News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Morandi

David_Tepper

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 11:06:27 AM by David_Tepper »

Michael Morandi

Re: Old links and climate change threat
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 01:11:37 PM »
Somewhat related: a house on the coast of Nantucket sold for a 75% discount to the original listing price just months before when a storm took out most of its protection from the ocean.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 01:27:19 PM »
The California coastline is by no means immune from the threat of coastal erosion:

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/south-california-homes-cliff-edge-erosion

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california/article/highway-1-crumbling-cost-infrastructure-19379465.php

Homes both north and south of San Francisco have been lost in the past 20-30 years, as well as holes at the Olympic Club.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 01:31:02 PM by David_Tepper »

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 02:00:18 PM »
California cliff erosion is, as far as I know, a natural process. In Introduction to Beaches and Shoreline Processes at BU, the homes falling off of cliffs was famed very differently than coastal erosion from sea level rise. Maybe that perspective has changed since 20 years ago.

Winter storm beach loss and rising sea levels was a huge focus of the class. There will large effects of climate change in my lifetime unfortunately. It’s a shame we knew about it and what to do back in 1992 and did nothing.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

George Pazin

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 02:43:27 PM »
California cliff erosion is, as far as I know, a natural process. In Introduction to Beaches and Shoreline Processes at BU, the homes falling off of cliffs was famed very differently than coastal erosion from sea level rise. Maybe that perspective has changed since 20 years ago.

Winter storm beach loss and rising sea levels was a huge focus of the class. There will large effects of climate change in my lifetime unfortunately. It’s a shame we knew about it and what to do back in 1992 and did nothing.

What would you have done?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Pierre_C

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 03:11:47 PM »

David,
    When I was in grad school I worked for a paleoclimatologist, building computer models on various impacts of sea level rise. My area of interest at that time was the hydrological cycle - ocean's biological pump.

So. Cal will probably be worse off than No. Cal. CA will continue to see increase land erosion as the severity of rain/drought conditions increase. The most dramatic impacts will likely be in Florida. Most of South Florida is 1 metre or less above sea level. Whereas Jupiter/Palm Beach/ Hobe Sound/ etc are around 2 metres above sea level. 

When you look at sea level rise projections for Florida it makes sense new golf courses are being built in central Florida. (https://databasin.org/datasets/dd54d301894f4322a7a30832572c4a7e/ )

NOAA sea level rise scenario mapper - US cities
https://coast.noaa.gov/slr/#/layer/slr/1/-9008409.531521162/3320844.912363625/11/satellite/none/0.8/2050/interHigh/midAccretion 

Miami Beach is repurposing a former golf course, Bayshore Park, into a wetland / water retention lake.
https://revitalization.org/article/this-39-million-investment-will-boost-resilience-in-the-miami-area-such-as-by-restoring-a-former-golf-course-into-a-wetland-park/

Comments from Jason Straka, 2021 CNN interview climate change & golf courses
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/08/golf/climate-change-sustainability-spt-intl-cmd/index.html
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 01:04:34 AM by Pierre Cruikshank »
(2^82589933) - 1

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 03:24:42 PM »

This particular chart is very disturbing,

Meanwhile here in Utah, climate change deniers are buying and driving massive trucks/SUVs at alarming rates out of spite.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 03:56:19 PM »
The California coastline is by no means immune from the threat of coastal erosion:
And don't forget Pebble losing much of the 18th fairway causing them to build that fake stone wall.  Thread from 2010 https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=43207.0

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 04:03:59 PM »
George,

If we had added CO2 to the Sulfur Dioxide cap-and-trade treaties we signed in the mid-1990s, we would not be in our current situation.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 04:10:26 PM »
If we had added CO2 to the Sulfur Dioxide cap-and-trade treaties we signed in the mid-1990s, we would not be in our current situation.
I wonder if there is the political will on this.  Here in Canada we have had a carbon tax for several years, but it has become a huge political issue and it is one, of many, factors leading to the extreme unpopularity of the current government.
People know that climate change is an issue, but they don't want to pay more for fuel for their cars or natural gas or oil to heat their homes.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 05:58:51 PM »
Wayne, when I say “we” I mean society, not some government.

Further than that, a cap-and-trade system is actually more flexible than a carbon tax, while at the same time controls emissions better. As demand increases more GHG emissions can be dedicated to transportation and heating and less to, say, concrete production (note here concrete emissions aren’t actually co2).

It’s a bummer, and path dependency is a tough nut to crack, but it’s pretty clear that most people aren’t arguing about trade offs. Even in liberal California where I live, the concern is mostly hypocritical signaling, while preserving the extremely carbon dependent sprawl and automobile first infrastructure.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 06:05:27 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2024, 04:16:10 PM »

That's really quite a disingenuous question, George.  We've had over 30 years to take action to reduce emissions but to this day, there isn't the political will, even as we begin to see the long predicted effects actually happening.  In a crowded field, potentially mankind's greatest failing.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2024, 05:28:43 PM »
Maybe when the Great Combeover Golfer talked about building a wall what he really meant was a series of sea-walls built around his links golf courses! :)
Atb

James Reader

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2024, 07:45:09 AM »

That's really quite a disingenuous question, George.  We've had over 30 years to take action to reduce emissions but to this day, there isn't the political will, even as we begin to see the long predicted effects actually happening.  In a crowded field, potentially mankind's greatest failing.

