News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Simon Barrington

Today, February 6th marks the occasion of 5 time Open Champion, James Braid's birth (in 1870 nr. Earlsferry in Fife, Scotland).

As a newbie to the group I wanted to ask (as my very first discussion topic) for your favourite "James Braid" courses, and why they resonate with you.

Braid was an innovative and prolific designer, the list of his involvement is up to c.540 courses now, and is growing as more research is being done.

Less-known in the US due to his sea-sickness preventing the boat trip, he was invited numerous times to play in the US Open and was supposed to accompany Vardon on at least one of his famous US Tours (Ted Ray the beneficiary of his no show).

"Advanced Golf" (1908) is IMHO an under-read and under-appreciated book, especially the two chapters on course design.
These are the clear bridge between the penal and strategic approaches.

Many of you may have read summaries as to his principles, but I would recommend reading the full text in "Advanced Golf".
One can then see that he was an early innovator and thoughtful designed of golf courses.

So, to kick off my joining the group (Thanks Ran) and to celebrate the man who made a huge design contribution to the game, please let me know which are your favourites (& why)

Best wishes and thanks for having me, Simon

P.S. For full disclosure I have the role of Researcher for "The Association of James Braid Courses", and hope not to be a "Braid Bore" as I have a genuine passion for golf and golf architecture.

David_Tepper

Re: James Braid's Birthday - Favourite Courses he was involved with?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 10:20:57 AM »
James Braid and his 400 Golf Courses is a must have.

https://www.finegolfbooks.com/pages/books/7141/john-f-moreton-iain-cumming/james-braid-and-his-four-hundred-golf-courses

I have been a member at Golspie GC for over 20 years and love playing there. A nice combination of seaside, heathland and parkland holes in a very scenic spot.

p.s. I will add that Golspie has an excellent & varied collection of five par-3's.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 02:16:27 PM by David_Tepper »

Simon Barrington

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 10:30:59 AM »
Thanks David,

Love Golspie too, certainly been a newsworthy club of late with the weather and bids etc. There are some great holes out there!

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 10:38:37 AM »
 Simon,

Welcome and don’t worry about being a Braid Bore. We need your passion.

So I went to a list of Braid courses to see if I played any. I’m in Philadelphia and travel to UK to play now and then.

Here’s my list of Braid courses played.

Brora. Great *
Dunbar. Charming *
Dunstanburgh. Enjoyable
Formby. Solid *
Golspie. Pleasure
Goswick. Strong*
Knole Park. Ok
Littlestone. Builds to strong close*
Pennard. Excellent *
Deal. Blast*
Southport and Ainsdale. Loved quirk
St. Enedoc. Testing *
West Lancs. Favorite on Southport trip*
Wallasey. Very good. *

Tough to pick one. Can’t believe I played that many.

I put an asterisk next to favorite ten.

Somehow missed the fabulous Perranporth on the list. Thanks, Garland
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 10:54:52 AM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 10:47:15 AM »
Perranporth

;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 10:51:16 AM »
Yes, Simon, welcome.

I am a huge fan of Golspie for the reasons that David mentions. But I have enjoyed all of the Braid courses I have played.

Brora--pure links
Blairgowrie--he does a lot with a limited site plus a great finish
Fraserburgh--raw, wild, varied
Gleneagles Kings--strong especially the Par 4s
Gleneagles Queens--another course with great variety and is fun

I believe that Braid gets some credit for Royal Aberdeen and Nairn. Both are very strong links and RA has great movement.

Enjoy your research.

Ira

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2024, 11:47:11 AM »
Simon

As with every other ODG (old dead guy) there is always the question of what is their work and what is someone else's. I presume that is a question that you'll be better placed to answer than many. I tend to think that Braid gets more design credit than most on courses that have had different architects involved over the period of their existence. I often think that Braid got a design credit for every time he spied a course when he went by in the train ! That said, he produced some really good stuff.

Local to where I live I'd pick Cawder and East Ren as being the two stand-out courses by Braid. Slightly further afield I'd also highly recommend Hamilton.

Niall

Simon Barrington

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2024, 11:52:06 AM »
James Braid and his 400 Golf Courses is a must have.

https://www.finegolfbooks.com/pages/books/7141/john-f-moreton-iain-cumming/james-braid-and-his-four-hundred-golf-courses

I have been a member at Golspie GC for over 20 years and love playing there. A nice combination of seaside, heathland and parkland holes in a very scenic spot.

The other Book to get/read is George Payne's opus magnus "The Divine Fury of James Braid" in three huge volumes (The Man, The Golfer, The Architect) which is a work of unbelievable research. George is married to James Braid's Granddaughter and so has access to the great man's ledgers and records, he has done incredible work.

https://www.ypdbooks.com/sport/1985-divine-fury-of-james-braid.html

Simon Barrington

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2024, 11:56:33 AM »
Simon,

Welcome and don’t worry about being a Braid Bore. We need your passion.

So I went to a list of Braid courses to see if I played any. I’m in Philadelphia and travel to UK to play now and then.

Here’s my list of Braid courses played.

