News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Morandi

GB&I Golf Trip Budget
« on: June 25, 2024, 01:28:21 PM »
It’s been a few decades since I took a golf tour to Scotland and Ireland. Quickly browsing green fees for some of my favorite courses, some famous and others less so, I see that they range approximately from £250-500 a round. Add caddies, a driver or car rental, food, hotel and flights from the USA, and a 7-10 day trip cost 50% of my annual dues at a pretty respectable club. I’m glad I was able to play the GB&I in the late 1990’s. I know Covid hit the golf clubs hard. Are they just trying to make up for lost opportunity costs during that period or making a killing charging what the market will bear?  When I played Lundin Links some time ago, the club secretary had just returned from Bandon and said there was no need for Americans on the west coast to come to Scotland anymore. At these prices, I think I will take his advice, which is a bit sad. What is a reasonable estimate for a 7-10 days tour playing a mix of the “top” courses and “hidden gems”? 

Brian Moran

Re: GB&I Golf Trip Budget
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2024, 02:12:07 PM »
I think you can make UK golf a lot cheaper than you'd think. And, depending on where you're coming from in the US, Scotland is easier and possibly cheaper to get to than Bandon, with cheaper lodging and no need for caddies. And while there's no disputing that even though Bandon is really special, it can't compare to Scotland.

I spent a semester at St Andrews and here's what I learned on the matter. Obviously as a 21 year old my standards were probably lower than most in pursuit of budget golf, but here's how I did it:

1) Public transit - Scotrail and busses are incredibly easy, I played 20 courses in Scotland without ever having a car. It's super cheap to get around and only remote courses like Macrihanish are inaccessible.

2) Accompanied play - This is a bit tougher but not as hard as you'd think. Accompanied guest play is dirt cheap - most I ever spent on a round with a member was 25 quid at Dornoch. If you know someone who has a membership over there, I'm sure they could help you with at least a few connections. And it could've been because I was a student, but found that people were more than happy to set me up with members to play with (it doesn't cost them anything!)

3) Lodging - Again, my standards were definitely lower, but you can always find something cheaper on Airbnb or any travel site. Guest houses are cheap and you can meet a lot of interesting people on similar trips and knowledgeable, friendly locals. My one piece of advice if you're looking to save money for the St Andrews part of the trip: stay in Guardbridge, as I know lodging in town is crazy expensive. Guardbridge is 5 mins away by a bus that runs every ten minutes, and has much cheaper Airbnb's.

4) Caddies - Playing with members tended to make this easier as you'd have someone to point you around, but one thing I found interesting is that you'd never see locals taking caddies. I played a few rounds where we just paid the full rate, for example at Muirfield and Carnoustie, where even still a yardage book would suffice. Again, I'm in my 20's and not used to the norm of taking a caddie, but I think you're perfectly fine without one.

5) Season - Golf and lodging tends to be cheaper in shoulder seasons and the weather isn't variable enough to make it risky. Some courses will require you to use fairway mats but frankly that doesn't make any difference. I was there from January-May and had a few early morning rounds cancelled due to frost and only one day where it was raining too much to play golf (for the most part rain was never worse than a blowing drizzle)

6) Courses - Scotland's gift is that it has spades of incredible courses. I'd say one's golf resume isn't complete without playing the Old, Muirfield, North Berwick (some would throw Dornoch in there too). These are worth spending money on. If you don't want to spend as much, don't bother with Turnberry, Carnoustie, Kingsbarns, etc. There are plenty of incredible courses which won't break the bank. Here are just a few I've found across the country just off the top of my head:

Highlands: Tain, Golspie, Brora, Boat of Garten
Fife: Crail, St Andrews Eden, Elie, Anstruther
East Lothian: Braid Hills, Musselburgh, Dunbar

I don't have an exact number for you, as I also mixed in hopping on Ryanair flights across Europe with friends every other weekend. But if I had to guess I likely spent no more than 1500 on golf in about 60 rounds in St Andrews and maybe 20 outside of it (most of which was from Muirfield and the 400 student annual membership at St Andrews)

I don't have any insight on Ireland or England, but am headed there in a few weeks. Hope this helps!

