News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

What Tour Stop Holes Really Are Strategic?
« on: December 11, 2003, 10:08:44 AM »
After replying to the hockey thread, I have a question -

Which holes on the Regular PGA Tour stand out as having real alternate route options.  Obviously, Riviera 10 comes to mind.  TPC has the cape 18th.  On regular stops, what holes spring out at you as truly strategic?  And if so, why?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

George Pazin

Re:What Tour Stop Holes Really Are Strategic?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 10:50:43 AM »
Jeff -

I'll let Rich lecture you on why holes can't be strategic :) and instead will try to give a couple examples.

I think many of the holes at Kapalua require strategic thinking because they present such different shot requirements than the normal Tour stops.

You're certainly right about Riviera #10 - IMO the king of all holes.

TPC Sawgrass has quite a few holes that require real decisions and thought. I personally favor 9 & 16.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 01:30:28 PM »
Is ANGC a tour stop? ;D  13.14.15 there is a nice string of strategy...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

stovepipe

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 07:38:33 PM »
Stovey says.
                 How about Amen corner.....Shriek :'( AAhhh!

Imagine it, you have a 2 stroke lead,  ;D But you just happen to glance at the leaderboard, (although you promised yourself you would'nt) And you noticed a Bloody great Tiger on your rear-end, what you gunna-doo.

OOh! SSShhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 08:10:21 PM »
Earlier I had written down all the spots at Pebble where it could be perceived as what Jeff's talking about they all seemed to be situational based mostly on the moment.

But I have come up with a modern course example. I forget which course but it's the 18th hole where Mickelson and Toms went at it last year in a playoff and because Toms was on a downhill lie he knew he couldn't carry the water and chose to lay-up on the par 4. Was it the Players champ?

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 08:12:56 PM »
The 18th at Harbourtown

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 08:34:35 PM »
Adam,

It was the 18th at Atlanta Athletic Club in the 2001 PGA Championship.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back