Brora. Great *
Dunbar. Charming *
Dunstanburgh. Enjoyable
Formby. Solid *
Golspie. Pleasure
Goswick. Strong*
Knole Park. Ok
Littlestone. Builds to strong close*
Pennard. Excellent *
Deal. Blast*
Southport and Ainsdale. Loved quirk
St. Enedoc. Testing *
West Lancs. Favorite on Southport trip*
Wallasey. Very good. *

Tough to pick one. Can’t believe I played that many.

I put an asterisk next to favorite ten.

Somehow missed the fabulous Perranporth on the list. Thanks, Garland

Thanks Mike, very kind.

Good list of courses, he rarely disappoints. No.1 feeling on his courses is FUN.
Unless you are tryng to score round Carnoustie in a gale! But even that has a reward!

Glad you highlighted a few less obvious ones, West Lancs often below the radar as so much good golf around there.
Dunbar is a favourite of mine too, Braid worked with Ben Sayers there as well as The Glen (aka North Berwick East)

Simon Barrington

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2024, 11:58:34 AM »
Perranporth

;D

A rocking rollercoaster of blind shots across another Braid Links in the Sky. Great fun.

Pennard of similar ilk, few designers routed tough terrain as well as James Braid (eg Church Stretton & Welshpool)

Simon Barrington

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 12:02:42 PM »
Yes, Simon, welcome.

I am a huge fan of Golspie for the reasons that David mentions. But I have enjoyed all of the Braid courses I have played.

Brora--pure links
Blairgowrie--he does a lot with a limited site plus a great finish
Fraserburgh--raw, wild, varied
Gleneagles Kings--strong especially the Par 4s
Gleneagles Queens--another course with great variety and is fun

I believe that Braid gets some credit for Royal Aberdeen and Nairn. Both are very strong links and RA has great movement.

Enjoy your research.

Ira

Thank you, and a great list and you are correct on the other two fine courses where his bunkering shines.
I have always loved the Queens which is more intimate than the Kings (his masterpeice).

Fraserburgh have recently engaged CDP so hopeful of sensitive renovation there. One I am yet to play/visit...too many courses so little time!

Cheers

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 12:23:41 PM »
I would have loved to have seen the Course Braid designed at Torrie for the Dunfermline Golf Club. Driving through the area, it’s still easy to spot the remnant features in the landscape.
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Simon Barrington

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 01:06:29 PM »
Simon

As with every other ODG (old dead guy) there is always the question of what is their work and what is someone else's. I presume that is a question that you'll be better placed to answer than many. I tend to think that Braid gets more design credit than most on courses that have had different architects involved over the period of their existence. I often think that Braid got a design credit for every time he spied a course when he went by in the train ! That said, he produced some really good stuff.

Local to where I live I'd pick Cawder and East Ren as being the two stand-out courses by Braid. Slightly further afield I'd also highly recommend Hamilton.

Niall

I hear you and that is always a difficulty when there is cross-over.

The ball is sometimes on the other foot, we know several courses and clubs that know exactly what he did sometimes with copious documentation, but they do not even mention it, as they wish to have a differing architectural/marketing association.
Generally this is to ensure attraction by visiting golfers who are less au fait with Braid's work vs. say Mackenzie, Colt or Park.

I have found courses where Braid and Colt worked together, Braid & Vardon, and many where he made alterations, remodels, extensions and re-bunkering of others work. And vice versa.

I have found that Braid generally did so sensitively (esp. OTM & Dunn Courses post the advent of the Haskell Ball)

Cawder is a fine inland course (notable to me as I once caught food-poisoning at a local hotel near there when I ran a PGA Tournament there in 1990, and I almost died!) still need to get to "East Ren" which has a fine reputation...one day. Hamilton is also a very good test, played in the Shamash Trophy (I think thats there Open Scratch event?) there back in the day.

Thanks & Cheers
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 05:59:10 PM by Simon Barrington »

Simon Barrington

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2024, 01:09:50 PM »
I would have loved to have seen the Course Braid designed at Torrie for the Dunfermline Golf Club. Driving through the area, it’s still easy to spot the remnant features in the landscape.
Cheers,
F.

Indeed there are well over 100 NLE Braid Courses, Dunfermline (Torrie) being one that had good reviews, possible to restore? One Day perhaps, I think the land is still undeveloped.

BTW - Was reading of the sad potential news about Colt's Caird Park (Dundee 3) earlier and your entries on here about it...hopefully it can be saved

John Sabino

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2024, 01:26:31 PM »
Boat of Garten - underrated, but awesome
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Simon Barrington

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2024, 01:32:50 PM »
Boat of Garten - underrated, but awesome

Love it! One of his best routings.

Especially when the Club has another sport in its full name!
Boat of Garten Golf & Tennis Club

(Like Philadelphia Cricket & Rockaway Hunting!)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2024, 01:51:37 PM »
Cheers,
F.

Indeed there are well over 100 NLE Braid Courses, Dunfermline (Torrie) being one that had good reviews, possible to restore? One Day perhaps, I think the land is still undeveloped.

