News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

As a native Texan, it’s been a holiday for us longer than everyone else, but I think it’s a fantastic holiday.

I don’t know enough about African American architects. I’d like to know more.

Does anyone have any knowledge they’d like to share? Any courses to recommend?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 07:32:36 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Brian Moran

Joseph Bartholomew was an apprentice of Seth Raynor who was the lead man on Metairie along with solo designing several courses in Louisiana, even in the Jim Crow era

Tom_Doak

It's a pretty short list in the USA today . . . there is Tiger Woods, and there's Brandon Johnson, who used to work for the PGA Tour and then for Arnold Palmer's design company.  It's possible there are others, but none that I have met.

I did also meet a young man in Kenya who was a landscape architect trying to be a golf course architect there.

Steve_ Shaffer

At the age of nine, John Shippen Jr. and his his family moved to the Shinnecock Indian Reservation in Southampton on Long Island, NY, where his father was assigned as a pastor.

As a teenager, Shippen worked with crews to help clear the land and build the original Shinnecock Hills golf course. William Dunn Jr., a Scottish golf professional who designed the final holes at Shinnecock Hills, taught some of the young workers how to caddie and play the game, including John Shippen and his friend, Oscar Bunn, a Shinnecock Indian. Shippen had a natural talent for the game and became one of Dunn’s best students. By the age of 16, Shippen was working full-time as Dunn’s assistant, giving lessons to members, working as a caddy, repairing clubs, scorekeeping and assisting the maintenance crew.
Shinnecock Hills was selected to host the second U.S. Open in 1896. Club members were so impressed with Shippen’s talent that they paid his and Oscar Bunn’s entry fees for the tournament. The week of the Open, other professional entrants (all foreign-born) sent a petition to USGA officials in which they objected to “colored boys meeting them on equal terms.” They held a meeting in protest on Thursday prior to the Open and threatened to withdraw if Shippen and Bunn were allowed to compete. USGA president Theodore Havemeyer is said to have declared, with conviction: “Gentlemen, you can leave or stay as you please. We are going to play this tournament tomorrow, with them – and with or without you.” All entrants showed up the next morning for play.

https://preserveshadyrest.org/john-shippen-jr.html
https://preserveshadyrest.org/history-shady-rest.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt Schoolfield

Joseph Bartholomew was an apprentice of Seth Raynor who was the lead man on Metairie along with solo designing several courses in Louisiana, even in the Jim Crow era
Okay, I've done some research on Bartholomew. His courses include:

- City Park East Course, with William Wiedorn, 1935, defunct. Now the site of Bayou Oaks South Course, Rees Jones and Greg Muirhead (with Leslie Claytor), 2017.

- Joseph M. Bartholomew, Sr. Golf Course, 1956, since renovated, previously named Pontchartrain Golf Course.

- Bayou Oaks North Course, also with William Wiedorn, 1969, previously named City Park North Course.

- He also build his own 7-hole golf course in Harahan, now defunct, on what is now the Royland Subdivision.

As noted, he build the Seth Raynor designed Metairie Country Club.

I've updated the wiki with everything I've found: https://golfcourse.wiki/architect/Joseph_Bartholomew

---

Additional citations besides the course sites and wikipedia:

Cook, Debert. “Joseph M. Bartholomew – First African American Golf Course Architect and Designer .” The African American Golfer's Digest, 30 June 2017. Accessed 19 June 2024.

Johnson, Roy S. “Overlooked No More: Joseph Bartholomew, Golf Course Architect.” The New York Times, 7 February 2020. Accessed 19 June 2024.

City of Harahan. “History of Harahan.” City of Harahan, weebly.com. Accessed 19 June 2024.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 06:09:23 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

Tiger Woods' courses were a bit easier to find: https://tgrdesign.tigerwoods.com/courses/

Brandon Johnson: https://www.johnsongolfdesign.com/portfolio

John Matthew Shippen Jr. has quite a wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shippen

And since he was also brought up, I believe the "young man in Kenya" is James Mworia, interviewed here: http://seraphicstudio.weebly.com/interviews/interview-with-james-mworia-golf-course-architect
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 04:36:59 AM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Adam Lawrence

Brandon Johnson is a lovely, and very talented man. Now that Palmer Design has closed down and he has gone solo, I'm confident he will do really well.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

V_Halyard

Happy Juneteenth.
Interesting thread. The historical reality is that outside of Joseph Barthowlemew and Brandon Johnson, there really are few if any other notable “1st Chair” Black architects with full design credit to date. It’s not a surprise that Black GCA opportunities were rare. Bill Powell is a notable exception but he never had forma design training nor a red plaid jacket.

Golf has been socially combative across class and racial lines for a century. Hagan had to bang open the front door to the club for White professionals, Hogan wasn’t allowed in the front door and had to eat in the kitchen while practicing for The Open at Carnoustie. Blacks simply weren’t allowed on top courses, public or private so the possibilities of a Black GCA gaining access to study routings and features at a top club was laughable and likely lethal.

Today, thankfully, the opportunities are increasing. But you have to know where to look
Brandon’s modern day
experiences are notable as he was a stick with a passion for design.

I would like to recognize a few positives here.

Cheers and thanks to the efforts of pals Bausch and Cirba for their Cobbs Creek project and affiliations with Charlie Sifford Foundation offering a litany of learning and scholarship opportunities.

A number of us have joined Josh Woodward’s project to revive the Donald Ross Tumblebrook and we have partnered with Golf.My Future.My Game founder Craig Kirby who has developed strong affiliated programming with ASGCA, GCSAA and the USGA. This will help spread exposure to gca opportunities.