I fear that “But what could we have done?” and “Why did no one warn us this was going to happen?’’ will be heard increasingly over the coming years.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 05:45:54 PM »

It's a completely valid question. Arguments over emissions make me laugh. You'll never get the right data to know the right answers .. but you will get the data they want you to have.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 06:19:16 PM »
If George's question is disingenuous try this one.  "What would you do about the all of the coal fired plants that China and India have brought and will continue to bring on line?"

It seems to me that there is a school of thought that thinks we in the west should do the suffering while those two nations do the developing.   

Climate catastrophe, like cold fusion, is probably always going to be right around the corner.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Mike_Young

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2024, 08:48:08 PM »

It's a completely valid question. Arguments over emissions make me laugh. You'll never get the right data to know the right answers .. but you will get the data they want you to have.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 08:49:41 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

JLahrman

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2024, 09:01:55 PM »
If George's question is disingenuous try this one.  "What would you do about the all of the coal fired plants that China and India have brought and will continue to bring on line?"

It seems to me that there is a school of thought that thinks we in the west should do the suffering while those two nations do the developing.

I'm not sure how you define "suffering", and China in particular is a huge coal consumer, but the US has twice China's per capita emissions rate and more than ten times India's.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2024, 03:31:34 AM »

Climate catastrophe, like cold fusion, is probably always going to be right around the corner.
So the answer is to "drill, baby drill" because the developing World won't play ball?  That's utter nonsense.  How about displaying some leadership?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2024, 03:34:47 AM »
We can already see the start of one, which will take a while to reach real catastrophe but, if it is to be averted, needs action now.  The other will be here in a few decades which will be a few decades too late.  Ignoring the facts is not an approach our children will thank us for.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2024, 06:22:28 AM »

Further than that, a cap-and-trade system is actually more flexible than a carbon tax, while at the same time controls emissions better. As demand increases more GHG emissions can be dedicated to transportation and heating and less to, say, concrete production (note here concrete emissions aren’t actually co2).

Matt:

The only thing I'm sure cap and trade will do, is to provide another avenue for the finance industry to make money off of the decline of civilization.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2024, 06:53:43 AM »
When golf started to become popular and popular internationally, say circa 1900, the Worlds population was approx 1.5 billion. It’s now approx 8.0 billion.
Not surprising that things have got a bit warmer with all the extra activity an additional 6.5 billion people have generated and continue to generate.
Fingers crossed for the future and not just the future of golf.
Atb

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2024, 01:39:03 PM »
The effects of climate changes are going to be as harmful, if not more so, to China and India that they will be to the United States. We agree to verifiable treaties exactly because everybody is skeptical of each other. The irony of this whole situation is that Canada, the United States, and Russia are the only nations whose fortunes may actually locally improve from a warming world. In addition, China has been the world leader in renewable energy production. India is third behind the United States.

We also know that they generally care about the issue because they are signatories to the Paris Agreement, and even agreed to the Kyoto Protocol in 1997, unlike the United States. 

The only thing I'm sure cap and trade will do, is to provide another avenue for the finance industry to make money off of the decline of civilization.
"Would have done." The idea that we could institute a effective cap-and-trade system now impossible. Emissions are way too high. We have done nothing but accelerated GHGs since there was a formal consensus that something needed to be done... in 1992. The model I'm referring to is the extremely successful cap-and-trade program to prevent acid rain that was agreed to during the same period.

Again it's also important to remember that this is the same period when the Montreal Protocol was also put in place do deal with ozone depletion, which was also incredibly successful. Another classic political outcome where people generally don't get rewarded for the disaster they prevent, only the disaster they successfully respond to.

The conspiratorial accusations of the scientific community continues to astound me in my middle age. You can literally sign up for a university lecture series to understand whats happening and why we know it's happening. They will literally teach you how to verify their research.

It is happening right now. This thread is about golf courses that have existed for hundreds of years suddenly falling into the ocean in multiple places. The Great Barrier Reef is dying... it doesn't get more obvious than that. It is likely that the Syrian Civil War was precipitated by an extraordinary drought. I guess I just wonder what people think climate change is going to look like. Barring any changes to ocean currents, it's not going to be some singular cataclysmic, things are just going to become more and more and more expensive. Fire, flood, and other disaster insurance goes way up. Food gets more expensive as we have to move crops 200 miles north. Eco systems are overwhelmed with invasive species that wouldn't have otherwise survived in that region. There will be more and more conflict as people must migrate to other parts of the world, while others fight over fewer resources. It will likely not end the world, but it will cost so much more than if we just started switching to electric renewable power in the early '90s.

---

The real painful aspect of it though, is that the data keeps coming in that the hot models are correct, and there is nothing we can do to stop this, but it's still an every-little-bit-counts scenario where if we change nothing... it still gets worse.

I know folks might think I'm some lefty partisan, but I assure you I am not. I am still just baffled about how climate change is partisan politics in the United States, when it's primarily an economics issue. When the bills start coming due, like the current changes to Federal Flood Insurance, people are going to really start feeling the effects of climate change for the first time. I honestly wonder if those on the financial end of Florida golf course development are already modeling the effect of these increased premiums in their income projections, as Florida may see a recession or even exodus in the next decade or two if near coastal real estate becomes uninsurable.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 03:38:40 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

JLahrman

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2024, 03:13:21 PM »
+1 on all that Matt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back