News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Simon Barrington

Re: James Braid's Birthday - Favourite Courses he was involved with?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2024, 06:52:39 AM »
Not 100% that these are all JB originals, or what his involvement was, but here's five courses that I believe he worked at that I love:

St Enodoc
Pennard
Goswick
Gleneagles (Kings)
Brora

These are a great selection from his "canon" for sure. Thanks

Simon Barrington

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2024, 07:14:59 AM »
I think my favourite are

Welshpool
Church Stretton (although I suspect Braid had a minor say)
Pennard
St Enodoc
Perranporth
Tenby (perhaps more say than at Church Stretton)

With the possible exception of Tenby, all are wildly rambunctious courses covering some wild terrain. Generally my kinda course.

Ciao

Thanks

Rambunctious indeed (an underused gem of a word!). I like your style and choices, these are must-plays as they are so different from so much of that followed.

Church Stretton - Braid gave extensive advice in 1934, including alterations to many tees, five greens and bunkering changes across the entire course all implemented over several subsequent years. John Morris 1898 and Harry Vardon 1905 preceeded him there.

Tenby - Braid laid out a "new 9-hole course" in 1901 and a year later extended this to 18 in 1907, returning there for more alterations in 1910 and to play in 1913. He also returned in 1930 for more alterations. So, yes his mark is stronger there.

Cheers & keep it hilly & blowy

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2024, 08:19:40 AM »
I think my favourite are

Welshpool
Church Stretton (although I suspect Braid had a minor say)
Pennard
St Enodoc
Perranporth
Tenby (perhaps more say than at Church Stretton)

With the possible exception of Tenby, all are wildly rambunctious courses covering some wild terrain. Generally my kinda course.

Ciao

Thanks

Rambunctious indeed (an underused gem of a word!). I like your style and choices, these are must-plays as they are so different from so much of that followed.

Church Stretton - Braid gave extensive advice in 1934, including alterations to many tees, five greens and bunkering changes across the entire course all implemented over several subsequent years. John Morris 1898 and Harry Vardon 1905 preceeded him there.

Tenby - Braid laid out a "new 9-hole course" in 1901 and a year later extended this to 18 in 1907, returning there for more alterations in 1910 and to play in 1913. He also returned in 1930 for more alterations. So, yes his mark is stronger there.

Cheers & keep it hilly & blowy

I don’t know what was in the ground when Braid was finished, but I have a feeling it was better than the current course….which is good.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2024, 11:26:16 AM »
Mid-Wales and the West Wales coastline is full of course with a James Braid involvement. And all the better for them too!
I believe that contracts with railway companies could have been involved. Same with Harry Vardon too as he also did architectural work in the same general area.
Atb
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 11:28:31 AM by Thomas Dai »

David_Tepper

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2024, 12:16:20 PM »
Braid's invoice for the work he did at Golspie in the 1920's is mounted on the wall inside the clubhouse. The total bill (including transportation & lodging) was under 30 pounds. :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 12:24:43 PM by David_Tepper »

James Reader

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2024, 01:01:02 PM »
I grew up playing Sherwood Forest and have been a member for over 40 years, so have a very deep affection for the course. Over the last few years the club has been making more and more of its Colt connection but it’s very clear that what is there today owes an awful lot more to Braid, who reworked the course in the late 1920s.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2024, 01:43:59 PM »
Braid's invoice for the work he did at Golspie in the 1920's is mounted on the wall inside the clubhouse. The total bill (including transportation & lodging) was under 30 pounds. :)

For comparison, he'd have taken home 75 pounds for winning The Open in the 1920's.  :(

Simon Barrington

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2024, 03:10:31 PM »
Mid-Wales and the West Wales coastline is full of course with a James Braid involvement. And all the better for them too!
I believe that contracts with railway companies could have been involved. Same with Harry Vardon too as he also did architectural work in the same general area.
Atb

Thanks, he certainly clocked up the train milage!
The return trips were filled with utilising his semi-photographic memory to plan routings, good thinking time.
Choo Choo!

