News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Hohman

Matt, am I alone in believing date of post is not clutter? Easier uploading of images is one of your goals? Kudos to you for your efforts.
newmonumentsgc.com

Matt Schoolfield

Matt, am I alone in believing date of post is not clutter? Easier uploading of images is one of your goals? Kudos to you for your efforts.

In version 1.2, that went up last night, the post date is available by clicking the info button. The dates listed are sever time, not local, so it’s less than ideal. As I continue development, I will probably calculate the “hours/days/years ago” and post that, since it can be calculated via the time stamp at the top of the page. I’ll take some time today to try and add that.

Image upload assistance will likely be challenging, only because a dedicated API is needed, and because the images would need to be uploaded to an external site, there are rights issues that become extremely complex. The obvious place to store them is my wiki, and that seems like a pro-social way of getting them on the internet in a searchable way, but that would obviously require people to want to share them that way. It would also be a nontrivial cost because hot-linking isn’t free. Suffices to say, it will take time, but I recognize the serious need.

My current focus is adding more clutter reduction (collapsing deeply nested block quotes), and starting to build in some conflict deescalation features: the ability to fade users that might get on nerves, but that you still want to read, mute users in threads that have gone off the rails, or block someone altogether if it comes to it. Obviously, this doesn’t actually change the site itself, but I’ve found the fading system on hacker news to be significantly helpful in preventing me from getting internet-mad, which I find helpful, and keeps me more pro-social.

If the stats are correct, two people have tried it out, which is a hilariously small number, but I appreciate the kind words. There is nothing proprietary to Firefox yet, so I’ll likely try and port it to chrome/edge/safari soon. I also need to run it in Firefox developer mode, so I can test it for Firefox android mobile, and get that online.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Matt Schoolfield

date of post
Okay, I've added this feature, so now it says "X seconds/minutes/hours/days/years ago" for time since comment submission.

I've submitted v1.3, which has been cleared by Mozilla. I've also "tested" it for Android Firefox Mobile, so if anyone uses that, do let me know if it works properly or is broken, because it's now available.

Again, the install link is here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nice-gca/

Source is here: https://github.com/scoofy/GCA-Extension

Edit: Hmm... welp, it looks like it's not working properly... I'll try and fix that real quick.

Edit 2: bug identified and fixed, new version is 1.3.2
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 07:51:30 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

Alright Chrome users, the extension has been ported and approved by the Chrome Web Store. I plan on porting it to Safari as well, but they require the program to be submitted via Xcode, but I honestly just don't have the required (read: absurd) 40GB install space on my old Macbook, so that will have to wait.

I plan on continuing development later, but need to take a break for a while. Obviously let me know if anything is broken, and I can fix it real quick. Hope some of you try it out.

Version 1.3.3:

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nice-gca/

Chrome: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/nice-gca/bflpnidkjlmgefgoockoihfjghdghfmg

Source: https://github.com/scoofy/GCA-Extension
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Greg Hohman

One has log in for it to work?
newmonumentsgc.com

Matt Schoolfield

One has log in for it to work?

Nope, should work fine on desktop and android regardless. iOS, however it won’t work yet, because apple blocks extensions for everything but safari.

Obviously hit me up if you're having problems.

---

I will remind any folks reading this that there are updates, and if you don't have auto-update turned on, you may need to reinstall. Current version is 1.4.1 which is out for firefox, and should be soon for chrome.

Version 1.4 added Navigation Bar formatting (for the blue top bar at the top of the page), and 1.4.1 adds removal of BBCode orphans like  that show up after the platform incorrectly formats the text on submission.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 05:41:34 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Greg Hohman

I have to log in to see the benefits.

I'm not PM-ing you for a reason: Others can benefit from the Q & A.
newmonumentsgc.com

Matt Schoolfield

I'm not PM-ing you for a reason: Others can benefit from the Q & A.

Thank you, will look into it tonight.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

Thank you, will look into it tonight.
I think I may have located an issues, but bear with me. I was able to reproduce this issue in two scenarios.

First, upon installing the extension on an alternate version of Firefox, the extension wouldn't take effect in an existing tab, and I needed to open a new tab.

