News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Way, Way OT - Mickelson/Senior Open
« on: June 29, 2024, 06:56:06 PM »
Does anyone know why Phil Mickelson is not playing in the US Senior Open at Newport? I don't think he played in the US Senior Open last year either.

Rob Marshall

Re: Way, Way OT - Mickelson/Senior Open
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2024, 07:44:39 PM »
Was he exempt?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2024, 08:00:06 PM »

JohnVDB

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2024, 11:17:58 AM »
If a player wins the PGA Championship within 10 years of becoming a senior he is exempt for the rest of that period.  Phil was already 50 when he won so he gets 10 years from then.

Perhaps he can’t afford the $300 entry fee.😉

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2024, 11:50:30 AM »
Perhaps he needed  a break after a T37 at Houston and a T40 in Nashville , his last 2 LIV events.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2024, 12:05:10 PM »
I was always a Big Phil fan, sad to say he has become irrrelevant
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2024, 12:27:49 PM »
He might appear at the Scottish Open on July 11 and the British Open on July 18
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Paul Jones

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2024, 10:55:33 PM »
Perhaps he needed  a break after a T37 at Houston and a T40 in Nashville , his last 2 LIV events.

Sadly, so has Tiger.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2024, 07:43:47 AM »

Sadly, so has Tiger.

Tiger is quite relevant in the world of professional golf; he’s just not really competitive.  Mickelson is neither competitive nor relevant.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2024, 05:14:14 PM »
Phil has won a U.S. Amateur so it’s not like he doesn’t have a USGA title. That said with all the close calls at the U.S. Open I thought this tournament would be one he would play in as long as he’s eligible. I would think he would be among the short list of players who had a chance although his current form may counter that. It would be interesting to know the back story why he didn’t play.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2024, 08:40:16 PM »

Sadly, so has Tiger.
Tiger is quite relevant in the world of professional golf; he’s just not really competitive.  Mickelson is neither competitive nor relevant.
It will be interesting to see how much Seniors golf Tiger plays.  I imagine he will want to try to add the US Senior Open to his collection of USGA titles - his three US Juniors, three US Ams and three US Opens.

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2024, 10:21:49 PM »
To attempt to answer my own question, my guess is there are two possible reasons Mickleson did not play in this year's Senior Open.

1) He has not been a fan of US Open setups in the past and is not inclined to do any favors for the USGA.

2) He still thinks he is competitive in regular tour events and sees competing in senior events as an admission that he is not.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 12:06:17 AM »
Any bettors out there who are willing to place a bet on Mickelson finishing in the Top 5 or 10 of the Scottish Open and The Open,if he attends ?  ;D
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:27:13 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 07:55:08 AM »
Phil has won a U.S. Amateur so it’s not like he doesn’t have a USGA title. That said with all the close calls at the U.S. Open I thought this tournament would be one he would play in as long as he’s eligible. I would think he would be among the short list of players who had a chance although his current form may counter that. It would be interesting to know the back story why he didn’t play.

Wouldn't it be Philronic if he continued to skip the Senior US Open, then had a PGA like week and won the US Open, only to never win the US Senior Open to complete the trifecta
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Keith Phillips

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 10:13:57 AM »
Phil remains a fan favorite and is highly relevant to the world of golf.  He won a major only three years ago and finished T-2 at last year's Masters.  And after Greg Norman he is most responsible for LIV's obvious relevance - DJ, Reed, Sergio, Brooks, Cam, Rahm might never have moved to LIV without Phil's leadership.  Every pro golfer is making 2x what they were just 2 years ago.  I'd say Phil has never been more relevant.

Tommy Williamsen

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back