News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Venues for Scottish Open
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2024, 12:52:05 PM »

Not sure why the Irish Open moved to Sept., but I thought this comprised a compelling three week stretch of non-PGA Tour golf.

Precisely why it doesn't happen that way anymore.

The PGA TOUR is not interested in allowing a three week stretch of non-PGA TOUR golf.  Also, note that the Scottish Open is now an official co-sanctioned PGA TOUR event.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2024, 02:57:21 PM »

Precisely why it doesn't happen that way anymore.The PGA TOUR is not interested in allowing a three week stretch of non-PGA TOUR golf.  Also, note that the Scottish Open is now an official co-sanctioned PGA TOUR event.
I am guessing that neither would many of the players want a three week stretch in the UK and Ireland

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2024, 04:24:28 AM »
Every five years, there is a huge charity event sponsored by Dermot Desmond and JP McManus, and a lot of the big name players will turn up for that, so the Irish Open might be a big deal that year.  But the PGA TOUR isn’t involved with the Irish Open so it’s not likely to be elevated in status.

The assumption that more great players would turn up if the event was played at, say, Portmarnock, is projection.  As Mr Dye used to say, they would play in a parking lot for $5 million.  They want a few days in Scotland to get over the jet lag and adjust to the slower greens.  But you can only sell a links summer to the guys who are on what’s left of the European Tour.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2024, 06:52:04 AM »
A member of Cruden Bay told me recently that the club had aspirations to get The Scottish Open. Two of the holes on the redesigned St Olaf 9, would replace the blind 3rd and 15th on the main course. I believe he was referring to St Olaf's 5 - 383 yards - and 8th 417 yards. Running in opposite directions parallel and approximately between nos  2/3 and the 5th on the main course. 
Seems credible, if hardly an unimpeachable source.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2024, 07:05:58 AM »
CBGC would be a splendid venue golf and spectating wise but I suspect somewhat of a logistical nightmare from the spectator etc traffic perspective. Where there’s a will, and the money, there’s usually a way though.
Wish them well with their aspirations however.
Atb

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2024, 10:12:38 PM »
Find a few extra tees for 150-200 yards, play 10 as a par 4, and Nairn could host for sure. It's 75.0/142 from the Black tees already.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back