News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: OT- Keegan Bradley 2025 RC Captain
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2024, 08:09:29 PM »
rumor that LIV players are being considered

They can still qualify, Bryson is currently 2nd on the list.

https://www.rydercup.com/us-rankings

mike_beene

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2024, 09:58:07 PM »
Golf’s version of wrestling. The event is harmful. The war by the shore put the wrong perspective on the event. See Jim’s post. US Open crowd was embarrassing.
There are real wars out there.This is not a war. It’s people playing golf who happen to live in certain parts of the world.

John Connolly

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2024, 11:12:33 PM »
I don't care about this choice--and, in fact, I don't even care about the Ryder Cup.  I'm somewhat disgusted with it.
It raises nationalistic, unhealthy emotions; the crowds have gotten out of control and no one in power seems to want to control them.  When the US Open crowd started chanting "USA" for Bryson, I was disgusted--and I blame the Ryder Cup for this.
Golf is--and has always been--an individual sport--and that is one of the best knocks on the LIV Tour.  No one really cares about golf teams in the final analysis.  I like many of the European players better than many of the US players.  And I don't think the honor of my country is really at stake at a silly event like the Ryder Cup.  I'd love to see it go away!  Or become just an exhibition as it used to be.

+1 It's a money grab and has become very unsightly. I find it an embarrassing representation of the sport.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2024, 02:51:34 AM »
I'd love to see both Keegan and Luke as player-captains. I would love for them to tee off in the middle of the singles only, to return a bit of the exhibition element to the event. Leave the captaining to your assistants; lord knows that each team will have four or five!

Folks on this board and in other fora say that the RC has become to commercial and corporate, but then decry a return to pre-1980 chill. I don't understand the juxtaposition.

In 1977, Tom Weiskopf was reported to choose hunting over the Ryder Cup. Not a great move, but certainly a healthy one (for him, not the animals.) I don't want qualifiers to opt out of the matches in 2025, but I do hope that captains choices are a bit more sincere. I don't know if Adrian Meronk was ever a serious consideration for Euro2023 (he should have been) but I do know that his denial drove him to VIL. Luke picked three old guys (Shane, Just, Fleet) and three young guys (Lud, Nik, Sepp) with his freebies. Only Rose stood out as not particularly on form.

I'm not a VIL guy in the slightest, but if BdC continues to play at an elite level, it's hard to not put him on the team. With the exception of Scheffler, no Team USA players win 3X year. Does not winning lead to underperformance on a head-to-head, national-team stage? I don't know.

Xander made the point of the number of required dinners being a distraction. If the dinners are four-five hour affairs, that part is understandable, although it impacts all 24 players.

Team Europe point totals unavailable currently, but going off the OWR, you have non-VIL golfers Rory, Lud, Vik, Fleet and Fitz in the top 20. The large Basque is also in there. That gives you six of twelve. Lowry is good for a captain's pick, but Europe really needs both Hojgaards to step up and reach world top 25.

Ultimately, the RC and other team events are exhibition matches. I believe that it is possible for more celebration (and less competition) without killing profit margins.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David Cronan

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2024, 04:44:32 PM »
This pick reminds me of Sarah Palin getting the nod to be on the ticket for VP (but with the stakes being MUCH) lower. Turns out Bradley was never even “interviewed” for the job and had no idea he was even in the running. Sounds as though Seth Waugh, upon Woods declining the post, was looking to shake things up and the PGA Tour Ryder Cup Task Force (God that’s funny to type) agreed with him. The two players on TPGATRCT areSpieth and Thomas, who were major pieces in Bradley not making the 2023 team.

I used to absolutely love this event but things change….

Rob Marshall

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2024, 07:10:01 PM »
I'd love to see both Keegan and Luke as player-captains. I would love for them to tee off in the middle of the singles only, to return a bit of the exhibition element to the event. Leave the captaining to your assistants; lord knows that each team will have four or five!

Folks on this board and in other fora say that the RC has become to commercial and corporate, but then decry a return to pre-1980 chill. I don't understand the juxtaposition.

