News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Geez, that was fun
« on: July 02, 2024, 09:56:52 AM »
Courses that prompt me to say that (in no particular order):

Golspie
Ballyneal
Kilspindie
Elie
Bandon Preserve
Mulranny
Brora
Cruden Bay
Carne
Mid Pines
Fraserburgh

mike_malone

Re: Geez, that was fun
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2024, 10:34:26 AM »
I agree with those I also played except for Carne.

I would like to understand more why I love Mid Pines. I feel intimacy. I love the tree use and bunkering. The routing seems great. The walk is special. The turning of the holes and the green complexes also are fun.
But I still think there is an unexplained aura there.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 10:36:46 AM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Joe Wandro

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 10:41:57 AM »

I would like to understand more why I love Mid Pines. I feel intimacy. I love the tree use and bunkering. The routing seems great. The walk is special. The turning of the holes and the green complexes also are fun.

MP’s charm is subtle, and it isn’t trying to impress!

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 11:08:10 AM »

I debated Carne because the rough was very difficult, but at the end of the day, it was like the thrill of a roller coaster. We played in very high winds, and we were still talking about how much fun we had days later.

I have played Mid Pines over 15 times. Your description is spot on. I would only add the pleasure of drinks overlooking number 18 as a perfect way to top off the day.

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 11:26:54 AM »

I debated Carne because the rough was very difficult, but at the end of the day, it was like the thrill of a roller coaster. We played in very high winds, and we were still talking about how much fun we had days later.

I have played Mid Pines over 15 times. Your description is spot on. I would only add the pleasure of drinks overlooking number 18 as a perfect way to top off the day.

The walk at Carne from green to tee wasn’t fun and the greens were blah 20 years ago.
AKA Mayday

Brian Finn

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2024, 11:46:02 AM »
I tend to say this after playing nearly any true links, as I so strongly prefer it to what I experience more frequently in the US, but to single out a handful of courses that I consider exceptionally fun...

Shiskine
St. Enodoc
Prestwick
Cleeve Hill
Painswick
Pennard
Perranporth

In the US, not as many names immediately jump up, but I do always seem to have a lot of fun on CBM & Raynor courses.  There seems to be a certain joy to playing the templates across different terrains.  The first one I think of there is The Creek. 

Cape Arundel was definitely among the most fun courses I have played.

Among those already mentioned, Kilspindie and Mid Pines are very high on my fun list also.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 11:48:00 AM by Brian Finn »
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2024, 12:03:38 PM »
Dunbar - first round of our trip and no one else in my group had ever heard of it.  If an unknown can bring this many smiles, views, and great holes, then what is the rest of this trip going to be like

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2024, 12:06:19 PM »
Sticking with the GB&I theme:
About 20 years ago, I played with the captain of Royal North Devon. After I walked off ten, I said, "I haven't had so much fun on a golf course in years." He told me that they have overseas memberships. I joined on the spot, and I have loved every minute of being there over the years.  I was there around the time of my 60th birthday. It was a rainy and windy March day, and no one was on the course, and I was single. I decided to see if I could walk 60 holes. I had walked 50 holes at Sunningdale and Wentworth on the very day of my fiftieth birthday. RND is pretty flat. My favorite stretch is 5-10. I did a continuous loop until I could finish the round with 60 holes. It was one of my most fun days ever.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2024, 12:12:40 PM »
Seems that courses below championship level are the fun ones. I add

Deal
    Rye

Locally

Odessa National
AKA Mayday

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2024, 12:25:02 PM »

Deal
    Rye

Locally

Odessa National

You are a better player than I am if you had fun at Rye. Congratulations.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2024, 01:02:20 PM »
Milton Freewater (back 9)
Pacific Dunes
Rustic Canyon
Sagebrush
Sweetens Cove
Wolf Point
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 01:10:16 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2024, 01:14:11 PM »

The walk at Carne from green to tee wasn’t fun and the greens were blah 20 years ago.

Mike,

You would have played Carne before Ally’s work there. I highly recommend trying it again if your travels take you back to Ireland. You just need to make sure that you pick a day that they use the Wild Atlantic Way routing which includes Ally’s work.

