News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Business @Bandon Is Booming!
« on: October 13, 2023, 12:40:11 PM »
https://www.globalgolfpost.com/biz/wednesday-biz-business-of-bandon-2/?p=44252 

The success of Bandon Dunes is possibly one of the two or three most significant things to happen in the world of golf in the past 20-25years.

JLahrman

Re: Business @Bandon Is Booming!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 03:38:45 PM »
I agree but I can't help of thinking of Yogi Berra - nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

Steve Holloway

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 04:13:17 PM »
Have to say I was there earlier this year July to be precise and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience from the welcome to the golf to the hospitality, It was a most pleasant golf trip. They seem to have the balance right from what I saw – the golf experience is outstanding and everything is in place to ensure all runs smoothly. Customer satisfaction is without doubt a high priority  and everyone on the staff side without exception went that extra to ensure we got the most from our stay at Bandon. Im not surprised the place is attracting numbers and doing well as the ethos is to ensure all who stay there enjoy the experience. The photo of Shorty’s in the article whets the appetite for a return – not sure when if ever that will be but the memories will live on forever.

John Handley

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 05:50:13 PM »
I was just there in Sept and I think it was maybe, my 8th time.  I love Bandon Dunes and think they have done a remarkable job.  Business is booming no doubt.  But, as my interests have changed, it will probably be my last trip.  The travel to Bandon is still not easy.  I took United via SF and it was an all day affair both ways. Next was the cost, I spent about $8K for a Weds-Sun trip.  It's expensive no doubt.  So for me, I am going to spend my money and time exploring courses in England for the next 5-10 years with some more Scotland thrown in.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 06:18:42 PM »
The resort guests at Bandon are the coolest ever crafted.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 09:51:03 PM »
I was just there in Sept and I think it was maybe, my 8th time.  I love Bandon Dunes and think they have done a remarkable job.  Business is booming no doubt.  But, as my interests have changed, it will probably be my last trip.  The travel to Bandon is still not easy.  I took United via SF and it was an all day affair both ways. Next was the cost, I spent about $8K for a Weds-Sun trip.  It's expensive no doubt.  So for me, I am going to spend my money and time exploring courses in England for the next 5-10 years with some more Scotland thrown in.

That price is outrageous.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 04:15:25 AM »
It is fantastic what has been done against the location, location, location principles.

It goes to show if you build something good enough you make your own rules.

The only problem is the last 20 years have been kind for economic reasons and relative ease of travel. We looked at going as a group a few years back, it was almost impossible from Europe to make sense and yet we wanted to go because of the quality of the golf courses. The travel time and costs reduced the number of initial yesses from 24 to 1.

There may well be NO Air travel in 20 years time, or reduced to such an amount that travel is crazy expensive which will then push the boundaries to make remote golf much more difficult and then volume decreases which decreases the business viability.

ALL remote golf courses could suffer, in fact anything remote would.

Who knows what might happen with the Palestine situation. Palestine has a lot of support, it just does not have it from North America, Australia and Western Europe.

Hopefully we can all live in a wide world.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 11:48:27 AM »
Part of me wonders how much the mental aspect comes into play for those who've been to Bandon a few times.

They know its remote, they know its all about the golf 24/7, and they know they won't have the temptations of going somewhere like NY, San Fran, LA, etc. that could distract from the "just golf" experience. 

Perhaps Mike K was way ahead of the curve in understanding the allure of golfers disconnecting from the rat race to really enjoy it.

Peter Flory

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 12:17:41 PM »
I really don't mind the commute to Bandon- from Chicago at least.  If you go in mid season, you can play the day you arrive and also the day of departure.  The flight from SFO to OTH is very convenient.  From the East coast, I'm sure that it's a bigger deal. 

Streamsong is easier, but the daylight is shorter during their peak season, so I think that it works out similarly. 

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 12:30:51 PM »

+1 and agree 100% with this sentiment and it applies to me as well.

With Sand Valley more accessible for us here in Chicago, Bandon is in my rear view mirror.
First visit was in 1999 when we lived in SF. Also did the inaugural Summer Solstice tourney in 2011.

Agree it is heaven there.

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2023, 12:33:24 PM »
The success of Bandon has no doubt inspired the creation/development of Streamsong, Cabot, Sand Valley, Barnbougle and soon-to-be Rodeo Dunes. What is remarkable is that the increased competition from these new facilities to attract the traveling golfer does not seem to have impacted the demand at Bandon at all. Neither has Bandon increasing the number of courses from 2 to 5.

Build it and they will come. :)

Steve Holloway

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2023, 02:56:28 PM »

John - my sentiments entirely a trip to Bandon from the UK is eye - watering expensive and exploring golf on our own shores is now my priority - however that is becoming expensive too

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2023, 03:28:01 PM »
We have been fortunate enough to go to Bandon twice. We enjoyed it thoroughly both times. As others have noted, the “golf only” vibe is mesmerizing. Everyone you meet is there because they love golf. And even though the clientele was at least 90% men, my wife always felt included (one drunk guy on his cell phone at the table next to us excepted). It is expensive because the lodging options are limited, but we appreciated that the resort offered reasonably priced good food options even though it has a captive audience.