In 1977, Tom Weiskopf was reported to choose hunting over the Ryder Cup. Not a great move, but certainly a healthy one (for him, not the animals.) I don't want qualifiers to opt out of the matches in 2025, but I do hope that captains choices are a bit more sincere. I don't know if Adrian Meronk was ever a serious consideration for Euro2023 (he should have been) but I do know that his denial drove him to VIL. Luke picked three old guys (Shane, Just, Fleet) and three young guys (Lud, Nik, Sepp) with his freebies. Only Rose stood out as not particularly on form.

I'm not a VIL guy in the slightest, but if BdC continues to play at an elite level, it's hard to not put him on the team. With the exception of Scheffler, no Team USA players win 3X year. Does not winning lead to underperformance on a head-to-head, national-team stage? I don't know.

Xander made the point of the number of required dinners being a distraction. If the dinners are four-five hour affairs, that part is understandable, although it impacts all 24 players.

Team Europe point totals unavailable currently, but going off the OWR, you have non-VIL golfers Rory, Lud, Vik, Fleet and Fitz in the top 20. The large Basque is also in there. That gives you six of twelve. Lowry is good for a captain's pick, but Europe really needs both Hojgaards to step up and reach world top 25.

Ultimately, the RC and other team events are exhibition matches. I believe that it is possible for more celebration (and less competition) without killing profit margins.

Fleetwood is 33 and Lowry is 37. That’s old?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2024, 06:06:39 PM »
It's old when they are in their 30s and don't win that often. Fleet's win in January was his first in two years. Shane's win with Rory was an exhibition win.

If I'm Luke Donald, I'm looking at Fleet and Shane as my two elder statesment. Here's the Montesano age list (not to be confused with the Doak Scale)

**Young**  18-26 (more likely to have young Europeans on the team than young USA. Rare that an Akshay Bhatia happens in the USA, re: skipping college.)
**Veteran** 27-32
**Elder Statesman## 33+
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2024, 06:11:57 PM »
It's old when they are in their 30s and don't win that often. Fleet's win in January was his first in two years. Shane's win with Rory was an exhibition win.

If I'm Luke Donald, I'm looking at Fleet and Shane as my two elder statesment. Here's the Montesano age list (not to be confused with the Doak Scale)

**Young**  18-26 (more likely to have young Europeans on the team than young USA. Rare that an Akshay Bhatia happens in the USA, re: skipping college.)
**Veteran** 27-32
**Elder Statesman## 33+

Ridiculous, being a veteran has nothing to do with age.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 06:18:12 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2024, 09:16:56 PM »
Do we know why Tiger keeps turning it down?

Too self absorded, as always

Says he is too busy.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Chris Hughes

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2024, 01:44:15 AM »

You would think a player such as Stuart Cink or Mark O'Meara would have been picked ahead of Bradley.

Why?

Chris Hughes

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2024, 01:51:04 AM »

Golf’s version of wrestling. The event is harmful. The war by the shore put the wrong perspective on the event. 

US Open crowd was embarrassing.

All child's play compared to what is going to take place at the old Lenox Hills Golf Club...

...gird up your loins...

...won't be at all surprised if the golfers get pulled off the course at some point during the event (due to crowd control/behaviour, not weather).

Phil Young

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2024, 02:02:13 AM »
Chris, fortunately they won't be playing at the old Lenox Hills Golf Club course, that is the Green course at Bethpage... ;D 

Chris Hughes

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2024, 02:03:46 PM »
Chris, fortunately they won't be playing at the old Lenox Hills Golf Club course, that is the Green course at Bethpage... ;D

I'm aware of that  ;) , it was just an under-the-radar reference to the original location/name of the club.

One thing this Ryder Cup will have going for it is ease of ingress/egress. 

I have been to many major/large golf tournaments and getting to/from Bethpage on the LIRR through the Farmingdale train station is as seamless/easy as it gets!! 

Chris Hughes

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2024, 02:06:12 PM »
rumor that LIV players are being considered

Excellent.

12 best should be the goal -- clearly DL3's "buddy system" does not work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back