  In fact Justin Timberlake has bought into this group and wants to take it across the country.  I think they are supposed to be opening one in Charlotte soon.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

archie_struthers

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2024, 07:02:18 AM »
 8)

Back in the late 70's/ early 80's the Tall Pines Golf Club in West Deptford , NJ was a fully lighted 18 hole golf club. My memory fades as to whether it was only 9 holes that were lighted now that I think about it some more.  Why we never played there is also pretty dim as we did play there occasionally in daylight.

The course closed after a stint as Eagles Nest Golf Cllub when Eagles ex-qb Ron Jaworski purchased it in 1984. By then the lights were gone . Why it closed is a mystery to me as it seemed busy.

It was purchased by real estate developers who renamed it Maple Glen and eventually got  who got permits to build on the property but again if memory serve a nature conservancy raised the funds to buy it and prevent building there around 2005.  It wasn't a bad golf course , easy with a little movement but it was just a shade over 6.000 yards. A young local Doug Beechler , whose father Gus caddied with me occasionally at Pine Valley , shot 57 there one day , gaining some national attention.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 07:07:59 AM by archie_struthers »

Keith Williams

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2024, 11:14:24 AM »
Duran Golf Club in Viera, Florida has a lighted nine-hole par 3 course that encircles the range.  The few times I have been by it at night it has looked busy.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2024, 11:25:46 AM »
Timpanogos Golf Club in Provo, Utah
Designed by William H. Neff, ASGCA and opened in 1986

9 holes Par27 1596yards  green fee $12

This entire facility, and courses, were re-done a few years ago.  It does still have the lit par 3 course.

https://www.timpanogosgolf.com/thepasture/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back