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2024, 02:22:22 PM »
For starters, drop the caddies and driver. That will save a bit of dosh.

I would expect to pay £300 in green fees over four days with the proviso that only one marquee course will be played. £300 would for three nights accommodations. Add car and food/drinks on top. What’s that, £800 for four days? Call it £1400 all in except flight for three nights and four games.

But it can be done cheaper. We are doing Stonehaven, Cruden Bay, Fraserburgh and Cruden Bay St Olaf while staying at Premier Inn Aberdeen Centre. Cost will be about £500 plus car, food and drink. Just have to avoid  the rip off clubs.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Handley

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2024, 02:25:26 PM »
I book trips to GB&I and would be happy to give you some help or free advice.

The real decision is what type of trip do you want.  Do you want to play Top 100 (type) courses, stay in nice hotels, and be driven around in a Sprinter van or are you looking to keep it within a smaller budget (ie. drive yourself around or take public transport, play hidden gems, etc).  It is just a matter or preference and budget.

I've played many courses in Scotland and Ireland and I am now making my way through England.  I am super bullish on England and love the experience these clubs offer.

Know that you can only get onto Old Course through a specific tour operator scheme or the lottery.  Most Top 100 courses in Scotland and N. Ireland are probably already booked for 2025 ie. Muirfield, Royal County Down, Portrush, Troon, etc.  But you can still put great trips together.

PM me if you need specific advice or have any questions.

Mike - I didn't;t realize it was you when I responded. As a fellow Cal Club member, you should just call me. :)

John
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2024, 03:22:03 PM »
In 1982-83 I spent just over $9000 to be there for nine months, drive 13,000 miles, see 170 courses, and play about 100 rounds of golf.  To be fair, about half of my golf was comped, but one of my biggest expenses was film & processing!

Mike Worth

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2024, 03:37:23 PM »
It’s been a few decades since I took a golf tour to Scotland and Ireland. Quickly browsing green fees for some of my favorite courses, some famous and others less so, I see that they range approximately from £250-500 a round. Add caddies, a driver or car rental, food, hotel and flights from the USA, and a 7-10 day trip cost 50% of my annual dues at a pretty respectable club. I’m glad I was able to play the GB&I in the late 1990’s. I know Covid hit the golf clubs hard. Are they just trying to make up for lost opportunity costs during that period or making a killing charging what the market will bear?  When I played Lundin Links some time ago, the club secretary had just returned from Bandon and said there was no need for Americans on the west coast to come to Scotland anymore. At these prices, I think I will take his advice, which is a bit sad. What is a reasonable estimate for a 7-10 days tour playing a mix of the “top” courses and “hidden gems”?

I’ve just returned from 31 days in the UK.

To be clear, they are charging high prices because they can get it (people WILL pay).

Depending on when you go, you can get a weekly rental car for roughly £600. This includes full coverages which I recommend. if you stay geographically centered, you won’t spend a whole lot on gasoline

If you’re mixing Open courses with lessor knowns, you can expect to pay an average of £350 per high-end course, perhaps more. A lesser known course would cost you between £70 and 175 £ (this is what I paid).

I only took a caddy twice – – at TOC and Royal St. George’s.

I decided to go with better lodging this trip as opposed to my last two 30 day trips. That meant no Premier Inn lol - although they are always a solid bet for a full English breakfast at £10.99. The key to booking better lodging at a reasonable price is to book early. I would say a moderate quality room averaged around £135 per night — I booked fully two months in advance.

I never budget for food on these trips. Breakfast is simple enough and because of golf and other activities I often don’t eat much or any lunch.  For dinner I would either go with high-end “yes I’m getting a steak that evening for £40.” There are some palatable lower end options like kebab and pizza which I did.  I will also fess up to twice going to McDonald’s and getting the 3 item for £3 special. OK maybe I did it three times lol

Converting to US dollars you can expect to pay $2500 for a week.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 03:44:16 PM by Mike Worth »

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2024, 03:43:36 PM »
I don’t know that you can put a price on having a driver. It may sound like a luxury but money well spent IMO.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2024, 03:51:39 PM »
I don’t know that you can put a price on having a driver. It may sound like a luxury but money well spent IMO.

