News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Bowman

I've read in a couple places that many golf course architects refuse to retire or have a hard time giving it up.  We can think of many famous ones who were still doing it up until their death.  I don't know if this is the exception for most, or the norm for the most in-demand GCAs.

So what keeps you from retiring, or if you're younger, what will keep you from doing so?  Is it the love of the job?  Is it finances? An excuse to get away from the spouse every once in a while?

archie_struthers

Re: Question for GCAs: what about your job keeps you from retiring? New
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2024, 03:13:12 PM »
 8)

My apologies , misread the question
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 10:39:35 PM by archie_struthers »

Tom_Doak

Re: Question for GCAs: what about your job keeps you from retiring?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2024, 04:27:11 PM »
I thought about retirement during COVID, and decided I still had more to accomplish.  That seems to have been the right call.

I've been thinking about it again lately, or at least the idea of taking a sabbatical.  We have pushed out a lot of good work over the past three years, and it's taken a toll on my body, on my home life, and on my other interests.  I've had little to no time to just go enjoy the courses I've built, and I probably have fewer years left for that than I do for designing, if I still want to do the latter.

But at the same time, I get regular calls from people who want to pay me millions of dollars to keep doing what I love to do.

Another goal is to provide some chances for my associates to design some courses of their own, but I can't figure out how best to do that.  The guys who left me years ago [or who weren't invited to stay] are better known than the guys who have remained loyal and done great work; I've tried to give credit where credit is due, but it just isn't as effective.  So it seems to be easier for my associates if I keep taking commissions, because the clients I reject seldom listen to my recommendations.

cary lichtenstein

Re: Question for GCAs: what about your job keeps you from retiring?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2024, 09:01:37 PM »
As I did, you will know when the time is right. Being away from home in the beginning is great, doing great work is very rewarding, but it gets old at some point in your career, generally when you have enough money to retire comfortably
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back