Ira

Jeff Schley

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2024, 01:46:08 PM »
Some great memories we all have had for sure.  In terms of just fun:
  • The sacred nine
  • Valley Club at Montecito
  • North Berwick
  • TOC
  • Shoreacres
  • Austin Golf Club
  • Cruden Bay
  • Shanqin Bay
  • Cape Wickham
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2024, 02:18:23 PM »

Deal
    Rye

Locally

Odessa National

You are a better player than I am if you had fun at Rye. Congratulations.

Rye #13, par 4 with a blind second shot over the high dune is fun. I smile just thinking about it.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2024, 02:33:02 PM »
Some great memories we all have had for sure.  In terms of just fun:
  • The sacred nine
  • Valley Club at Montecito
  • North Berwick
  • TOC
  • Shoreacres
  • Austin Golf Club
  • Cruden Bay
  • Shanqin Bay
  • Cape Wickham

My bad for leaving NB off my list. Fun from start and especially to finish.

I found TOC enchantingly perplexing or perplexingly enchanting. But would not call it fun golf.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2024, 02:41:58 PM »
If I walk off a course having played the round at a sensible, without undue delay pace, without objectionable noise or hassle from other players, without any mud on my shoes and without having to remove my pitch-mark repairer from my pocket it’s likely been fun.
Atb

mike_malone

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2024, 02:42:49 PM »
 I was too studious on TOC to have fun. North Berwick is certainly fun and as was said comes to a crescendo.
AKA Mayday

Chris Hughes

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2024, 04:43:44 PM »
Roaring Gap
Westhampton
Harbour Town

Bill Gayne

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2024, 06:13:18 PM »
Just got back from a weekend in the Bay State playing Myopia Hunt Club and Kittansett. Myopia is an eleven on the one to ten fun meter. Second time at Myopia, played like a dog both times but the green complexes are like nothing I've seen elsewhere. I'll never have the precision to play the course well but there's so many unique architectural elements on a fantastic piece of land. Definitely need a sense of humor for my game at Myopia.

Kittansett in a 15-20 mph wind is very linksy and at times it reminded me of Ireland. I haven't experienced many Flynn courses but I thought Kittansett really shows his genius. What a fun round!

Joe Zucker

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2024, 09:04:35 PM »
Milton Freewater (back 9)
Pacific Dunes
Rustic Canyon
Sagebrush
Sweetens Cove
Wolf Point

Pete, what about Pacific Dunes makes it fun to you?  I think it's an awesome course, but fun is not the first adjective for me. I would describe #2, #6, and #10 as fun, but not many of the other holes.  Mostly because I think it's a pretty difficult course.  I find Bandon Dunes to be more fun because I think it's more playable.  I'm curious to hear your perspective here.

mike_malone

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2024, 09:05:38 PM »
Just got back from a weekend in the Bay State playing Myopia Hunt Club and Kittansett. Myopia is an eleven on the one to ten fun meter. Second time at Myopia, played like a dog both times but the green complexes are like nothing I've seen elsewhere. I'll never have the precision to play the course well but there's so many unique architectural elements on a fantastic piece of land. Definitely need a sense of humor for my game at Myopia.

Kittansett in a 15-20 mph wind is very linksy and at times it reminded me of Ireland. I haven't experienced many Flynn courses but I thought Kittansett really shows his genius. What a fun round!

Lost my number?
AKA Mayday

Jeff Tang

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2024, 09:52:46 PM »
The Park in West Palm Beach, FL. Doesn’t beat you up but still has a lot of fun shots and strategy.
So bad it's good!

Bill Gayne

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2024, 06:53:02 AM »

Lost my number?

HaHa, looking forward to seeing you at BUDA.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2024, 01:10:34 PM »
Here in Minnesota:
White Bear Yacht Club
Town & Country
Northland

Illinois:
Shoreacres
Old Elm

North Carolina:
Tobacco Road
Pinehurst #3

Wisconsin:
Lawsonia Links

Maine:
Cape Arundel
Megunticook

Florida:
Winter Park 9
The Park

Michigan:
Dunes Club

South Dakota:
Sutton Bay

Montana:
Rock Creek Cattle Company

H.P.S.

Buddy Aiken

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2024, 08:51:56 PM »
I'll play along.

I've always thought that Merion West was one of the best examples of simply fun.

Some others that haven't been mentioned which come to mind for me are:

Somerset Hills
Woking
New Zealand (London)
Hershey - West
Yeamans Hall
Brancaster

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back