Definitely worth the cost. 

Brian Moran

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2024, 04:08:47 PM »

Mark
Agreed - our driver back from Muirfield to St A's was a game changer, but such a tosser. Couldn't have stopped on the side of the highway in Scotrail  ;)

John Handley

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 04:17:08 PM »
If you are going with 8 or more, the proper investment is a driver.  Make the journey more fun, and my guys like to have a pop or three after the rounds.  No need for the stress of driving when you're on vacation or not enjoying the bar if that's your thing.

My trips are different as the guys I book have the money to spend and want a great experience.  I tell them to budget $800-1,000 per day. Top courses, nice hotels, driver, etc. But these are guys that don't mind dropping $5k for a business class ticket either.

GB&I offers so much that you can do it on any type of budget.  I just love it over there.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Ken Moum

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2024, 04:21:25 PM »

Oh, I don't know, my wife and I have been there four times for a total of 27 weeks, driving and Arnold Clark's white work van, with a manual transmission, and the screaming from the passenger seat usually stops after a few days.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2024, 05:20:35 PM »
I drove my boys around Ireland on a golf trip earlier this month.  I don't see the benefit of a driver.  We stayed in small towns and after the round we'd each have a pint at the course, but then would go back to the local hotel (and nearby pubs within walking distance) for more.

None of the course clubhouses were anything special in terms of atmosphere compared to local pubs or even the hotel bars.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2024, 05:23:40 PM »
Some good advice here. Like everything else, there are lots of choices to be made based on priorities.

The best way to do a less expensive trip is to base yourself in an area with limited travel. Go to one or two premium courses, and play other rounds at "lower tier" ones. This website has a wealth of information on possibilities. Look at Sean Arble's course reviews. If you really want to save, come to Buda some September. This year, we are playing two days at Crail, one at Elie, Eden/Himalayas and the golf costs under $600 for the four days. Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen added nearly $500 a guy for golf.  An airbnb in Crail (shared with one other person) costs about $90/person/night. You can do a very good trip that's affordable.

I've never had a driver. I'm too cheap. I can wait to drink until I get to where I'm staying.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2024, 10:02:27 PM »
A lot of good points have been made on how to do a great GBI trip on a budget. The upcoming trip I'm doing that I'm as excited about as any is a budget trip with old friends who wanted a reasonable priced trip and to get somewhat off the beaten path.

We're going to West Kilbride, Machrihanish, Dunaverty, Carradale, and Shiskine with multiple rounds at each. It will be their first trip to Scotland, I guarantee they will go home talking about how much fun the golf was and the unique GCA they saw.

Michael Morandi

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2024, 10:28:25 PM »
Someone should write a guide book (maybe they  have) identifying the best GB&I courses under £100

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2024, 01:27:03 AM »
Someone should write a guide book (maybe they  have) identifying the best GB&I courses under £100

With the continuing significant green fee increases the book could be badly out of date in a few years. As an example places like Goswick and Silloth were always heralded as great bang for buck courses that were cheap. Both are now about £100. Guess what happens? Goswick gets a bit of money and rep and they want to change the course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jeff Schley

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2024, 02:23:57 AM »
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,72560.0.html

Should help show how expensive the visitors fees have gotten.  Not cheap at all.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2024, 02:30:49 AM »
Just before covid we did a very nice Philadelphia trip. One evening we went to a very pleasant steak house and my brother asked what came with his $80 steak, watercress was the reply. With $15 fries, $15 veg and 20% service a simple plate of steak with no drinks was $130. That evening in a modest steak house would get you a round at several world top 100s in the UK.
Cave Nil Vino

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2024, 08:25:50 AM »
Just before covid we did a very nice Philadelphia trip. One evening we went to a very pleasant steak house and my brother asked what came with his $80 steak, watercress was the reply. With $15 fries, $15 veg and 20% service a simple plate of steak with no drinks was $130. That evening in a modest steak house would get you a round at several world top 100s in the UK.