BTW - Was reading of the sad potential news about Colt's Caird Park (Dundee 3) earlier and your entries on here about it...hopefully it can be saved

Simon,
Yes, the land at Torrie is still largely undeveloped. There is a new-ish A Road now running through the middle of the former course, but it could be worked with. Torrie House, which must have been one of the grandest clubhouses in the Country is now fairly well derelict. Dunfermline GC have had quite a colourful past with a variety of Courses, Clubhouses - and Architects!
Caird Park gets hammered by the local neds and various other ne’er-do-wells. Thefts, break-ins, rampant vandalism, etc are almost daily occurrences. I sadly fear the Council will be unwilling to sustain investing in the place much longer.
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2024, 02:22:04 PM »
Welcome Simon!

I've played Southport & Ainsdale, Formby and Mullingar. I wasn't aware that Braid was involved with Formby, but I've just checked the Formby Golf Club (1884-1972) book by Ivor S. Thomas, and indeed he was brought in during 1921 to make some changes, mostly to the final few holes. The committee "decided that Braid was to be left alone, and no suggestions were made to him". 

I played Mullingar way back in 1984 or 1985, so I don't remember much. I remember the par three 2nd and recall a couple of good holes at the start of the back nine. I really liked Formby, but there's something about S&A that edges it for me.

Braid is often mentioned as having done some work at Rosapenna; I'd love to know exactly what he did and when. I believe he mentions Rosapenna in his book.

HarryBrinkerhofDoyleIVakaBarry

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2024, 03:04:27 PM »

Any idea what the scope of work is?

One of my absolute favorite courses in the world. 

Fraserburgh have recently engaged CDP so hopeful of sensitive renovation there. One I am yet to play/visit...too many courses so little time!

Cheers

Simon Barrington

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2024, 05:40:28 PM »

Any idea what the scope of work is?

One of my absolute favorite courses in the world. 

Cheers

Unsure, just seen the on-line announcements and I recall it was one of Sam Cooper's favourites when he did his Tour of all the Links Courses in the UK (he is now with CDP). So I think they are in the Analysis and Heritage gathering mode. If so we/I am happy to assist.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2024, 05:47:38 PM »
Simon, Sean Arble has excellent photos of at least ten Braid courses, which can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/152135786@N05/albums

I have some, which can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157722535433738/

Simon Barrington

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2024, 06:08:27 PM »
Welcome Simon!

I've played Southport & Ainsdale, Formby and Mullingar. I wasn't aware that Braid was involved with Formby, but I've just checked the Formby Golf Club (1884-1972) book by Ivor S. Thomas, and indeed he was brought in during 1921 to make some changes, mostly to the final few holes. The committee "decided that Braid was to be left alone, and no suggestions were made to him". 

I played Mullingar way back in 1984 or 1985, so I don't remember much. I remember the par three 2nd and recall a couple of good holes at the start of the back nine. I really liked Formby, but there's something about S&A that edges it for me.

Braid is often mentioned as having done some work at Rosapenna; I'd love to know exactly what he did and when. I believe he mentions Rosapenna in his book.

Hi Donal

Re. Rosapenna - I have seen an article in the BGCS Through the Green that states "James Braid also visited Rosapenna some time later and redesigned a couple of holes." This ws the Old (aka OTM Course)

The Club website states that: "[size=78%]Harry Vardon and James Braid visited Rosapenna (in 1906)..[/size][size=78%]. [/size]
[size=78%]They added length and more detailed bunkering but [/size][size=78%]were wise enough to leave those wonderful natural greens untouched."[/size]

[size=78%]Mullingar is undergoing yet another renovation, Jeff Lynch is leading this and seems very much engaged in the Braid heritage so hopeful something good can come of that. The 2nd is a famous Par-3 where Braid allegedly was told on his return that no-one could hold a ball on this green, so he threw down three balls and with three different clubs did so with each![/size]

[size=78%]S&A is great, it has had recent work which I have only seen pictures of  (I think by Marc Westenborg formerly with Hawtrees) but looks as if club has kept traditional revetted bunkering (increasingly not the case in the UK) and added sections of M&E-like sand scrapes in the dunes.[/size]

[size=78%]Formby is one of the few Top 50 UK & Ire courses I have yet to play, but has a wonderful reputation so that's my loss (or opportunity!)[/size]

Simon Barrington

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2024, 06:09:18 PM »
Simon, Sean Arble has excellent photos of at least ten Braid courses, which can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/152135786@N05/albums

I have some, which can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157722535433738/

Thank you! Will take a look,very kind.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2024, 05:10:55 AM »
Not 100% that these are all JB originals, or what his involvement was, but here's five courses that I believe he worked at that I love:

St Enodoc
Pennard
Goswick
Gleneagles (Kings)
Brora

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2024, 05:34:27 AM »
I think my favourite are

Welshpool
Church Stretton (although I suspect Braid had a minor say)
Pennard
St Enodoc
Perranporth
Tenby (perhaps more say than at Church Stretton)

With the possible exception of Tenby, all are wildly rambunctious courses covering some wild terrain. Generally my kinda course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back