News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Re: Waverley GC
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2023, 05:45:13 PM »
13  = Ruapehu P3 (152m / 166y)

A midrange P3

To another green with a false front

From the back

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2023, 05:45:57 PM »
14  = Ladies Mile P5 (470m / 514y)

My favourite P5 on the course – and first of B2B P5s - a split fairway with a ridge running through it

The preference is to take the high road so one gets a look at the green

Back down the fairway

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2023, 05:46:49 PM »
15 = Temptation P5 (435m / 475y)

A dogleg right P5 – down into a gully

Then uphill

To a small target

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2023, 02:14:18 AM »
16 = The Wrecker P3 (162m / 177y)

Another midrange P3 

To a well protected green

Looking back to the tee between the trees

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2023, 02:16:35 AM »
17 = Westward Ho (4 (337m / 369y)

Drive (mind the pats) slight dogleg right

Uphill to the green

Looking back down the rumpled fairway

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2023, 02:17:07 AM »
18 = Seaview P4 (310m / 339y)

Dogleg right

Uphill

A delightful final view

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2023, 09:45:01 AM »

You may see in some of the photos above they are planting some small trees in drums to replant. IMO some may be required but probably not in the volume that's there.

Yes, I saw this at another course that Clyde had recommended -- Marton -- and asked why they planted so many trees, because I thought the course would be prettier if it was more open.  The response was that the club made $30k per year from its little forestry blocks and that was a significant part of their maintenance budget!  So, I will give them a pass on the planting plan.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2023, 03:11:53 PM »
I played Waverley a few years ago after reading the enthusiastic recommendation in Clyde's book.  He's absolutely right.  The course is charming and utilizes the terrain so well that it does not need any built hazards like bunkers even though I believe it's on sand.  Whenever someone asks me about a golf trip to New Zealand I encourage them to visit at least one or two "country" courses as it will give you the feel of how many play the game in NZ.  The country courses that I played are all enjoyable with Waverley being the the cream of the crop. 

I think Tom Doak's description that he used for Kington in the UK applies with Waverley.  It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but for a connoisseur it will be a real joy to visit and play.  $15NZ well spent! 

Niall C

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2023, 08:54:39 AM »
Kevin

Thanks for this thread. I doubt I'll ever make it down to NZ but if I did I'd like to think I'd play at Waverley. Looks fantastic and just the type of rumbustious rustic course I'd love.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2023, 09:53:40 AM »
Kevin

This looks to be an extraordinary property. How big is it?

Merry Christmas
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2023, 01:16:38 AM »

You may see in some of the photos above they are planting some small trees in drums to replant. IMO some may be required but probably not in the volume that's there.

Yes, I saw this at another course that Clyde had recommended -- Marton -- and asked why they planted so many trees, because I thought the course would be prettier if it was more open.  The response was that the club made $30k per year from its little forestry blocks and that was a significant part of their maintenance budget!  So, I will give them a pass on the planting plan.

Tom

I agree - Marton has some damn good makings of a very good layout. It's about 15mins out of town and virtually in the middle of nowhere.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2023, 01:32:34 AM »
Kevin

This looks to be an extraordinary property. How big is it?

Merry Christmas

Sean

That's a very good question - I honestly dont know?

There's some pockets land inside the boundaries of the property that have old pine trees cleared and not used. I'd hazard a guess around the 100 mark?   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back