News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Lido
« on: December 15, 2023, 05:27:16 PM »
The new Lido entered the Golf Magazine current World Top 100 List at 68. The press has been glowing regardless of the source and I don’t remember a new course that I’ve wanted to play more. Where will it fall on the list in 2025 and 2030 and ultimately how low can it go?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 06:29:36 PM by Tim Martin »

Tim_Weiman

Re: Lido
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 06:32:48 PM »
The new Lido entered the Golf Magazine current World Top 100 List at 68. The press has been glowing regardless of the source and I don’t remember a new course that I’ve wanted to play more. Where will it fall on the list in 2025 and 2030 and ultimately how low can it go?
Tim,

I too look forward to seeing the new Lido. Spoke to Sand Valley recently. Tee times for 2024 are sold out.

Tim Weiman

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 09:23:58 PM »
I will be interested to see how Sand Valley handles all the requests they will get to play Lido. It is a private club with a few tee times allocated for Sand Valley guests. I wonder if they will open up more tee times.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 07:37:31 AM »
When you say low, are you saying improve in the rankings?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 02:47:10 PM »
I will be interested to see how Sand Valley handles all the requests they will get to play Lido. It is a private club with a few tee times allocated for Sand Valley guests. I wonder if they will open up more tee times.

I doubt they will open up more times for a year or two, until they see how much the members utilize the course.

With Sedge Valley opening next summer, there are plenty of other courses for the resort guests to play.

William_G

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 09:32:51 PM »
sadly the season is so short for golf in WI
lodging and tee times are booked out

same with Bandon and they are almost 365/24/7

It's all about the golf!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 08:44:50 AM »
Have my tee times, including Lido for the end of July. We have to call back for Sedge Valley after the first of the year. The pics of Lido look outstanding and I am excited to play it.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 10:49:34 AM »
Have my tee times, including Lido for the end of July. We have to call back for Sedge Valley after the first of the year. The pics of Lido look outstanding and I am excited to play it.
Richard,

Good for you. I know a guy who organizes a trip for 8-12 guys every year. Not being able to get on Lido killed interest in Sand Valley altogether for the group.

The Lido factor for Sand Valley may be a unique situation that will be interesting to watch in the next couple years.
Tim Weiman

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 11:31:44 AM »
Does anyone know whey Lido went private?

St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Buck Wolter

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 11:44:07 AM »

I don't think it went private it was developed as a private course
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 11:54:15 AM »

I knew that. That's what I meant. I know a couple of members.
St. John of the Cross

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 02:45:15 PM »
Perhaps an obvious question, but why did they make it private in the first place?

Buck Wolter

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2023, 03:06:21 PM »

I knew that. That's what I meant. I know a couple of members.

Perhaps an obvious question, but why did they make it private in the first place?

Andy Johnson talked about The Lido on his recent New Courses for 2023 podcast and talked about how his opinion is that The Lido would not be a good resort course -- all the things that make it so good architecturally (I have not played) take many plays to understand and differ by pin position, wind, etc.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2023, 06:58:17 PM »
Buck,

I haven’t seen Lido or heard Andy Johnson’s podcast, but can’t help wondering if it would be more accurate to say Lido will be a good resort course yet an even better course for members based on the factors you said Johnson mentioned.

I’m sure Tom Doak has a view and it would be great to hear what Tom thinks.

The only person I know that has played it (other than the Renaissance guys) is Paul Rudovsky and he loved it.
Tim Weiman

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 09:56:14 AM »
Architecturally, Lido probably fits in the world top 25. It's astonishingly good.

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 10:13:19 AM »
Architecturally, Lido probably fits in the world top 25. It's astonishingly good.

John-Thanks for your post as that was the direction I was hoping the thread would take.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 10:16:14 AM by Tim Martin »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 10:27:31 AM »

Not sure, but from my limited understanding, they do have some limited tee times (maybe on certain days of the week) for resort guests as well.
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2023, 11:04:07 AM »

Not sure, but from my limited understanding, they do have some limited tee times (maybe on certain days of the week) for resort guests as well.

As was said earlier those are sold out for 2024 already.  When I played there late this year, I was told they were already sold out for 2024 then.

Chris

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 11:20:20 AM »
There are loads of awesome drone photos of Lido.

If you want ground level photos in the style of a photo tour I'm known for, go here:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/Lido/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2023, 11:35:03 AM »
I believe that there was some discussion at Bandon, about Sheep Ranch being developed as a private course. It was very early on, and didn't get far. Remember that Mr. Keiser's first effort is a nine-hole, private club, and that he loves many a private club around the world. Perhaps that will be the subject of my next interview with Gen2.0 of the Keisers: why private?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 12:10:58 PM »

It looks amazing and I cannot wait to play it. Glad we already have our tee times booked!

mark chalfant

Re: Lido New
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2023, 12:53:44 PM »
Tim, Lido is an exceptional work of art. The bunkering, strategy, and ground contours are among the best I have ever seen. The massive greens are beyond fascinating. I hope that raters play the course 2-3 times before submitting their ballot. It is a stern test full of unforgettable architectural nuance and details!

Tim, as a Macdonald/Raynor fan you will love it.

For me The Lido is top 35-40 in the world and easily top 20 in America.

p.s. kudos to Brian Zager of Renaissance Golf Design for his great LIDAR work at Lido
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 11:17:34 PM by mark chalfant »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2023, 02:01:28 PM »
I believe that there was some discussion at Bandon, about Sheep Ranch being developed as a private course. It was very early on, and didn't get far. Remember that Mr. Keiser's first effort is a nine-hole, private club, and that he loves many a private club around the world. Perhaps that will be the subject of my next interview with Gen2.0 of the Keisers: why private?

I think the answer is just that they wanted to keep the businesses separate.

In Bandon, Phil Friedmann was a partner in The Sheep Ranch but not in the resort.  So the original idea of it being private was to give it a separate identity.

In Wisconsin, a lot of the seed money for Sand Valley was raised from founder members, who were being squeezed out of playing as much as they wanted by the success of the resort.  Most of them happily agreed to take their deposit $ as founders and transfer it to a membership at The Lido.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2023, 03:38:36 PM »
Thank you, Mr. Doak. Always nice to have an expert insider chime in.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back