News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wolf

Resources on George Cobb?
« on: December 18, 2023, 03:51:50 PM »
A descendant of George Cobb asked if I could recommend any books or internet resources on his work.

Any suggestions? A quick search of GCA thread titles only turned up a couple of similar requests from 20 years ago.

Thank you,
Michael

Mike_Young

Re: Resources on George Cobb?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 07:37:07 AM »
Why don't you check in with John LaFoy?  He worked with him as did Tom Jackson.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Adam_Messix

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 07:40:15 AM »
Check your PM.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 10:09:58 AM »
Have not heard that name in a while. Mr. Cobb was the original architect of the Fort Jackson Golf Club (1949) and he was employed as a landscape architect by the National Park Service.  Fort Jackson now has 36 holes (20 holes were added by Arthur Davis in 1992-3 when I left the Army) and is one of the nicer military golf facilities in the America and worth playing if you can get on base. I think, if I remember correctly, most of his work is in the South. Since he was already on the payroll, he designed quite a few military golf courses. Other than that, his name does not come up all that often. He also, according to Wikipedia, for what that is worth, designed the par 3 course at ANGC. I am surprised with the amount of designs that he has to his name. There appears to be enough to write a book.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Carl Johnson

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 11:28:47 AM »
Cobb did the back nine at the Fort Mill (SC) Golf Club, a public.  It's o.k. in my opinion, but can't touch the Ross front nine.  Cobb also did Mountain Glen in Newland, NC, which is not a bad daily fee course.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 08:41:20 AM »
I think George Cobb would rank near the top of lists of both most prolific GCAs, as well as most under appreciated GCAs.  At the risk of coming across as provincial, which I probably am, I think Cobb’s body of work is perhaps under appreciated, at least here, simply because it was almost all in the Southeast. 

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bernie Bell

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 10:37:32 AM »
I think George Cobb would rank near the top of lists of both most prolific GCAs, as well as most under appreciated GCAs.  At the risk of coming across as provincial, which I probably am, I think Cobb’s body of work is perhaps under appreciated, at least here, simply because it was almost all in the Southeast.
Same with Ellis Maples?  The Gordons?  Ed Ault?  I wonder if there was some residual regional touch or quality that these fellows brought to their work that was not universally appreciated, and was the better for it.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 11:51:07 AM »
It seems that Cobb is the leader in the clubhouse for building military courses as evidenced by his body of work. I’ve played a lot of rounds at Oak Island GC in Caswell Beach, North Carolina and always enjoyed the golf course. I would like to see the work that Tim Cate did out at Bald Head Island Club as I thought the original was pretty uninspiring despite the location and piece of land.

Mike Worth

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 12:04:51 PM »
It seems that Cobb is the leader in the clubhouse for building military courses as evidenced by his body of work. I’ve played a lot of rounds at Oak Island GC in Caswell Beach, North Carolina and always enjoyed the golf course. I would like to see the work that Tim Cate did out at Bald Head Island Club as I thought the original was pretty uninspiring despite the location and piece of land.

The only military course of his that I played is Fort Eustis - I was based nearby at Fort Monroe in the mid 90s

I remember liking the course a lot and thought it was challenging enough and interesting with good use made of the terrain.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 02:08:58 PM »
Via the database I inherited from a generous person who like the wiki, I have 10 courses associated with George Cobb: https://golfcourse.wiki/architect/George_Cobb

Unfortunately, all but one of them have effectively no data associated with them, but each points to a website that can probably provide more information. If I'm obviously missing anything, or if anyone knows what work Cobb did on each course, feel free to just click edit and update it (or let me know and I'll update it).
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 03:30:07 PM »
I’ve played a lot of rounds at Oak Island GC in Caswell Beach, North Carolina and always enjoyed the golf course.

Thanks Tim.
Just got done playing OIGC for the first time this morning. What a gem.
Initial impressions:
-during the prevailing wind, all four par fives are three shot holes from the white tees (5940 yds.) and I can't recall a course I've played that can match that.
-the variety of the greenside bunkering is exceptional.
-reality or not, the greens seemed small overall.
-sadly, cart paths cross a few fairways in inexplicable areas.

P.S. So enjoyable I'm playing again Tuesday.

P.S.S. Cobb's Glen, Anderson, SC, is a course I liked to punish myself playing. Relentless.

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 04:09:35 PM »
I’ve played a lot of rounds at Oak Island GC in Caswell Beach, North Carolina and always enjoyed the golf course.

Thanks Tim.
Just got done playing OIGC for the first time this morning. What a gem.
Initial impressions:
-during the prevailing wind, all four par fives are three shot holes from the white tees (5940 yds.) and I can't recall a course I've played that can match that.
-the variety of the greenside bunkering is exceptional.
-reality or not, the greens seemed small overall.
-sadly, cart paths cross a few fairways in inexplicable areas.

P.S. So enjoyable I'm playing again Tuesday.

P.S.S. Cobb's Glen, Anderson, SC, is a course I liked to punish myself playing. Relentless.

Peter-I’m glad to hear you liked the course. I agree with your take on the par five holes with number 1 being the most friendly which isn’t a bad thing. There is plenty of wind with the ocean directly across Country Club Dr./Caswell Beach Rd.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 12:57:00 PM »
Michael - Mr. Cobb’s son is a good friend of mine. I’m sure he can provide any information you might need. Let me know if you’re still seeking info by DM and I’ll provide his contact details.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike Tanner

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 05:08:34 PM »
Michael,
George Cobb designed Red Wing Lake Golf Course in Virginia Beach. The course opened in 1968 on flat land south of the city's resort strip,  abutting a Virginia National Guard camp and a US Navy installation at Dam Neck. The course is owned by the city of Virginia Beach and operated as a municipal facility. In 2005, the city renovated the course under the direction of Kevin Tucker. Almost all of the bunkers (fairway and greenside) were removed and putting surfaces largely flattened. In my opinion, the course lost a lot of character, but it's still in operation, which is a good thing.

Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back