However, from DC where we live, Dublin, Edinburgh, and London are easier for travel (we used OTH both trips). And the golf in/near those locations is better.

Ira

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2023, 08:28:33 PM »
My wife and I were at Cabot Cape Breton this week. In the past year, I have been to Bandon, Sand Valley, and now Cabot. Each place has its own vibe. I decided that Bandon is a young man's resort. I walked 36 two days and 18 one day and was beyond tired. BT and PD are tough walks to do in one day. Sand Valley has a rustic charm that is enticing. I saw more guys my age (76) there. Cabot is an awesome place with two great courses. 30% of the players are women, and the resort did a good job of pairing us with other couples. If I return to one of those resorts, I think it would be Cabot. Bandon is overwhelming for introverts. If I could be assured of playing Lido, I'd go to Sand Valley in a heartbeat, but if I travel with my wife, Cabot is the place.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2023, 02:37:30 AM »
My wife and I were at Cabot Cape Breton this week. In the past year, I have been to Bandon, Sand Valley, and now Cabot. Each place has its own vibe. I decided that Bandon is a young man's resort. I walked 36 two days and 18 one day and was beyond tired. BT and PD are tough walks to do in one day. Sand Valley has a rustic charm that is enticing. I saw more guys my age (76) there. Cabot is an awesome place with two great courses. 30% of the players are women, and the resort did a good job of pairing us with other couples. If I return to one of those resorts, I think it would be Cabot. Bandon is overwhelming for introverts. If I could be assured of playing Lido, I'd go to Sand Valley in a heartbeat, but if I travel with my wife, Cabot is the place.

Thanks for this summary.

I’ve have been to none of the three. I generally prefer club golf to resort golf.

Partly - but not completely - because of location, Bandon would be my last choice of these three and I envisage that I will never travel there.

Cabot was the one I preferred out of the three. I had no real interest in the original two Sand Valley courses. However, with the addition of Lido and Sedge Valley as something different, I could definitely see myself making a Wisconsin trip if I could combine with a return to the Chicago area.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2023, 09:35:20 AM »
Bandon is the shortest four hour and fifteen minute drive from my house….I have logged close to 300 rounds on those courses over the last 20+ years and I can’t get enough of that wonderful stuff….

We currently have reservations for November2023, February 2024, November 2024 and February 2025….I have given them our dates for November 2025, but they are not quite that deep into the datebook yet….

Their reservation staff sends out a request form each year to the regulars to book their trips, and then they fit them together like a well crafted game of Tetris….my group has been pegged as being able to have the first tee times of the day (I bet they keep stats on playing times) and we always have the ability to play 36/day even with short days….

The staff is helpful, without the fawning BS at some other high priced resorts….as my buddy Nick says, “What they do at Bandon they do the best….and what they don’t do, I don’t give a F*#k about”. Food is good, beds and showers are comfortable and the golf is spectacular. 

My wife knows that I will get the call to fill out another persons trip/tee sheet with minimal notice and I will load clubs, all my clothes from shorts/short sleeves to full crab fishing rain gear and get out on I-5…a bonus trip to Nirvana….

I am so pleased that the Kaiser family has made this remote destination such a success.

Only five weeks until my next adventure….

Flog ON!

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2023, 09:51:35 AM »

John - my sentiments entirely a trip to Bandon from the UK is eye - watering expensive and exploring golf on our own shores is now my priority - however that is becoming expensive too

There is so much good and great golf in the UK, and a large amount of good-great affordable remote golf, that it is hard to see why one would travel from the UK to Bandon, other than for curiosity and consistency of high quality-unless money and time were no object.
Living on the US east coast, I procrastinated on Bandon for years, finding it easier to simply go the the Uk or Ireland. Yes prices of the Rota courses and well knowns have gotten steep, but there are still many bargains and reasonable prices to be had, and those are the places that still provide the most authentic, local and low key experiences anyway.

Once my daughter relocated to Seattle, I was able to convince my wife that Bandon was just around the corner ;) and have had great luck with winter weather in Bandon, playing in short sleeves on New Years Day one of the 2 years I've been.
I found the town of Bandon quite charming and highly affordable via air bnb  that time of year-I've never been real big on "on site" lodging at any resort, especially when travelling with non golfers. The non golfers also found enough to do in the greater Bandon area-which has spectacular scenery.

