News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

The Park, West Palm Beach
« on: February 24, 2024, 07:32:24 PM »
I just got back from a short trip to Florida and managed to play a round at The Park in West Palm Beach, which was getting ready to host "The Match" on Monday with Rory, Max, Lexi, and Rose (there were light poles everywhere).

I absolutely loved the golf course, which sits on a sandy rolling site. The landscape reminded me of Seminole meets Pinehurst in places.

Some really wonderful golf holes out there. The 2nd is short but has an awesome skinny but ~40 yard long green site. The Par-3's are very good and varied - the 5th being a long (230 yard) hole into the wind with a wildly fun green, the reverse redan 7th, the sand-belt inspired 11th & 17th being highlights. There is also a wonderfully fun punchbowl & a drivable par-4 with a wickedly small & tilting away green.

Overall it's similar to other modern designs were there is significant width off the tee but they succeed in that the greens are so well done and there are enough interesting hazards that you never feel like you're at a driving range.

The overall facility is really well done. New clubhouse, casual outdoor bar, putting course, par-3 course, etc. which were all hopping the two times I was there last week.

Bravo to those involved. I would recommend anyone in the area to get a tee time. It's also walking only (!) before noon which is wonderful and there is an active caddy program.
H.P.S.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: The Park, West Palm Beach
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 11:57:10 PM »
The Park, previously known as the West Palm Beach Country Club, has undergone a complete transformation thanks to the generous contributions of private individuals who recognized the importance of having a world-class public golf course in the heart of West Palm Beach. Designed by Gil Hanse, The Park is a masterpiece that promises to deliver an exceptional golfing experience to players of all skill levels.
“When ideas for this site were being considered, I never imagined an outcome like this was possible.” said Mayor Keith A. James. “This is a tremendous gift to the City of West Palm Beach. People will be astounded when they see the outstanding facility that has been built for the City and its residents. “The process has been smooth, and the progress has been amazing. My staff and I are very proud to have helped bring this project to reality for current and future generations” said Mayor Keith A. James.
https://www.wpb.org/i-want-to/the-park-at-west-palm-beach
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim Tang

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 08:52:31 AM »
I played The Park back in November with my brother. The course is very different from your typical Florida layout. Great width off the tee with firm, sandy playing surfaces. It's hard to lose a ball there. The emphasis is on fun. It's a great day of golf.

DFarron

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 09:10:08 AM »
Thanks for the comments I’m heading down there in 2 weeks and was considering playing there .

It’s a little far from where I’ll be but I may give it a run anyways!

Jeff Tang

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 03:18:56 PM »
The Park is great. I think it’s far and away the best public option in the area. It will be on TV Monday night being the site of the most recent The Match series.  It should be cool to see on TV, and to see the pros play it, but it’s somewhat a shame all 18 holes won’t be part of the event, and that I feel some of the course’s strongest holes won’t be included. Still really looking forward to it, though.
So bad it's good!

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 09:28:57 PM »
I was lucky enough to get out to The Park back in September for my 2400th different golf course in my life.  And it was worth the milestone position.  I really enjoyed the course, I had never seen the previous iteration, but this place is awesome.   Not only the course but the entire property have a great vibe and setup!

I am looking forward to seeing The Match and how the course looks on TV.  What is the routing or holes that they are playing?  I saw someone above saying that some of the best holes weren't in the rotation. What is the rotation of holes they are using?
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 12:35:07 PM »
Per a tweet from someone in the know, it sounds like they're playing 1-5, 9-13, 17 and 18. The course should look pretty cool under the lights.

I enjoyed the course (review here) when I played it last spring, even though it's really much more a CCFAD than a true muni for most people. I had played it a couple of times in its previous iteration and though scruffy, it was a pretty cool spot to play golf for $40 or less. It's near $300 for out-of-towners now.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 12:53:37 PM »
$300?  Seems like the stakeholders here had a very different mission than CommonGround.

Kyle Casella

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 02:33:26 PM »
$300?  Seems like the stakeholders here had a very different mission than CommonGround.

It's $60-100 for city residents. $120-$150 for Florida residents. $200+ for non-residents. The 9 holer is free for under 12, $10 for under 17, $20 for city and $30 for everyone else. It's a different mission than CommonGround, yes, but a compelling benefit for city residents. CommonGround has a unique and admirable mission for sure (there should be more like it), but it doesn't necessarily work on a municipality budget (or politics).

Jeff Tang

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2024, 03:41:06 PM »
Per a tweet from someone in the know, it sounds like they're playing 1-5, 9-13, 17 and 18. The course should look pretty cool under the lights.

I enjoyed the course (review here) when I played it last spring, even though it's really much more a CCFAD than a true muni for most people. I had played it a couple of times in its previous iteration and though scruffy, it was a pretty cool spot to play golf for $40 or less. It's near $300 for out-of-towners now.

Thanks Tim. 6 may be my favorite hole there, and if not 6 then 15, so unfortunate those are not part of the event. 7 is a cool par 3 as well, and 16 a good short par 4, so they’re missing some good holes.

That said, with this being a lit up night event, those are holes on the further reaches of the property, so I can understand why they’re not being used. Still lots of good holes as part of what will be broadcast tonight.
So bad it's good!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 04:19:00 PM »

It's $60-100 for city residents. $120-$150 for Florida residents. $200+ for non-residents. The 9 holer is free for under 12, $10 for under 17, $20 for city and $30 for everyone else. It's a different mission than CommonGround, yes, but a compelling benefit for city residents. CommonGround has a unique and admirable mission for sure (there should be more like it), but it doesn't necessarily work on a municipality budget (or politics).

For comparison, CommonGround is $57 for CGA members, or $80 peak for anyone else, in-state or out.  Oh, and $20 for juniors.  Their 9 hole par 3 course is free for under 18, $10 for adults.

You are also right, that the lack of politics in the redevelopment of CommonGround was key to it turning out as it did.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 04:26:37 PM by Tom_Doak »

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 10:21:46 AM »
Anyone watch last night? I thought the course presented very well and it was fun to watch the pros play a truly firm and fast course built on sand. 
H.P.S.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 11:31:55 AM »
I did watch and enjoy.

Most impressed with Rose Zhang.........red eye back to Palo Alto after last nights event to get to class @0930 PST this morning.........taking20 credits at Stanford this term before she get back at it on the LPGA West Coast Swing.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back