One lingering unfortunate GCA reality is that a high % of the best GCA in the U.S. is behind historically segregated private clubs.

Although legal segregation has ebbed-ish, and membership is available, social segregation is still in play and if you’re historically unfamiliar with excellent GCA, and the bulk of your school-aged golf was played on rock strewn fairways and broken concrete paths, where is your incentive to get into GCA?

We are in an excellent period of the appreciation of GCA, especially the migration of great GCA and conditioning into the public golf sector. Brandon or I are generally the only Black folks that people in the GCA Community know, and I’m not an architect. Ha. But public access to great GCA is a positive engine for cross-cultural access and appreciation.

I have had some conversations with the Bartholomew family where some have inferred there are secret plans afloat, but we’re not holding our breath.

The future is brighter than the past thanks to nerd havens like GolfClubAtlas and FriedEgg and public golf breakouts like Jeffersonville, Keiser’s, Lawsonia, Sweetens, Landmand and others. Most public focus is still on lists and play but this appreciation is thankfully driving excellent gca deeper into the narrative across all demographics.

Historically, it has been hard to get school aged kids excited about a GCA career without access to, or any reference or visual familiarity with the best of GCA. Future is bright.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 09:04:12 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

George Pazin

« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 12:40:05 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joe Bausch

To piggyback off George's recent post:

On a trip to Ohio last fall I had the pleasure of meeting legend Renee Powell at Clearview GC, then playing "America's Course".

Her dad designed, built, & owned the course, the first African-American to do so. And he did one hell of a job!

And let this one wash over you: the course is non-irrigated.

Many of the greens are ginormous! For instance, the short uphill par 3 2nd is over 11,000 ft2.

I really like the par 4 16th hole (all pics are clickable to a larger size):

Tee view:

Approach shot view to almost a skyline green:

View of the large green from short and left:

View from just over the green:

A complete hole-by-hole tour of Clearview is here:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/Clearview/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

Brandon Johnson is a lovely, and very talented man. Now that Palmer Design has closed down and he has gone solo, I'm confident he will do really well.
I spent many hours with Brandon back in May. First it was 18 holes of golf then a dinner with a golf discussion for dessert. It was a memorable day. Now I need to play some of his designs!

Jeff_Brauer

Leslie Claytor of PGA Tour Design Services.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Brian Finn

Brandon Johnson joined the gca contingent at the January 2017 Thaw Out event organized by Eric Smith.  He played with the group at Old Tabby Links (where he did some excellent work, then on behalf of Arnold Palmer Design) and spent a lot of time talking with a bunch of us afterwards.  He is a talented designer and extremely nice person.  I think he may have done something similar at Wexford (where he also did some really cool stuff) a few years earlier.  I hope to see his name come up more and more, now that he is working for himself. 
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs)...

Matt Schoolfield

Leslie Claytor of PGA Tour Design Services.
Claytor does seem to have quite a resume. Took me a while to update the courses he helped build and renovate. Notably to this conversation, he worked on the Bayou Oaks GC course with Rees Jones that replaced the Bartholomew course.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Will Thrasher

Really enjoyed reading through this thread and learned a few things! I have had some limited interaction with Brandon as well online and can attest he is extremely friendly and an architect to watch. Excited to see what he does moving forward.
Twitter: @will_thrasher_

Matt Schoolfield

Clearview: America's Course, the Autobiography of William J. Powell
(Hardcover – January 1, 2000)
by Ellen Susanna Nosner (Author), Jim L. Awtrey (Introduction), Renee Powell (Foreword)

Happy to clean that up for you George.

On a trip to Ohio last fall I had the pleasure of meeting legend Renee Powell at Clearview GC, then playing "America's Course".

Her dad designed, built, & owned the course, the first African-American to do so. And he did one hell of a job!

And let this one wash over you: the course is non-irrigated.

Many of the greens are ginormous! For instance, the short uphill par 3 2nd is over 11,000 ft2.

Joe, I just realized how expansive your library of course photography is. Extremely impressive!

I've added Clearview GC (course details here) to the wiki (wiki entry here), and thankfully they provide some good hole summaries and lots of details about the course. It seems they keep the place in tip-top shape, with greens stimping at 12!
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Joe Bausch

More on Clearview: last fall I was heading to my inaugural visit to the Midwest Mashie at Kirtland and knew I had to fit in Clearview. I got up extra early, drove the 7 hours to Clearview to find it not busy. I climbed out of the car (7 hours straight driving is not good for me anymore) and Renee happened to be saying goodbye to a friend of hers a few feet away in the parking lot.

She saw me and knew I was not a regular with the PA plates. I said how honored I was to meet her. I mentioned Cobb’s Creek and OMG, we then proceeded to talk for at least 45 minutes and I received a tour of the museum there.

We need a Golf Club Atlas gathering at Clearview. I’m confident it would be an eye-opener for many.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 05:42:13 PM by Joe Bausch »

Matt Schoolfield

A number of us have joined Josh Woodward’s project to revive the Donald Ross Tumblebrook and we have partnered with Golf.My Future.My Game founder Craig Kirby who has developed strong affiliated programming with ASGCA, GCSAA and the USGA. This will help spread exposure to gca opportunities.
Thanks for the insights Vaughn, glad to hear about this project.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

George Pazin

Thanks for the assists, Matt and Joe!

An outing at Clearview sounds great to me.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back