News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Sod used to drain a bunker
« on: December 28, 2023, 10:41:43 PM »
I went to Wisconsin a few months back and played Lawsonia and discussed their new bunkers with their head professional.  He said they had done the rebuild in house and their method was to dig out the bunker and then lay some sod in the bottom of the bunker and kill the grass. They would then put the sand in on top of the sod and they said that the sod would absorb the water which came through the sand. Is anyone familiar with this method of rebuilding bunkers and has it been successful?

Jeff Schley

Re: Sod used to drain a bunker
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 02:05:53 AM »
I know this has been used, with inverting the sod with green down to kill the grass and avoid any grass growing through. 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 06:26:29 AM »
I went to Wisconsin a few months back and played Lawsonia and discussed their new bunkers with their head professional.  He said they had done the rebuild in house and their method was to dig out the bunker and then lay some sod in the bottom of the bunker and kill the grass. They would then put the sand in on top of the sod and they said that the sod would absorb the water which came through the sand. Is anyone familiar with this method of rebuilding bunkers and has it been successful?
http://www.tacomaturf.net/2012/05/i-cant-find-words.html

http://www.tacomaturf.net/2012/05/bunkers-and-teeways-lookn-good.html

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 01:25:24 PM »
The sod has nothing to do with drainage, or absorbing water. It's a liner in the cavity that serves as barrier between the native soil and the bunker sand to prevent the latter from getting contaminated with stones, rocks and other soil.

We've used this method to great effect, particularly throughout the Pacific Northwest; similar to what's also been done at Tacoma, linked above.
jeffmingay.com

Rob Marshall

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 07:06:51 PM »
What we did at my club.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Mark_Fine

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 08:37:17 PM »
Jeff answered before I could. We have used this technique often and it is effective.  Personally I don’t like liners and only use them when absolutely necessary but sod is a cost effective option when budget is a concern. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 04:50:26 AM »
Laying turf in the base of bunkers has been pretty standard practice at UK parkland courses or courses where stones are likely to ride up and 'contaminate' the bunkers forever. The debate often seems to be grass side down or grass side up but killed-off but let's not go there! Turf can be harvested on-site.
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back