News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Newport CC US Senior Open
« on: June 23, 2024, 08:24:29 PM »
Are any GCA'ers coming out this week? I'm volunteering on #8 (nines flipped this week), but would love to say hi to anyone who is in town or who wants to grab a bite to eat.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike_Clayton

Re: Newport CC US Senior Open
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2024, 09:13:07 PM »
Mat Goggin - our client at Seven Mile Beach (Tasmania) is playing and he's always happy to talk about what's happening in Hobart.
It's his first Senior Tour event - 2 spot qualifier. He shot 63 - next best was 68.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2024, 10:01:40 PM »
Ed, it sure is good to see you poke your head back into the treehouse. I hope you are well.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Chris Hughes

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2024, 12:12:34 AM »
Mat Goggin - our client at Seven Mile Beach (Tasmania) is playing and he's always happy to talk about what's happening in Hobart.
It's his first Senior Tour event - 2 spot qualifier. He shot 63 - next best was 68.
He has put in a TON of work the last few years, including distance work like Paddy and others have done.  I believe the tourney will actually be Matt's very first senior event, hoping either he or Blandy win it!

Should be a great event on a great golf course!!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2024, 03:18:19 AM »

Thanks for the heads up Clayts - Could put a each way bet on Mat he was close at Turnberry and Marion

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2024, 03:29:21 AM »
He has put in a TON of work the last few years, including distance work like Paddy and others have done.  I believe the tourney will actually be Matt's very first senior event, hoping either he or Blandy win it!

Should be a great event on a great golf course!!

He was second in a smaller Australian tour event in the summer - so he can still really play. And he's long for his age!

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2024, 05:49:08 AM »
Ed-I’ll be there on Wednesday and will try and catch you on the 8th hole.

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2024, 08:28:13 AM »
Wow, this thread brings back so many wonderful memories: meeting Ed and a few others when I hosted a small dinner during the 2007 US Open at Oakmont, printing shirts for Mat Goggin and Greg Ramsay for the 08 US Open, starting my honeymoon in Newport, reading Mike’s book about his life in Golf… amazing. All I need is for Tom Paul to chime in with stories about Buddy Marucci playing Tiger in the US Am at Newport…

I’m still in my June craziness or I’d jump in my car and head to Newport. Have fun, Ed and Tim! Go Mat!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2024, 08:01:53 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Mike. I'll keep an eye out for him.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 08:05:24 PM »
Sounds good Tim. I'll be on #8 from 8:15 until 2:15 I believe. I don't know where on the hole I'll be positioned yet. Text me at 919 360-4855 if you can't find me.
Regards,
Ed

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2024, 12:56:25 PM »
Sounds good Tim. I'll be on #8 from 8:15 until 2:15 I believe. I don't know where on the hole I'll be positioned yet. Text me at 919 360-4855 if you can't find me.
Regards,
Ed

Ed-Sorry we didn’t connect. It wasn’t the most fan friendly walk as I don’t recall being at another event and not able to see the holes in sequence. We got hemmed into a bunch of areas where you had to turn around and walk all the back to the fairway crossing that got you there. We walked down to 14 green and had to turn around without being able to get to 15 tee. Same thing on the other side trying to get from 6 to 7. That said the course looked terrific and the considerably cooler weather made Newport the place to be. High marks for the chili dog except for it being messy enough to need a shower or a power wash. ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 01:14:03 PM by Tim Martin »

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2024, 01:11:00 PM »
It is amazing to watch how poorly these guys are playing 18 (I guess it is now the 9th with the nines flipped). How many of them are going to hit a full wedge with too much spin and suck it off the green before they realize they need to hit a flighted 9 iron to reduce spin so it stays up there? It's really surprising to see how many times it's happened just in the 30 or so minutes I've been watching. They did play practice rounds, right?

John Handley

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2024, 07:18:54 PM »
The pro at my club in Austin is T3 at -4.  What an epic day!
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2024, 08:02:50 PM »

66 to start - not bad for someone who has spend a lot more time in the last 10 years trying to get a golf course started and built than he has playing.

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2024, 09:04:18 PM »
John Handley -

What is your pro's name? There are quite a few guys at -4.

DT

ed_getka

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2024, 09:06:05 PM »
Mat came through the hole I was marshaling today. He was locked in so I didn't bother him. He was one of the few who came through that seemed to be enjoying himself. Of course at -3 when I saw him he had reason to smile.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2024, 10:20:17 PM »

66 to start - not bad for someone who has spend a lot more time in the last 10 years trying to get a golf course started and built than he has playing.

My mum played in LGU tournaments with his mum Lindy. She could also turn up after some time off and shoot close to par.

I'll be there tomorrow (Friday) and will try to say hello...
Next!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 01:45:16 AM »

My mum played in LGU tournaments with his mum Lindy. She could also turn up after some time off and shoot close to par.

I'll be there tomorrow (Friday) and will try to say hello...

His mum was a great amateur player - lost the final of the US Am to Julie Inkster (Simpson) when she birdied the last 2 holes to win 1 up.

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 08:59:25 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back