News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Re: Modern Greens Gone Too Far?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2024, 08:51:54 AM »
For me the crux of this discussion comes down to what part of the myriad challenges of golf is more fun and/or interesting. Personally I find full shots and recovery shots the most satisfying/fun part of the game. I really enjoy the challenge and physical feedback that comes from a well struck shot.

Clearly putting, pitching and chipping are part of the game but grinding over 18 holes of very complex greens with small shelves/pinning areas and double/triple breaks does not make for an enjoyable day for me. I'm not calling for 18 flat plates wit simple and obvious recovery shots by any means. There is a balance of what the courses are asking out of the player in order to be successful. Extreme green complexes, especially at higher speeds, can get tiresome and also make the game feel too heavily pointed towards luck over skill. Random outcomes are a part of the game and I love links golf and appreciate that an appropriate balance of luck/skill is great fun. 

It is when this gets skewed too much towards the short game and more imbalanced towards more random and high variance outcomes that the game becomes less enjoyable for me. I find this most likely on more modern architecture at high green speeds.

Tim_Weiman

Re: Modern Greens Gone Too Far?
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2024, 09:45:47 AM »
For me the crux of this discussion comes down to what part of the myriad challenges of golf is more fun and/or interesting. Personally I find full shots and recovery shots the most satisfying/fun part of the game. I really enjoy the challenge and physical feedback that comes from a well struck shot.

Clearly putting, pitching and chipping are part of the game but grinding over 18 holes of very complex greens with small shelves/pinning areas and double/triple breaks does not make for an enjoyable day for me. I'm not calling for 18 flat plates wit simple and obvious recovery shots by any means. There is a balance of what the courses are asking out of the player in order to be successful. Extreme green complexes, especially at higher speeds, can get tiresome and also make the game feel too heavily pointed towards luck over skill. Random outcomes are a part of the game and I love links golf and appreciate that an appropriate balance of luck/skill is great fun. 

It is when this gets skewed too much towards the short game and more imbalanced towards more random and high variance outcomes that the game becomes less enjoyable for me. I find this most likely on more modern architecture at high green speeds.

Jim,

Can you share with us three courses where the balance towards the short game has made playing the course less enjoyable for you?

Thanks,

Tim
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back