Simon Barrington

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2024, 03:16:52 PM »
I grew up playing Sherwood Forest and have been a member for over 40 years, so have a very deep affection for the course. Over the last few years the club has been making more and more of its Colt connection but it’s very clear that what is there today owes an awful lot more to Braid, who reworked the course in the late 1920s.

Yet another great course I neeed to visit, and research as to what of JB's work still remains, it sounds like a good deal!

I get the marketing heft of "more popular" (esp. Stateside) architects such as Colt & Mackenzie, it makes commercial sense.

The AOJBC simply tries to learn, educate and celebrate what remains of James Braid's work in any event, no matter how small or large.
We don't claim the members as "Braid Courses" per se...more Courses that Braid did work that remains upon.

We have over 320 member clubs and growing, we'd love to have Sherwood Forest amongst them!

Cheers

David_Tepper

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2024, 05:24:51 PM »
Simon B. -

Could you please post a link to the website for the Association of James Braid Courses? Thanks!

DT

Simon Barrington

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2024, 06:08:24 PM »
Simon B. -

Could you please post a link to the website for the Association of James Braid Courses? Thanks!

DT

Hello David

We are a unique Association as we don't even charge the Clubs to be members, the AOJBC was the brainchid and hard work of one of my friends and fellow Henley GC Member, Michael Herriot. He has "retired" so he can get time to play more of the courses. But he essentially administered the Club solo since its founding around HGC's Centenary in 2007. (I was fortunate to propose, design and lead an organic in-house restoration of James Braid's course for then)

So regretably there is, as yet, no website. Michael ran it all on email and word processor, incredible effort really with no funding!

We have now split the huge legacy/task into two; and I work alongside our Administrator, Sam Petrie.
Sam handles the admin more than efficiently.
I spend my spare time (still working full-time) researching into what we can document in terms of his visits, designs, and playing visits.
Also, importantly what of Braid's work still remains, especially at non-member clubs to help them understand and celebrate his part in their history.
They hopefully then consider membership.
Which provides their own members with improved access and/or reduced green fees at fellow member clubs.

Each club shares the list of AOJBC clubs on their own internal websites/notice boards.

The 2024 list is soon to be released (Sam is in the eye of the storm) and when that comes out I shall post it on here so you can all can see the listing in detail. Its quite the list for sure.

There are (as of 2023, and we have added several since):
309 Member Courses
66 Non-Members where it is known that Braid worked
66 Courses where we are ascertaining if and what Braid may have done
25 Courses where Braid did plans but these were not completed
and
100 Courses that No Longer Exist

So 566 and counting, 500 certainly known. Quite the body of work.

Best
Simon

Researcher AOJBC
jamesbraidresearch@gmail.com

Simon Barrington

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2024, 06:17:41 PM »

For comparison, he'd have taken home 75 pounds for winning The Open in the 1920's.  :(

You are not far off at all Tom

The Open 1st Prize was £50 for the early part of the 1900's, in fact it wasn't until 1931 that it reached £100!

Fortunately for Braid the members at Walton Heath GC gave him bonuses of £140 in 1908, and £200 in 1910 when he won his 5th Open!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2024, 10:56:35 PM »
Simon,

He is a thread with commentary from several members on Perranporth.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51587.0.html
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Simon Barrington

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2024, 02:47:54 AM »
Simon,

He is a thread with commentary from several members on Perranporth.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51587.0.html

Thank you, I have found this site useful to hear such input from passionate and knowledgable people.
It has often kicked off a line of research for me.

EDIT: I replied somewhat prematurely (out of courtesy) having not read the full thread, silly me, it's a tour de force...Great work, Thank you!

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 03:01:58 AM by Simon Barrington »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2024, 04:07:25 AM »
Isn't his invoice for working at Brora similarly displayed at BGC? £15 plus expenses is my recollection.
atb

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2024, 06:46:46 AM »

I have found courses where Braid and Colt worked together, Braid & Vardon, and many where he made alterations, remodels, extensions and re-bunkering of others work. And vice versa.