Mark,

Not to hijack the OP’s thread, but for perspective I recall paying the following prices for rounds at American courses:

Pinehurst #2: $40
Harbor Town: $45
Pebble Beach: $60

Yes, that was a while back!

Tim
Tim Weiman

Brian Finn

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2024, 08:34:49 AM »
Some good advice here. Like everything else, there are lots of choices to be made based on priorities.

The best way to do a less expensive trip is to base yourself in an area with limited travel. Go to one or two premium courses, and play other rounds at "lower tier" ones. This website has a wealth of information on possibilities. Look at Sean Arble's course reviews. If you really want to save, come to Buda some September. This year, we are playing two days at Crail, one at Elie, Eden/Himalayas and the golf costs under $600 for the four days. Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen added nearly $500 a guy for golf.  An airbnb in Crail (shared with one other person) costs about $90/person/night. You can do a very good trip that's affordable.

I've never had a driver. I'm too cheap. I can wait to drink until I get to where I'm staying.
This is precisely how I have chosen to make multiple trips over the last several years. Leveraging the Arble course reviews and patiently wading through searches of past threads, I've prioritized the areas to visit, the courses to play, and even learned about places to stay and eat/drink. My traveling group has truly enjoyed staying in one spot for a week+, limited driving to/from golf, experiencing local spots, and playing both the well-known and lesser-known courses.  They benefit significantly by having a driver (me), which I rarely mind.  My only regret is that I still haven't been to a Buda.
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs)...

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2024, 09:33:54 AM »
I'm on the "drive myself" side of the fence. Daylight extends past 10:00 during the summer, so there is ample time to play golf, then hop in your car and go explore. I'd hate to be tied down to a group itinerary.

I typically do a 2-3 week trip to Ireland or Scotland in the summer. I assume it will cost at least $10k for flight, car, hotels, greens fees, and food. Everything is expensive these days. The best way to save money is to find the courses that offer a discount for a second round. I usually play 36 a day, so if one round is $200, but I can pay $300 for 36 (or sometimes it's for unlimited golf that day), I'm in.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2024, 09:50:30 AM »
David Jones (UK Golf Guy) prepared a table with prices for the "top 100" UK courses. Easy to skim and look for relative bargains. To be sure, guest fees at the top end are quite high, but so are unaccompanied fees at top US courses. I think part of our problem with visiting the UK is since we can relatively easily access the top courses, those are the ones we gravitate too. And sure, it's expensive. But it's possible to have fantastic trips centered around less expensive options.
https://www.ukgolfguy.com/golf-blog

Ben Sims

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2024, 10:31:47 AM »
There’s still some screaming deals with regard to green fees. Machrihanish is admittedly a long way, it’s also £120 for a round. £550 for a week ticket.

Do you have to take in as many courses as possible? Or is bedding down in one place acceptable to you?

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2024, 11:19:37 AM »
David Jones (UK Golf Guy) prepared a table with prices for the "top 100" UK courses. Easy to skim and look for relative bargains. To be sure, guest fees at the top end are quite high, but so are unaccompanied fees at top US courses. I think part of our problem with visiting the UK is since we can relatively easily access the top courses, those are the ones we gravitate too. And sure, it's expensive. But it's possible to have fantastic trips centered around less expensive options.
https://www.ukgolfguy.com/golf-blog

John

Because "you" gravitate to the top courses, they are expensive. It's about supply and demand and even though US visitors make up a minority of visiting golfers they set the tone at the top clubs because they are willing to pay top dollar. What the rest of us could benefit from in terms of reducing the level of greenfees is strengthening of the pound against the dollar and/or some other event that reduces the number of American visitors or their willingness to spend.

Niall

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2024, 11:26:44 AM »
I have made over a dozen trips to GB&I. One trip worth considering is to fly into Bristol and play courses in Somerset (Burnham and Berrow), Devon (Westward Ho!, Saunton), Cornwall (St Enodoc, Trevose), and if you have time, wander into Wales (Porthcawl, Southerndown, Pennard). The golf is wonderful, and the driving is relatively benign if you don't mind driving on the left. It can be crowded in the summer, but September is a great time to go, and the green fees at most of these courses are reasonable. there are other courses you could add.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back