News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Yale Restoration
« on: June 16, 2024, 05:01:05 PM »
When we were discussing the indelible effect of the PH2 restoration today, my wife asked me about what is going on with the restoration of Yale. It does have the potential to be just as impactful.

Ira

Colin Sheehan

Re: Yale Restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2024, 06:05:13 PM »
Ira,
I realize you and I are homers, but when Yale re-opens, it will be as good as any inland course in America. That is fact!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 06:08:06 PM by Colin Sheehan »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2024, 07:19:16 PM »
Ira,
I realize you and I are homers, but when Yale re-opens, it will be as good as any inland course in America. That is fact!

I hope that prediction comes true.

And it may have competition from a course in Philly.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 05:01:24 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Michael Morandi

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2024, 08:16:23 PM »
Ira,
Will it be maintained properly?  Does the University call the budget shots? 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 10:43:03 AM »
Impactful how? 

The work will certainly boost its ranking, because its reputation has been muffled for ages by poor conditions and the slow erosion of architectural detail.

But, Yale is not going to host a U.S. Open, nor is it a high traffic high end resort.  Plus, as a golf course for an elitist Ivy League school, populist politics are not lined up in its favor.  So the general public won't care.  And Raynor/Macdonald restorations are not exactly a new trend, so I'm not sure it will have any impact on the business of design and restoration.

You could argue that Pinehurst's restoration hasn't had that much impact, either.  There was a lot of talk at the time about reducing irrigation and narrowing fairways, but there has been no trend in either direction.  The impact was mostly to the benefit of Pinehurst remaining in the championship mix, which helped prod them to pursue building more golf courses.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 11:22:02 AM »
Whether or not the restoration has an impact in the world of golf, it still, in my opinion, is a restoration with incredible potential. When I first started playing golf forever ago, I was (like most, I imagine) focused on getting better. Most of the courses I played were perfectly fine, because I wasn't much focused on the course. I was trying to get the ball in the hole in fewer shots than I had the day before. And then I played Yale with a friend who worked at the university. And even though it was in horrid shape, I saw something completely different than any course I had ever played. I'd heard about the 9th hole. But the bunkers on the left of 2 and 8, the tee shot and second shot on 3, the 10th hole that was both ridiculous and awesome, the 18th that I hated the first few times I played and and then came to love it. Over the years, the course conditions improved as trees were removed, but even so, you could see that it was operating at only about 60% of its potential. Because I saw what was there in the mid 90s, I couldn't be more excited to see what it looks like once the work is finished. It's an amazing design on an equally amazing piece of land.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 03:03:30 PM »
Impactful how? 

The work will certainly boost its ranking, because its reputation has been muffled for ages by poor conditions and the slow erosion of architectural detail.

But, Yale is not going to host a U.S. Open, nor is it a high traffic high end resort.  Plus, as a golf course for an elitist Ivy League school, populist politics are not lined up in its favor.  So the general public won't care.  And Raynor/Macdonald restorations are not exactly a new trend, so I'm not sure it will have any impact on the business of design and restoration.

You could argue that Pinehurst's restoration hasn't had that much impact, either.  There was a lot of talk at the time about reducing irrigation and narrowing fairways, but there has been no trend in either direction.  The impact was mostly to the benefit of Pinehurst remaining in the championship mix, which helped prod them to pursue building more golf courses.

Tom,

Perhaps I was being overly enthusiastic, but if Colin is right, a restored Yale will have impact on gca because courses that move up significantly in the rankings generally do because it brings attention to them. Like PH2, the green complexes themselves will generate discussion and study. And the course may aid the quest to make boldness safe for gca.

And I agree with Dan’s more moderate take too.

Regarding PH2, I do think the restoration helped cement the appreciation for Golden Age architecture among a wider audience. It and Pebble are the two most highly thought of Golden Age courses that are publicly accessible (albeit at a very high cost), and PH2 obviously is not on the ocean. I would also assert that the restoration highlighted that minimalism and naturalism (not necessarily the same thing as you know) were and are good trends for modern courses with the former being more important than the latter. Yes, Sand Hills and Pac Dunes and others came before the PH2 restoration, but it is “the home” of golf in the US such that its brand matters.

Ira

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 04:32:51 PM »
Ira, I was so impressed by my one play of Yale.  Brilliant.  As for the green complexes I’d be hard-pressed to give Yale a nod over Blue Mound. 

Nonetheless I’m confident the enthusiasm is warranted. 
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 08:10:37 PM »
When you have the features particularly at the green that Yale has you need width to let the land do its job. I’m excited to see how Hanse Design uncovers the potential.
AKA Mayday

Jon Sweet

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2024, 06:54:39 AM »
When we were discussing the indelible effect of the PH2 restoration today, my wife asked me about what is going on with the restoration of Yale. It does have the potential to be just as impactful.

Ira
Asking a dumb question I could find with a search... any pictures coming out?  Figure someone here might have a bit more insight.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2024, 07:59:55 AM »
Does anyone know how this project is getting funded?
Tim Weiman

John Blain

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2024, 08:33:41 AM »
Does anyone know how this project is getting funded?
I have to believe through fund raising, alumni donations.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 09:21:36 AM »
"James M. Hoak, Jr. ’66 and his late Yale Golf teammate, Thomas Slater ’66, worked with Yale Athletics, originally in a group led by John Beinecke ’69, to raise funds for the course’s restoration. Now, thanks to the generosity and efforts from fellow alumni and friends, donations have reached a level where work can begin. Gifts will also fund an endowment to ensure the course will be maintained in peak condition for years to come."