Simon welcome to the board and this is an excellent start.

Can you give examples of where Braid and Colt worked "together".  I am aware of many courses where they made sequential visits but wasn't aware of them working together?
 I'm guessing this is post WW1? I may have something for you?

Writing as proud member of 2 courses where he worked magic. 
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2024, 07:12:18 AM »
I can't prove that Braid and Colt actually 'worked together' anywhere. When Bishops Stortford GC opened in 1909, it was advertised as having been "laid out under the advice of Mr. James Braid with improvements suggested by Mr. Harry Colt." And in 1919, Pennard launched a plan to improve the course after 'visits recently paid to the links by James Braid and Mr. H. S. Colt'. "Braid's scheme which embodies some of Mr. Colt's suggestions, was adopted."
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2024, 07:49:47 AM »
For me what this thread emphasises is the strength and consistency of Braid's work.  I can't think of a Braid course I've played that I have thought was poor.  For me, St Enodoc, Brora, West Lancs, Brora and Goswick would be my favourites.

In your original post, you said he was born "nr" Earlsferry.  It's a very small village, and the house he lived in (which has a blue plaque) is very much in the centre of Earlsferry.  I had always assumed he was born in that house?

It's slightly ironic that he grew up a stone's throw from Elie but never worked on the course (though the club has a letter from him with suggested changes to the course, which were steadfastly ignored!)
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2024, 09:01:22 AM »
How does that song go again ? Oh yes "Brora, Brora, so good they named it twice, I love it"

Niall

Simon Barrington

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2024, 12:35:54 PM »
For me what this thread emphasises is the strength and consistency of Braid's work.  I can't think of a Braid course I've played that I have thought was poor.  For me, St Enodoc, Brora, West Lancs, Brora and Goswick would be my favourites.

In your original post, you said he was born "nr" Earlsferry.  It's a very small village, and the house he lived in (which has a blue plaque) is very much in the centre of Earlsferry.  I had always assumed he was born in that house?

It's slightly ironic that he grew up a stone's throw from Elie but never worked on the course (though the club has a letter from him with suggested changes to the course, which were steadfastly ignored!)

Thanks, pleased that the response have confirmed that (which I knew and believed) and from those on here who have great knowledge and have played a huge amount of courses it means a great deal.

In terms of your question:

James Braid (6 February 1870 – 27 November 1950) was born in Liberty the adjoining village to Earlsferry in 1870. He was known locally as “Jamie”. The house in which he was born is no longer there but it was where the garage was on the north side of Liberty opposite the Stables...In 1882 his parents moved to Earlsferry and lived in "Linmara" in Earlsferry High Street where the family lived until his mother’s death in 1927.

The Blue Plaque on "Linmara" actually (and you can actually see the edit on closer inspection) had to be altered to "Lived Here" as opposed to the original "Born Here" post research by the local Historical Society.

EDIT: The irony that he was born in "Liberty" yet he never visited "The Land of the Free" doesn't escape me!

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 12:41:18 PM by Simon Barrington »

Simon Barrington

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2024, 02:08:10 PM »

I have found courses where Braid and Colt worked together, Braid & Vardon, and many where he made alterations, remodels, extensions and re-bunkering of others work. And vice versa.

Simon welcome to the board and this is an excellent start.

Can you give examples of where Braid and Colt worked "together".  I am aware of many courses where they made sequential visits but wasn't aware of them working together?
 I'm guessing this is post WW1? I may have something for you?

Writing as proud member of 2 courses where he worked magic.
Thank you Tony, very kind.

The single course I was referring to (for the Braid/Colt combo) was Bishops Stortford (and I will follow in some, perhaps too much, detail as Adam also has asked effectively the same question)

George Payne's superb Trilogy "The Divine Fury of James Braid - Vol 3" notes that Sir Walter Gilbey (of the Gin company) originally commission Braid's cousin, Douglas Rolland to lay out an 18-hole course c.1906/7.

The Club also paid James Braid for a visit and advice in February 1909, Carter & Co provided the seeds and the course was opened on 11th June 1910.