The golf at Bandon, which I knew would be great, did not disappoint, but still...... when sharing such a great spot simultaneously with 800 heavily logoed souls.....(to be fair, mostly golfy souls),
I just don't get (quite) the same thrill of discovery as I do when stuffing an honor box on a locally populated and often deserted course that feels like it's at the end of the earth such as Traigh, Durness, Reay or Llandrindod Wells, where I had no problem paying full freight for a 4 ball at 22.50 pounds each for a foursome choosing to play alternate shot with two beginners in tow.

Or perhaps I have the frugality of Scotsman.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 01:58:19 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2023, 12:13:02 PM »
There is so much good and great golf in the UK, and a large amount of good-great affordable remote golf, …
Nah, dreadful place best avoided. Awful weather, rental cars usually have 3 pedals and a stick to change gear while the driving is on the opposite side of the road, the roads are normally narrow and twisty and those that aren’t have frequent roundabouts, hotels usually lack power showers, clubhouses don’t have locker room attendants, halfway houses are a rarity, local golfers expect to be let-through by slower players, golf buggies (if any) don’t have beer coolers and as for the courses themselves, well many are just unkempt animal grazed fields criss-crossed by footpaths, non-golfers, dog walkers and the like.
:)
Atb

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2023, 05:03:20 PM »
Geez, TD...please go harder in a post of lame cliches about American tourists. 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2023, 07:19:14 PM »
I was fortunate to go in 2005, when I turned 40. Played the first three big courses. In 2015, when I turned 50, I played the first four big courses plus the first short course. In 2025, I'd like to return for another go, playing the five big courses, the three short courses (always missed the first one, on the practice range) and do some putting on the putting course. It's a special place, that I would never tire of. I've stayed off and on property, so not sure where in 2025. Stay tuned!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ian Andrew

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2023, 07:49:45 PM »
I spent a month travelling Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand this year for the same amount that John spent for few days at Bandon Dunes. Yikes.

There is lots of great UK golf (made up of lesser known courses) for a more reasonable cost. For example, I would highly recommend Wales if on a budget.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 08:19:37 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Jake McCarty

Re: Business @Bandon Is Booming! New
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2023, 10:12:12 PM »
I spent a month travelling Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand this year for the same amount that John spent for few days at Bandon Dunes. Yikes.

There is lots of great UK golf (made up of lesser known courses) for a more reasonable cost. For example, I would highly recommend Wales if on a budget.

We returned as a family to Bandon yet again this summer. Absolutely terrible experience. It felt like a frat party full of people who never hit a golf club (or the time slots we had) with 5-6 hour rounds, one time there were 4 groups on one tee box one time. Lotsa fun!

The kicker, though, was the drunk group of guys talking about my wife saying in suggestive ways.  It basically ruined the trip as if the ultra slow rounds weren't enough.

The bright side is that my wife is a good looking lady and other people think the same.

I'm no longer a Bandon fan. Rather go to Vegas where at least we can hide from the drunk bachelor parties.

We won't be back.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 09:18:52 PM by Jake McCarty »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2023, 04:30:52 AM »
I played Augusta twice and both times it rained. I won't be returning.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2023, 05:08:35 AM »
We returned as a family to Bandon yet again this summer. Absolutely terrible experience. It felt like a frat party full of people who never hit a golf club (or the time slots we had) with 5-6 hour rounds, one time there were 4 groups on one tee box one time. Lotsa fun!
The kicker, though, was the drunk group of guys talking about my wife saying "I'd want to hit that" wihere the guy next to him said "I would love to do her" around my son. It basically ruined the trip as if the ultra slow rounds weren't enough.
The bright side is that my wife is a good looking lady and other people think the same.
I'm no longer a Bandon fan. Rather go to Vegas where at least we can hide from the drunk bachelor parties.
We won't be back.
Saddened to hear this. Golf used to be a haven of decorum and respect, places of relative peace and tranquility, places to get away from the hurly-burly and other less enamouring aspects of life and society. Alas not the case these days and it’s spreading. Very sad.
Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2023, 09:12:04 AM »

Golf used to be a haven of decorum and respect, places of relative peace and tranquility, places to get away from the hurly-burly and other less enamouring aspects of life and society. Alas not the case these days and it’s spreading. Very sad.
Atb

When the leaders of the game insist on a "growth" at all costs, sometimes they get fungus.(not referring to Bandon-hopefully the above was an isolated incident?)

I had breakfast with a gentleman the other day who was glowingly remarking on the stories he had heard from my travel companions of remote courses and rustic travel experiences and people we had encountered on our recent northern Scotland trip, and asked me what my favorite place had been.
Before I could reply, and barely before he could finish his query, his guest immediately interrupted to regale us with tales of his recent trip to a new ultra high end modern course in Ireland mostly populated by uber wealthy Americans where they had travelled daily via chopper to various other similar venues scattered around the country.

Later, the gentleman apoligized for his guest's actions and story, and I remarked that on the contrary, the world needs such ---traps and their patrons, to quarantine them, and keep them off the roads and away from the truly genuine and simple places.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back