News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

I started dabbling in Firefox extensions today, and it turns out they are fairly easy to write. So I thought a fun starter project would be doing a bit of editing in this forum's interface to improve some features. While I'm certainly not ready to publish this yet, I thought I would share what I have with some of the other developers that use this site.

The github repo is here: https://github.com/scoofy/GCA-Extension

I you want to try it out, you'll have to install it yourself. Download the repo, and then in Firefox navigate to extensions or just enter the following in the nav bar: about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox

From there "Load Temporary Add-on...", and select app.js or manifest.json and it should be temporarily installed.

The current script simply limits images to 100% width (to prevents the overflows), and limits large avatar images to 100px (height or width, whichever is larger). It also sets the minimum font-size to 10px, so when all the text is microscopic, you'll still be able to read it. I believe the extension should work for members and non-members alike.

I obviously don't want to ruffle any feathers here, so if Ran et al. have an issue with this, just let me know, and I can remove it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 08:24:46 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Craig Sweet

Should I use the overlap grip or interlocking?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Cal Seifert

Is there any way to make it work on mobile? Would love to not have to scroll sideways too see the majority of photos on my phone.

Niall C

I obviously don't want to ruffle any feathers here, so if Ran et al. have an issue with this, just let me know, and I can remove it.

If that's the case, would it not have been a better idea to email Ran first before putting it on the Discussion Board ? You know, just out of courtesy.

Niall

Tim Martin

If that's the case, would it not have been a better idea to email Ran first before putting it on the Discussion Board ? You know, just out of courtesy.

Niall

+1

Charlie Goerges

You can ask if you want, but SMF is open source. I'd imagine Matt is well within his rights to develop an extension like this. And if it makes that blasted tiny text stop happening, I say just do it. I might even switch to firefox... if it works.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Niall C

Charlie

I wasn't really referencing legal rights, and I presume neither was Matt. I was merely suggesting that it might have been courteous to email Ran beforehand, particularly if you didn't want to cause offence. That said, I doubt Ran will lose any sleep over it.

Niall

Matt Schoolfield

Is there any way to make it work on mobile? Would love to not have to scroll sideways too see the majority of photos on my phone.

I'd have to double-check, but once it's published, it should work across all versions of Firefox (mobile, desktop, etc.) tied to a Firefox account by default.

Niall
Hmm, maybe I should better explain what I'm doing.

A good metaphor for how browser extensions work is to think of a webpage as a newspaper (the HTML) that gets delivered to your house (computer). The extension is effectively a pair of scissors you can use, at home, to cut up the paper and rearrange it how you like. An extension doesn't effect the actual functioning of the website at all, or change they way other users see and use it. You'd have to opt in, and even then, I'm just trying to modernize some of the code, without anyone tinkering with the website itself.

I'm going to keep working on this thing for my own edification and personal use, regardless (as this is honestly a bit of a practice run for an extension I hope to build for my own website). The point of stating that is to be clear that I want this to be a positive influence on the site, I'm trying very hard to make sure that's the case, but if something were to come up along the way, I'm more than willing to work with people to mitigate any concerns.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 03:30:02 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

PCCraig

I'm confused.
H.P.S.

Sean_A

Charlie

I wasn't really referencing legal rights, and I presume neither was Matt. I was merely suggesting that it might have been courteous to email Ran beforehand, particularly if you didn't want to cause offence. That said, I doubt Ran will lose any sleep over it.

Niall

Niall

An extension won't effect the website. It alters how users interface with the website. One doesn't have to use the extension. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Matt Schoolfield

I'm confused.

I promise I'll let this go, but I just want to clear up any confusion, and I think I can help here. So when you "go to a webpage," typically, what's actually happening is that the webpage's server (a computer), is sending your computer an HTML file. The section of that file for you last comment, in reality, actually looks like this:

That is the actual, underlying code that is the comment on the page. This HTML code is then interpreted by your browser (the program on your computer you view the internet with), so that when it sees:

<strong>Reply #8 on:</strong>

it instead renders:

Reply #8 on:

Thus, there is an in-between step, between when the webpage's server gives your browser the code, where the browser renders the code, and then it shows up on your screen.

An extension is an extra set of instructions in that rendering process. So, for example, I could instruct the browser that when it sees a <strong> tag, to not render it in bold, but instead, say, render it as blue. If I gave my browser those instructions, then when my browser reads "<strong>Reply #8 on:</strong>" it will instead render:

Reply #8 on:

A browser extension is just that. It's a series of instructions that tell my computer (and only my computer), to change the way it renders the code sent to be from the website's server. Everything that is happening is only happening on my computer, but when I package those instructions into a Firefox extension, I can share those instructions with other people, if they want to re-render the page in the way that I do.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 04:53:42 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Niall C

Charlie

Niall

Niall

An extension won't effect the website. It alters how users interface with the website. One doesn't have to use the extension. 