One newspaper report noted "the course covered 140 acres, laid out by Colt and Braid and the holes varied from 130-500 yards, which were liberally studied with bunkers of various types."

Another attributed the layout solely to Braid.

'Golf Illustrated' reported the "course laid out by James Braid but also that evidence of the work of Mr. H.S. Colt in bunker and hazard designing are seen at several of the holes."

So, exactly what each of Rolland, Braid and Colt designed is therefore not entirely clear. (Note - Rolland had apparently fallen on tough times in the period concerned.)

John Moreton's "James Braid and his Four Hundred Golf Courses" notes:

"Golf Illustrated" March 1909 - James Braid the Open Champion, visited the course last week, at the invitation of the committee, and expressed his satisfaction wih the design of the course, and with the work as far as it has progressed.

Not sure if the committee was having a crisis of confidence in Rolland's design or that they had already engaged Braid for a redesign, we know he was paid for the visit.

Moreton goes on to note that the tees and greens had to be reseeded in 1908, so evidently there were problems.

The Opening match was 36-Holes between Braid & Arnaud Massy (Biarritz & North Berwick) against Taylor & Vardon.

The prize was £100 (as per earlier item in the threads, from Tom D, that was more than The Open which Braid won for the 5th time later that year)

Nisbet 1910 notes that "the course was laid out by Braid, and Mr H.S. Colt has also made some valuable alterations"

He then notes the same "Golf Illustrated" article as George Payne does.

Nisbet 1912 repeats the same quotation as in 1910 above.

Now from my own research:

"The Observer" 12th June 1910 notes that Horace Hutchinson was the Referee on the Opening, and that:

"When the architects of this course became known (they were Mr Harry S Colt of Sunningdale, and James Braid) we had no fears about the equity of the bunkering of the fair-way or of the fortifications of the green; the earthworks thrown up form some of the nearest things to nature that one has struck in golf - and we know of a nice variety."

Also interestingly for those who love a "steeplechase" ridge or bunker (no stump grinders back then so simple burying of this linear feature was necessary):

"The griefs of the hedgerows at the 15th green in the afternoon virtually decided the match"

(other reports tell me that Taylor and Vardon took 7 on the 15th hole to be Dormie 3 down)

Lastly, at Luncheon the reporter noted on the content of the speeches:

"As Lord Lieutenant of Essex the Earl of Warwick said that Essex at least was grateful, and no doubt Hertfordshire had similar feelings. He dwelt on the work of Mr. Colt and James Braid, and mentioned that Douglas Rolland and Ayton had formed high opinions of teh possibilities of this course."

Also, "The Sunday People" June 12 1910 wrote:
  "The new 18-holes course which has been laid out at Bishops Stortford under the advice of James Braid, the ex-champion, and Mr H.S. Colt, was formally opened on Saturday"

So, it seems that whether collaboration directly or consequently the work was completed by both in the same short 15-month period (March 1909 to June 1910).

And it sounds as if H.S. Colt's naturalisation and construction of hazards, and Braid's routing and strategic bunkering combined to make a challenging and well-regarded layout.

The patronage of a wealthy landowner, who no doubt wanted the very best, may have brought them "together".

I think the point I was really trying to make is that there must have been a flow of information, collaboration (formally or otherwise), imitation and observation at this period between many participants, which brought the art into the "Golden Age".

This particular project seems to have brought them far closer together than anyone previously may have realised, and my presumption was that Harry Colt would, given the eulogising at Luncheon, possibly have been present too.

The other factor to my contention is that James Braid was always fiercely unhappy with others modifying his work, and as such the work itself by Colt, and the subsequent public acknowledgement of this in speeches and print, would not have occured without his blessing/permission.

I hope that all makes sense, and I don't think this is just a "reach" but a genuine discovery of importance...but I do defer to Adam on matters Colt of course!

I can't believe that the two never met or shared information beyond this example given the close proximity of Walton Heath to Sunningdale, and the sheer amount of golf Braid played on that great links and others that HS Colt was involved with.

