News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

Just came across this and I thought I'd share for the folks in the Bay Area. Lake Chabot GC (William Lock, 1923) aerial photography shows some major changes between 1938 and 1965. The most interesting changes is a lost 15th and 16th hole, that was combine into the bizarre 16th hole that exists today. The original course also is missing the current 12th extremely short and uninspired par 3. It looks like the original 15th green should be around here on google maps.

Notably, the par 6, 18th hole, seems to to be original. Here are the photos:

1938:

1965 shows the course mostly as it exists today:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 11:34:44 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Matt Schoolfield

The changes highlighted in pink, for reference:

versus the routing as it exist today:

GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Kalen Braley

Matt,

Thanks for posting this up.

Lake Chabot is certainly one of the quirkiest courses I've ever played, with the drop shot 9th, hitting back and forth over the road on 2-5,11 and then the bonkers 18th. I really enjoyed the latter part of the course where (at least back when I regularly played it in the late 90s) you had some spectacular views on 14 and 15.

Based on Google Earth elevation measurements, its looks like the changes might have been for the better. (even if the new 12 is a bit tight).  With the old configuration, 15 played approx. 100 feet down the hill on 15, and then more than 100 feet back up the hill to 16 green.

With the current config you play over that canyon with the tee shot on 16 with typically only a short wedge flip to the green, (which appears to be roughly in the same spot as the prior one).

P.S.  One of my fave holes on the course was 10, really loved how it curved thru that section with the side of the hill on the right.

Ian_L

Thanks for sharing, Matt. Here is my brief photo tour from 16 years ago (!!). Sorry for the ugly Photobucket watermarks:

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36215.0.html

Funny enough, I marked 16 as one or my favorites. It's definitely funky.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back