Ciao

Sean

You know fine well I'm a techno numpty who understands none of that. I was merely responding to Matt's comment in his OP about not wanting to cause offence and suggested if he was concerned about that then emailing Ran first might have been the thing to do. It's no big deal to me.

Niall

Kevin_Reilly

The site is basically the same as the 1990s and any improvement from a visitor's standpoint is appreciated.  No need to ask Ran about it.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

PCCraig

I'm confused.

I promise I'll let this go, but I just want to clear up any confusion, and I think I can help here. So when you "go to a webpage," typically, what's actually happening is that the webpage's server (a computer), is sending your computer an HTML file. The section of that file for you last comment, in reality, actually looks like this:

That is the actual, underlying code that is the comment on the page. This HTML code is then interpreted by your browser (the program on your computer you view the internet with), so that when it sees:

<strong>Reply #8 on:</strong>

it instead renders:

Reply #8 on:

Thus, there is an in-between step, between when the webpage's server gives your browser the code, where the browser renders the code, and then it shows up on your screen.

An extension is an extra set of instructions in that rendering process. So, for example, I could instruct the browser that when it sees a <strong> tag, to not render it in bold, but instead, say, render it as blue. If I gave my browser those instructions, then when my browser reads "<strong>Reply #8 on:</strong>" it will instead render:

Reply #8 on:

A browser extension is just that. It's a series of instructions that tell my computer (and only my computer), to change the way it renders the code sent to be from the website's server. Everything that is happening is only happening on my computer, but when I package those instructions into a Firefox extension, I can share those instructions with other people, if they want to re-render the page in the way that I do.

I'm more confused.  ;D
H.P.S.

Erik J. Barzeski

I've also made numerous tweaks to the site (how it's displayed, of course, not to the site itself) using an extension for Safari called StopTheMadness (Pro, now). I condensed the menu bar at the top, hid a few elements (like the error message at the bottom), etc.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Matt Schoolfield

Okay, I've made significant progress today. Here's what Erik's comment now looks like for me. I feel it's a bit more calming. Note that you can click his image to return it to original size, as well as clicking more to accordion the less-than-rarely used action buttons.  Mostly, I'm just happy with much of the clutter being dimmed to be less than attention grabbing.

Again, the repo is here: https://github.com/scoofy/GCA-Extension

I'll probably not bump this thread again until I've made extremely significant improvements.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Greg Hohman

Matt, users who don't use the extension will or won't see images posted via the extension? Does the question make sense? ???
newmonumentsgc.com

Kalen Braley

PCCraig,

Let me offer this analogy. 

Imagine you got a Camaro and wanna put some sweet after-market rims on it with low profile tires.  Everyone else's car of even their own Camaros will be unchanged as only you will experience the difference.

Its the same for using Extensions, it doesn't affect anyone else or this website, its just Matt's browser will have some "aftermarket parts" added to it to change the appearance;)

Matt Schoolfield

Matt, users who don't use the extension will or won't see images posted via the extension? Does the question make sense? ???
I understand your concern. The extension will not change the way images are posted. It will not affect the experience of people who do not use it.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Charlie Goerges

Extensions are more like the picture/brightness settings on your TV. They don't affect anyone else's TV or the signal that goes to anyone else's TV.

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ronald Montesano

I´m just happy that we solved the affect/effect issue. Not the same word.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt Schoolfield

The good news for Firefox desktop users: my extension has been approved by Mozilla: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nice-gca/

The bad news for iOS users:

Apple has created a proprietary iOS extension system which is incompatible with Firefox add-ons and extensions for Android, Mac, Windows and Linux. Also, iOS extensions written for other iOS apps won't work on Firefox for iOS (for example extensions written for Safari won't automatically work on Firefox for iOS).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2024, 06:17:53 AM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Jeff Schley

Thanks Matt I downloaded and I'm using it.  Did notice some changes which are subtle, but welcome.  Thanks for the work.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matt Schoolfield

Okay, I've made significant progress today. Here's what Erik's comment now looks like for me. I feel it's a bit more calming. Note that you can click his image to return it to original size, as well as clicking more to accordion the less-than-rarely used action buttons.  Mostly, I'm just happy with much of the clutter being dimmed to be less than attention grabbing.

I'll probably not bump this thread again until I've made extremely significant improvements.

Please ignore this post, I'm attempting to modify images in quoted text so they take up less space.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Matt Schoolfield

Please ignore this post, I'm attempting to modify images in quoted text so they take up less space.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back