After opening a new tab, I was able to get all the features working on an unlogged-in tab. After I post this, I will attach a photo of how it appears in firefox.

Edit: me from the future, here is the image:

The other, more likely option, as that you are using Chrome. I have verified that -- if using version 1.4 -- it works if logged in, but is broken for folks who are not. This was caused by a simple javascript error that I missed in the debugging process, which will cause the extension to cease operations as it loads the page, leaving effectively nothing visible. This was fixed in version 1.4.1, but that version has not been approved by the Chrome Web Store yet. If you are using Chrome, I'm sorry, about that, and the fix should be approved within the next 24 hours or so (they are extremely slow in allowing new versions). This is the error:

Code: [Select]
app.js:858

TypeError: Failed to execute 'appendChild' on 'Node': parameter 1 is not of type 'Node'.

-

So, if you're on Chrome, I'm sorry about that again. The best solution for now is to either manually roll back to a previous version (honestly not sure if that's possible), or just uninstall if it's an issue in the next day or so. I probably should have rolled it back to the previous version in the app store, but again, it should be fixed shortly and I don't want to restart the process getting the next version approved. I'll definitely ping you when the new version is approved. However, definitely check to see if you are using the most current version (which should be listed in my signature with a link to the latest version), and it should be fixed with an upgrade to the latest version.

If neither of these two fixes works for you, do please reach out again in a PM. Let me know what browser you are using, and what version of the extension you are using (if you can find it). If you have trouble with that, I would be happy to discuss further in a PM and try to find the source of the error.

I may add a small signature at the bottom of a loaded page in future version to facilitate knowing your current version number, and linking to the appropriate platform to upgrade.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 05:29:03 AM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Greg Hohman

Matt, I have begun to use it on my laptop. Now to make an effort with phone and ipad. Cheers!
newmonumentsgc.com

Matt Schoolfield

Matt, I have begun to use it on my laptop. Now to make an effort with phone and ipad. Cheers!
Thanks so much for the kind words! Unfortunately, I think the iPad is out for now as iOS does not allow extension on browsers except for Safari. I'll get there eventually, but for now, I'm pretty restricted to Android for tablets.

If anyone here does use an Android phone/tablet, I'd be interest in some feedback/screenshots. I'm an iOS guy, so the only way I can see it in "phone mode" is using the developer tools to simulate it on desktop.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

Okay, I've just pushed a major update to the extension (hence bumping the version to 2.0.0). This version adds some deescalation features, that I think could be helpful in some of the more contentious threads.

The new feature includes a "Fade" button, that allows users to fade the appearance of posts by users they may be regularly in conflict with. The feature also allows users to "Mute" (100% fade level) if hostility becomes too much, which will collapse their comments so they won't be visible unless actively sought out.

I know these features might seem a bit strange, but I've notice that similar features on Hacker News tend to be helpful (for my temperament especially), at reminding myself that I don't necessarily need to respond when things have gone a bit off the rails. It should also be able to help others ignore other people fighting in specific threads... however the muting is not thread-specific yet, so for now, muted users will need to be unmuted to appear in other threads

As of now, these new features will only be accessible if you're logged in, simply because accessing user ID's is a bit more difficult when you aren't (sorry lurkers). Future improvements should eventually include thread-specific muting, and access to the feature by anyone, not just logged in users.

This new version could be held up a bit by Mozilla for a bit, and will certainly take at least a day for the Chrome store to approve it (they are very slow), simply because I've added a new browser storage requirement. It should be avalible to everyone within the next 36 hours unless something goes wrong. So, look for version 2.0.0 if you don't have auto-update turned on. The links to Firefox and Chrome are in my signature.

Obviously let me know if the code is somehow broken, and helpful feedback is always welcome.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 08:26:47 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Joe Bausch

I'm giving the Firefox extension a test drive. So far, so good!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matt Schoolfield

Matt, an idea for your GCA extension: a feature that enables, after a certain number of posts or pages, a vote for the winner of a thread, especially threads like this one. You get my vote here. The functionality could perhaps include a leaderboard. I can think of names for the top and bottom of many discussions here, but have no supporting data.
Moving Greg's comment over here, so I can get some thoughts on it quickly. The complexities of this idea would require a second database. I can't actually copy anything from this site and move it anywhere else due to obvious copyright concerns. It would be feasible for me to build an API for things like voting and/or collaborative conflict de-escalation, it would be a be a heavy lift. I could probably have the wiki database host such data, but I'd then have to write out all the ToS and Privacy Policy... I mean it's a very, very bizarre idea to have a redunant and unaffiliated database to modify a completely separate website, as it would make much more sense to just use the existing karma system built into this forum, but that seems to be turned off. 

