News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Re: Castle Course at St Andrews versus Kingsbarns
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2024, 05:46:54 PM »
£418 for 18-holes (at Kingsbarns)! Yikes! No thanks.
Atb

Ben Stephens

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2024, 03:10:57 AM »
Ben

Who is the GCA for Balmedie 2 ?

Niall

He is a talented golf course architect who I know (not many GCAers know him) - it should be revealed in the Golf Course Architecture media soon and Martin Hawtree is a consultant

Ben Stephens

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2024, 03:16:00 AM »

Umm isn't your new course at Cabot Highlands quite constructed as it was basically flat farmland prior to Clyde working on it. The CGI's show a lot of contours which can be easily interpreted as being heavily constructed - just saying.

Ben:

Yes, it is mostly constructed, and I very nearly turned the job down for precisely that reason, but Ben Cowan-Dewar persisted in wanting to work with me, and one of Mark Parsinen's friends [who had the most $ in the project] also encouraged me to take it up.  It's also a great opportunity for Clyde to work somewhere near home and he deserved that after years on the road for me.

Don't pay much attention to the CGI; we have moved quite a lot of dirt to get the fairways on free-draining soil, but it was never our intention to sell the most inland holes as "links" and that's the part that probably bothers me most about Kingsbarns, Castle Stuart and the others, that they feel they have to do that.  There are lots of great seaside courses with some holes off the links ground . . . Ballybunion, Royal Dornoch, St. Enodoc, Westward Ho!, even Cruden Bay has one or two.

I also agree that there is some great land for the second Trump course [or at least, a few holes of it].  When I had the topo maps to look at it years ago, I thought the best part was the dunes just south of the existing course.  If the Scottish government had told Trump he couldn't go into the shifting dunes, and had to settle for one course, I think it would have been better.  And I think he expected them to push back on that, but they never negotiated with him about it!

Thank you for your honesty. I am looking forward to seeing Clyde's work. 

If there are no contour plans provided to the CGI company there can be a tendency of overdoing things in terms of the shaping and contours. One recent CGI compared to the final real version was quite a bit different and the real version looked better.

They have already hydroseeded some of the fairways on Trump 2. It looks like Cabot Highlands 2 And Trump 2 will be open for play from 2026 onwards.

Roman Schwarz

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2024, 08:41:11 AM »
I've only played each course once...but they were both on the same day.  It was an admittedly brutal 36.

I may be in the minority, but I don't have strong feelings about the Castle.  It was a fun play, but it wouldn't be what I'd go to Scotland for.  We played it because there was a gap in the schedule and it was convenient to where we needed to be (Kingsbarns after more of our group flew in).  The course just feels like A LOT, but not in a natural way...making it feel very American.  I didn't think the greens were too wild in general, but I found a few cases where the severe greens and the relatively narrow fairways clashed.  The place I really would have liked to attack the pin from was often 20-30 yards into the weeds.

I liked Kingsbarns, but I think the shortcomings have all been spelled out here pretty thoroughly.  I do like that both 9's traverse the land in both directions from the clubhouse, unlike Castle.  The returning 9's feels pretty American in both cases, but it feels a little more like happenstance than pure planning at Kingsbarns.  Kingsbarns wins on feel, but if I went "hole by hole", it would win over Castle pretty handily as well.

A non-GCA feather for Kingsbarns:  they stay open for dinner for the last group coming in, which we were.  This was my first time full day in Scotland, and we weren't aware how difficult it is to find substantive food after a late round.

The cost is too much, though.  I'd rather play either Elie or Carnoustie than Kingsbarns, but for the price you can come close to playing both of them instead.  If we're just comparing to more modern courses, I strongly prefer Castle Stuart to both Kingsbarns and Castle.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2024, 01:25:06 PM »
I enjoyed the Castle course in 2017 and would certainly not recommend folks against it. I dont think Kingsbarns is a lot better, and preferred Castle Stuart to Kingsbarns, even though I played it in the worse weather I have encountered in SCO.

But they are not links courses and the experience is way different to links.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2024, 02:53:49 PM »
Count me in with the heathens.  I've only played each once but I'd go back to the Castle before Kingsbarns.  What really struck me about KB was that it has been designed to flatter the average golfer.  I played OK but not well and was 8 shots better than handicap at the turn.  Drives flared either side found their way back into play.  I just really enjoyed the Castle, though I really don't mind getting beaten up if there are fun shots to be tried.

My understanding is that the Craighead course was built on a limited budget and that earth moving was restricted to green sites.  Otherwise it remains a pretty flat site.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2024, 03:58:06 PM »
What really struck me about KB was that it has been designed to flatter the average golfer.  I played OK but not well and was 8 shots better than handicap at the turn.  Drives flared either side found their way back into play.

I mean I think that is unarguably true. Mark P was a very thoughtful man, and part of his philosophy was that he wanted golfers to come off his courses happy, and, given that he was American and he knew a large proportion of his players would be American, he knew that meant that on average they needed to score well. It seems very clear to me that the course was designed with that in mind.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 04:05:06 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2024, 06:17:59 PM »
I believe Mark Parsinen's adage was "look hard, play easy" which I'm sure he borrowed from someone else. In terms of Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart, I've always thought the difficulty lay in the greens, and a lot of the interest too.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2024, 02:07:44 AM »
What really struck me about KB was that it has been designed to flatter the average golfer.  I played OK but not well and was 8 shots better than handicap at the turn.  Drives flared either side found their way back into play.

I mean I think that is unarguably true. Mark P was a very thoughtful man, and part of his philosophy was that he wanted golfers to come off his courses happy, and, given that he was American and he knew a large proportion of his players would be American, he knew that meant that on average they needed to score well. It seems very clear to me that the course was designed with that in mind.

It’s not like Kingsbarns is a cakewalk. Both times I played it was tough. All it takes is a bit of wind. For me, there are plenty of challenging shots and holes.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brian Finn

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2024, 08:49:08 AM »
Perhaps my taste is less sophisticated, but I think Kingsbarns is miles better than the Castle Course.  I enjoyed the Castle, and would certainly like to play it again, but Kingsbarns was the first modern course I played in the UK that I thought was truly outstanding.  Understanding that significant earth was moved there, I was impressed by how natural it actually looked.  I am far from expert, but in my amateur eyes the shaping was well done, particularly compared to some other modern "links."  Now, bringing cost into the discussion...if I list the courses I played on the same trip from most to least expensive, I paid less for the five least expensive courses combined than it cost to play Kingsbarns...so, for me, it will be a one-time experience. 
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs)...

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2024, 12:32:04 PM »
I'm not all that interested in playing either of them again. There are so many other choices I'd prefer to return to for the GCA and/or the value.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back