News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

OT- Keegan Bradley 2025 RC Captain
« on: July 08, 2024, 06:02:30 PM »
....Will be announced at noon tomorrow. Woods turned it down.

Mike Bodo

Re: OT- Keegan Bradley 2025 RC Captain
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2024, 01:52:41 AM »
I think it's a great pick and gesture for a guy who was unceremoniously snubbed by the prior team captain. I wish him and the U.S. team well!
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Phil Young

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2024, 02:11:19 AM »
Keegan is the perfect captain for this Cup as he went to St. John's University and played on their golf team. Their home course? Bethpage Black.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2024, 02:55:18 AM »
I have been unable to forgive since Larry Nelson was repeatedly snubbed. I can now lay that burden down.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2024, 03:43:14 AM »
Just in case anyone’s forgotten ….. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W_eCQ7DmEdQ&pp=ygUYamltZW5leiBicmFkbGV5IGV4Y2hhbmdl
Ding, ding. Round 1
Atb

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2024, 09:47:12 AM »
I have been unable to forgive since Larry Nelson was repeatedly snubbed. I can now lay that burden down.
My first thought after hearing the announcement "Wait, how did Keegan become captain and Larry Nelson never did?"
Is he going to make Phil an assistant Captain?
Keegan is 4-1 in Ryder Cups playing with Mickelson and 0-2 in matches without Phil. Add in the Presidents Cup and he's 6-3 with Phil and 0-3 without. In 3 Ryder Cups/Presidents Cups he's never played with a partner who was not Phil Mickelson and has never won a singles match.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2024, 09:47:25 AM »
It would be pretty epic if he makes Larry Nelson Vice Captain.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2024, 10:17:03 AM »

YAAAAZZZZZ KING!!!!!!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2024, 10:42:43 AM »
Isn't he a bit young to be captain?  He is currently 38 - aren't most captains about 10 years older and typically about to become eligible for the senior tour when they are captain?  Like Tiger is now, or Zach Johnson who was 47 last year when he was captain.

John Blain

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2024, 11:55:01 AM »
It would be great but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm not even sure KB knows who Larry Nelson even is. The PGA of America had numerous opportunities to right a wrong but they passed every time. Instead of doing the right thing and finally giving Larry the gig that he so rightfully deserved we got Hal Sutton, Tom Lehman, Corey Pavin and Zach Johnson among others. I think Ted Bishop was on the cusp of giving Larry a shot but he decided instead to go with Tom Watson. How did that work out?
Hopefully Larry is at peace with everything. I think the most hurtful thing is that - to my knowledge - Larry to this day has never received an explanation from the PGA as to why he was thrown under the bus in favor of Tom Kite. I guess there are times in life where you just get screwed.

John Connolly

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2024, 12:04:39 PM »
The signal to noise ratio for the Ryder Cup has fallen so dramatically as to render the entire event farcical. Keegan, Dufner, or Rich Beem - what's the difference at this point?
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2024, 12:29:42 PM »
Interesting Tiger turned it down. I guess they were unwilling to then turn to Mickelson.
You would think a player such as Stuart Cink or Mark O'Meara would have been picked ahead of Bradley.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2024, 12:39:58 PM »
Larry Nelson has been overlooked for decades now and it is so obvious. The whole idea of a captain having to fit a certain age and motivate or whatnot. I think the captain is largely ceremonial and just has to get out of the way and let the players play. Larry Nelson was also a veteran IIRC so and probably the last veteran to win a major. Why not give the man his due 3x major champ.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve_Roths

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2024, 01:58:35 PM »
I think O'Meara will never get the nod for the PGA thinking he was greedy asking for appearance money to play in it.

As for Keegan and age, gees at least he fricking cares deeply about playing for his country.  So, good on him and the PGA here.  I think Beemer would do good as well. 

And, everyone can claim the Ryder Cup has lost something with players going to LIV etc.  But I guarantee you if you put the C-Squad up from Europe of Non-LIV players they will fight to the end.  And it will be worth watching.  Look at the last go round.  US was major favorites and got clocked.

Heart matters.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2024, 02:00:00 PM »
Stuart Cink is a nice guy (from all appearances) but I don't see him leading the team into the battle.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2024, 02:43:04 PM »
Now you have a captain who will pick the best guys for the team and not leave someone off the team because his wife doesn't like the players wife....
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2024, 03:07:36 PM »
I think O'Meara will never get the nod for the PGA thinking he was greedy asking for appearance money to play in it.

Steve-That’s exactly why he won’t get it and I don’t recall his name ever being in the mix. He has always seemed like a good guy and with that exception I can’t ever remember him being involved in any controversy on or off the course. David Duval may be paying the same price as he was on board with O’Meara in seeking compensation as a participant. Finally Woods was also a proponent but obviously has not been given the same treatment.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2024, 05:06:14 PM »
Isn't he a bit young to be captain?  He is currently 38 - aren't most captains about 10 years older and typically about to become eligible for the senior tour when they are captain?  Like Tiger is now, or Zach Johnson who was 47 last year when he was captain.

Younger guys who only made two teams have less scar tissue

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2024, 05:20:20 PM »
With the exception of Larry Nelson, PGA Championship winners who don't start rival golf leagues tend to get a shot.

Tom Kite was an odd choice. One major and no PGA. Tom Watson also had no PGA, but he was Tom Watson.

USA Winners since 1980
Jack-Did it
Larry1-Nope
Raymond-Did it
Hal-Did it
Lee-Did it
Hubert-rip
Tway-Nope
Larry2-Nope
Sluman-Did it
Payne-rip
Daly-Nope
Zing-Did it
Brooks-Nope
DL3-Did it
Tiger-Nope
Toms-Nope
Beem-Nope
Micheel-Nope
PM1&2-Nope
Keegan-Doing it
Duff-Nope
Walker-Nope
JT1&2-Nope
BK123-Nope
Collin-Nope
Xander-Nope

No names stand out for 2027 and beyond. It will be interesting.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2024, 05:34:58 PM »
From 2000-2015 the PGA Champ winners were mainly Tiger, Phil and a bunch of guys from outside of the US.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2024, 05:38:17 PM »
Do we know why Tiger keeps turning it down?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2024, 05:41:17 PM »
I’m good with Keegan Bradley being named but hope he puts aside the idea of being a playing captain if he makes the team on points. There are too many moving parts for the captain and playing will be a distraction from the task at hand.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2024, 06:50:43 PM »
I don't care about this choice--and, in fact, I don't even care about the Ryder Cup.  I'm somewhat disgusted with it.
It raises nationalistic, unhealthy emotions; the crowds have gotten out of control and no one in power seems to want to control them.  When the US Open crowd started chanting "USA" for Bryson, I was disgusted--and I blame the Ryder Cup for this.
Golf is--and has always been--an individual sport--and that is one of the best knocks on the LIV Tour.  No one really cares about golf teams in the final analysis.  I like many of the European players better than many of the US players.  And I don't think the honor of my country is really at stake at a silly event like the Ryder Cup.  I'd love to see it go away!  Or become just an exhibition as it used to be.

Daryl David

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2024, 07:52:14 PM »
Do we know why Tiger keeps turning it down?

Says he is too busy.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2024, 08:00:00 PM »
rumor that LIV players are being considered

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back