So, is it possible? -- I think yea, technically, yes, but with quite a bit of work. I'm not sure I have it in me right now, but it's certainly an idea. I question whether it's a bridge to far though. If there are any programmy people that could think of a quick hack to do that some other way, it could be interesting, but I think it would take a an external database. Otherwise, it's probably too low of a priority  for me right now.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 11:06:22 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Stewart Abramson

Matt, an idea for your GCA extension: a feature that enables, after a certain number of posts or pages, a vote for the winner of a thread, especially threads like this one. You get my vote here. The functionality could perhaps include a leaderboard. I can think of names for the top and bottom of many discussions here, but have no supporting data.
Moving Greg's comment over here, so I can get some thoughts on it quickly. The complexities of this idea would require a second database. I can't actually copy anything from this site and move it anywhere else due to obvious copyright concerns. It would be feasible for me to build an API for things like voting and/or collaborative conflict de-escalation, it would be a be a heavy lift. I could probably have the wiki database host such data, but I'd then have to write out all the ToS and Privacy Policy... I mean it's a very, very bizarre idea to have a redunant and unaffiliated database to modify a completely separate website, as it would make much more sense to just use the existing karma system built into this forum, but that seems to be turned off. 

So, is it possible? -- I think yea, technically, yes, but with quite a bit of work. I'm not sure I have it in me right now, but it's certainly an idea. I question whether it's a bridge to far though. If there are any programmy people that could think of a quick hack to do that some other way, it could be interesting, but I think it would take a an external database. Otherwise, it's probably too low of a priority  for me right now.

I wouldn't suggest doing any heavy lifting to add such a feature. Would it be easier to add a poll feature as they have on Golfwrx?

Matt Schoolfield

I wouldn't suggest doing any heavy lifting to add such a feature. Would it be easier to add a poll feature as they have on Golfwrx?
So, the challenge is this: I can't touch the GCA database, so I can't save anything except in the way we make comments. I can only save things on your physical computer. Unfortunately, while I'm sure it's technically possible, I don't know how to get those computers to talk to each other. The whole project is very hacky, and the reason I'm doing it is because, well, the system isn't being maintained, so it's a work-around. Thus, anything that stores data (like you would need for a poll), would either need a second database, or would need to integrate making a comment into participation (as information in the comments is a way of storing data).

Now, if you store data in the comments, you could do it really clever way, making it nearly invisible (so as not to bother the other users), and encode it where the extension won't render it anyway. Still, it will leave an artifact, and I think it would stop the extension from being truly invisible to non-extension-users, and that starts to feel very intrusive and inappropriate. This extension should leave no trace.

So, that leaves creating a second database, if I really wanted to share information (votes, likes, etc.) between extension users. The leave-no-trace principle here is still a bit complicated, because if I were to integrate a poll into an external database, I think it would start effecting the discussion, and folks not using the extension might get confused about what people are talking about, because no poll could render on the website. Thus, I think I could only add "background" options in the long run, like votes/karma on posts, even resorting the posts depending on how much other users like them (similar to reddit).

The one of the main reasons I started this project is that, as I started learning that the site has a reputation for being a bit anti-social, I immediately realize I had the capacity to improve that. As I have time, I'm going to keep working on conflict de-escalation features that users can implement, with the next one I'll be focusing on will be thread-specific muting of conflict, so, say, two users are yelling at each other, you can simply say "I don't want to see any post in this thread where these two users quote each other" with a click of a button. That should translate to the front page (and that gets tricky too), so that you only get update notifications when someone adds something that isn't part of that argument. It's been very interesting to learn write code this way (basically with one and a half hands tied behind my back), as the limitations of not actually controlling the back end make me think really outside the box of the way things should be done.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 01:36:21 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back