Ira Fishman

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2024, 09:26:03 AM »

Ira
Asking a dumb question I could find with a search... any pictures coming out?  Figure someone here might have a bit more insight.

Jon,

I couldn’t find much if anything which is indeed why I started the thread.

Ira

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2024, 10:47:54 AM »
Maybe you would like to see photos of Yale from a combo of visits I made 10-12 years ago:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/YaleGC/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2024, 10:53:35 AM »

And the course may aid the quest to make boldness safe for gca.

Probably the last thing we need right now, honestly.  You need to get out more and see all the crazy stuff that is being built in the name of boldness.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2024, 11:09:24 AM »

Probably the last thing we need right now, honestly.  You need to get out more and see all the crazy stuff that is being built in the name of boldness.
I kind of agree with this. As much as I love Tobacco Road, I very much appreciate a thoughtful, subtle well routed layout. Every time I see the state rankings that come out and Brentwood Golf Course doesn't make the NH public courses list, I am floored. Because that place has such an enjoyable understated and natural 36 holes that have made it one of my favorite clubs in all of New England. And it is dirt cheap. Great use of a river that winds its way through the property. Nice terrain that mixes in a few elevation changes but is very walkable. A mom and pop operation in the best sense of the term, and always in tremendous shape. It gets overshadowed by Hooper, which is just down the road, and it shouldn't.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2024, 11:50:46 AM »
I would rather an architect try boldness on occasion and not succeed fully than play it safe. But also my definition of boldness may be different than the over the top definition. We leave for Ireland tonight and will be returning to The Island Club and Lahinch which fit my definition as does Ballyneal and perhaps even Pasatiempo. If the Yale restoration inspires a course nearly as good, that would be great in my book.

Ira

Tim Martin

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2024, 11:56:03 AM »

I kind of agree with this. As much as I love Tobacco Road, I very much appreciate a thoughtful, subtle well routed layout. Every time I see the state rankings that come out and Brentwood Golf Course doesn't make the NH public courses list, I am floored. Because that place has such an enjoyable understated and natural 36 holes that have made it one of my favorite clubs in all of New England. And it is dirt cheap. Great use of a river that winds its way through the property. Nice terrain that mixes in a few elevation changes but is very walkable. A mom and pop operation in the best sense of the term, and always in tremendous shape. It gets overshadowed by Hooper, which is just down the road, and it shouldn't.

Dan-I found Bretwood GC in Keene which I assume is the one you are referencing. If you can only play one of the two courses which one do you pick? Thanks! :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2024, 12:03:31 PM »
I would rather an architect try boldness on occasion and not succeed fully than play it safe.

Can you name a course built in the last five years where you think the architect played it too safe?

I can only think of one or two, and they are both highly rated.  I just thought they could have been more.  [And no, I'm not going to name them here.]  My point is that there are a lot of young architects out there trying their thing now, and most of them are swinging for the fences on every commission.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2024, 12:21:37 PM »

Dan-I found Bretwood GC in Keene which I assume is the one you are referencing. If you can only play one of the two courses which one do you pick? Thanks! :)

I love both courses at Brentwood, but I prefer the south. I’ve been told that most members opt for the north, and that layout has grown on me over time. But the south makes awesome use of the river and is a beautiful walk. I’d be happy to play either, and often when I’m there I do a 36-hole day. I think they offer the best public golf option in NH, and for the price, it’s the best deal in New England.

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2024, 12:33:45 PM »

I love both courses at Brentwood, but I prefer the south. I’ve been told that most members opt for the north, and that layout has grown on me over time. But the south makes awesome use of the river and is a beautiful walk. I’d be happy to play either, and often when I’m there I do a 36-hole day. I think they offer the best public golf option in NH, and for the price, it’s the best deal in New England.

Dan-Let me knows the next time you are going to play if you have room and I’ll meet you. I have family in Wilmington, VT which is a pretty easy ride.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2024, 12:36:32 PM »
Sounds good. I actually moved to VA last summer (previously I lived outside of Boston), but I’ll be back up there a few times this summer. I’ll be in touch. (And not sure why this keeps autocorrecting Bretwood to Brentwood.)

Tim Martin

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2024, 01:03:56 PM »
Sounds good. I actually moved to VA last summer (previously I lived outside of Boston), but I’ll be back up there a few times this summer. I’ll be in touch. (And not sure why this keeps autocorrecting Bretwood to Brentwood.)

Dan-I’ll look forward to it!

MLevesque

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2024, 12:41:13 PM »
I drove by the Yale Golf Course entrance today in hopes of walking the paths and checking on the progress of the restoration only to find a numerous “no access except for contractors” signs and extra fencing blocking the normal public access for neighborhood walkers. This lack of access for walkers is contrary to what was initially promised by the Yale administration.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 05:56:12 PM by MLevesque »
I am Skew!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back