Braid certainly played in the Opening tournament at Colts's St Georges Hill for a single "off the top of my head" example.

EDIT - In fact on checking he played St. Georges Hill 5 times between 1913 and 1932.

Re. Sunningdale he played there 13 times between 1913  and 1940

Hope that all helps, and is of interest to the group.

Niall C

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2024, 02:20:50 PM »
Simon

I don't think it at all unusual in that period for clubs to take advice (or not !) from different gca's at more or less the same time, which no doubt caused a bit of friction. A couple of examples from up here involving Braid and MacKenzie would be Erskine and Pollok. In the case of Pollok Braid was consulted on one of MacKenzies proposed changes and advised against it. For some reason Braid gets barely a mention in The Spirit of St Andrews !

Niall

Simon Barrington

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2024, 02:23:29 PM »
I can't prove that Braid and Colt actually 'worked together' anywhere. When Bishops Stortford GC opened in 1909, it was advertised as having been "laid out under the advice of Mr. James Braid with improvements suggested by Mr. Harry Colt." And in 1919, Pennard launched a plan to improve the course after 'visits recently paid to the links by James Braid and Mr. H. S. Colt'. "Braid's scheme which embodies some of Mr. Colt's suggestions, was adopted."

Hi Adam

I have replied on a similar question from Tony regarding Bishops Stortford.
Rather than duplicating it in reply, please can you take look, I'd be very interested in your input given your Colt expertise!

Whether actually working side-by-side or collaborating (formally or otherwise) or merely following in each others footsteps and understanding each others work by observation and osmosis, there must have been a flow of inspiration and information that comes together across several designers of the day to create such a creative movement. A golfing Bloomsbury Group...

I don't think for a minute (given what he and other working class professionals put on the ground) that the progression of the art was the sole preserve of the highly-educated. Assimilation and competition drive creative people to success, regardess of class or education.

Thanks, genuinely, for the questions and I hope I have discovered some interesting stuff for you to add to!

I am very interested in Colt and all architects (ODGs and Modern)...my love for Braid was down to proximity, he designed my home club.

Interestingly for you that could have been so different, as I recently discovered in the HGC archives from Minutes that in 1930 both H.S. Colt and Tom Simpson were asked to produce a report on the course regarding suggested alterations. They were both paid for these and the Great Depression then put paid to any such work. Sadly we do not have copies of the reports, please look out for them!

Cheers
Simon

Ken Moum

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2024, 02:33:12 PM »
Re. the original question, I still think I have to put Brora at the top of the list of Braid courses I've played.  Last summer my wife picked up a flyer about the seven courses on James Braid Highland Golf Trail, and as we'd previously played Boat, Inverness, Tain, Golspie, Fortrose & Rosemarkie, and had just made the trip to play Reay, she said we "needed" to see Muir of Ord.

I think we've played 14 Braid courses and, as others have said, they are all a pleasure.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Simon Barrington

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2024, 02:41:58 PM »
Simon
I don't think it at all unusual in that period for clubs to take advice (or not !) from different gca's at more or less the same time, which no doubt caused a bit of friction. A couple of examples from up here involving Braid and MacKenzie would be Erskine and Pollok. In the case of Pollok Braid was consulted on one of MacKenzies proposed changes and advised against it. For some reason Braid gets barely a mention in The Spirit of St Andrews !
Niall

Indeed, and I think the characters concerned also were very different.

Not in any judgment, as I know how we all revere the ODGs, and often different ones.

Dr Mackenzie & Braid were polar opposites in nature.

Dr Mackenzie certainly liked to be in as many photos with this work as possible, and (allegedly) inflated the course work he had done in number in his advertisements (post his departure from working with Colt etc.). No critique he had to get a business going.

I have not seen or found an advertsiment by Braid at all, but being Open Champion 5 times certainly helped him get work for sure!

It was a shame Dr Mackenzie was quite so disparaging of others and their work at times, he even criticised Colt, not just Braid.

I dont think that refected well on his evident genius.

Everyone had to put food on the table and grow the game after all!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back