News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Basic BUSHFOOT GC
« on: July 10, 2024, 11:58:22 AM »
When looking for information on Bushfoot I was surprised to learn the club was established in 1890. When the first house was built in 1896 it was a convenient location for the electric tram which ran between Portrush and Giant's Causeway. It was the first tream to be powered by hydroelectricity. Only a few years later Miss M Creighton became the club's second Captain....this must have been highly unusual for time...jeepers, its unusual now! Like many courses, the land was used for growing crops during WWI. In fact, the club ceased to operate for the last year or so of the war. Growth was the by-word between the wars. More members required more land to be acquired. In the mid 60s a new course was opened. Over the intervening years many improvements were made to bunkering and tees. The story is not so different to a great many clubs and courses in GB&I. 

The start of Bushfoot is electric. The first plays down from the clubhouse level to a fairway adjacent to the River Bush. Playing into a stiff breeze requires two stout strikes to get home. The green is nestled into a hillock.   

Behind the green.

The short second plays over a crook in the river. The stone building in the far distance is Runkerry House. Built in 1885, this was a landmark estate overlooking the stones of the Causeway. The manor was given to the government in 1950 to keep it out of the hands of the Catholic Church. After failed attempts by the family to regain the estate, the government sold the buildings which were converted into apartments.

The carry is deceptive due to the raised green.

The green strikes me as modern and not unlike a few at Otway.

Driving beside the hillock which houses 2 & 8 greens, alternative 3 tee and 9 tee; the third is tricky. I belive the real green was being worked on so a temporary green was in place. Sitting under the fold of a mini ridge, this green looked to be a more interesting option.

Another hole alomng the ridge, the 4th features a more "built" green which is a difficult target.

The winter course was still in play so the truncated 4th is a short par 3. One can see the summer tee adjacent the 3rd green. From here a forceful drive along the river must be taken on.  The tee is back left. the winter green can just been seen on the right.

A par five back up the hill, the 6th isn't special.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 05:36:39 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

George Pazin

Re: Basic BUSHFOOT GC 1-6
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 03:41:52 PM »
Thanks for posting these, Sean. Makes me wax nostalgic for the days when you'd post tours of UK courses most had never heard of.

Looking forward to the next post.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Mayhugh

Re: Basic BUSHFOOT GC 1-6
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 07:44:56 AM »
Definitely a place I've never heard of. It certainly starts off with a bang - great looking first hole.

Sean_A

Re: Basic BUSHFOOT GC 1-6 New
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2024, 05:36:29 AM »
You are welcome George & Tucky

Much of Bushfoot feels modern and that is no different for the short 7th. Its an awkward transition from the 6th as the length of the 7th is essentially covered to reach the tee. For that, its a decent hole. The 8th takes us back into the hill complex where 1 green is located. The hole is a straight down n' upper. The 1st is the left.

Behind the sloping green.

The home hole plays back up the house over some mildy kranky ground. The approach is somewhat similar to the 7th, including the OoB to the rear.

Ok, Bushfoot is certainly not the sort of course one crosses an ocean or even an island to see. Yet, the course does have its dramatic moments, some quirk, basically sound design and pleasant surroundings. The big issue is the high quality neigbourhood. We played it as a cheap alternative add on to the Bann on the way to the ferry port. Bushfoot is that kinda place.  2024

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 22, 2024, 05:40:26 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back