News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stewart Abramson

Btw.. no disrespect to an awesome architect but Pound Ridge is a Doak Scale 0.

IMO it depends on how one applies the scale. If a courses has a few "zero" holes, does that mean the course is doomed to be a zero? Pound Ridge has enough decent holes to be at least a 3 or maybe a 4, (which is a pretty low bar)  for being "modestly interesting with at least some scenic interest" despite a number of bad holes and some ugly bunkers. It is a tough parcel to hold 18 good holes.

Here are some photos: [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157631846160218[/size]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 05:21:26 PM by Stewart Abramson »

Kalen Braley

Given its definition, I think the DS 0 is the most tricky to apply:

• A course so contrived and unnatural that it may poison your mind, one I cannot recommend under any circumstances. Reserved for courses that waste ridiculous sums of money in their construction, and probably shouldn't have been built in the first place.
For example, if we're going to jump to a logical extreme, a solid argument could be made for Shadow Creek.  Its certainly contrived and not natural in respect to its local environment. And I know they spent an ungodly sum of money to create it..

But it sure looks beautiful from pics and TV coverage, and at least a few of the holes look like they would be a blast to play.  ;)

V. Kmetz

[size=78%]Reserved for courses that waste ridiculous sums of money in their construction, and probably shouldn't have been built in the first place.[/size]

No, that's exactly Pound Ridge...
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

MCirba

[size=78%]Reserved for courses that waste ridiculous sums of money in their construction, and probably shouldn't have been built in the first place.[/size]

No, that's exactly Pound Ridge...

Just not land fit for the purpose, much as they tried.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 07:35:52 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Keith Phillips

Back to Ferry Point:
1. Never played it but friends love it - in the scheme of NYC where private clubs are $25k per year a round at a quality CCFAD for ~$250 is reasonable.
2. Keep in mind - like Wollman Rink, Ferry Point doesn't happen without Trump - I'm not a supporter but as a suburban NYC guy I appreciate him funding both in the absence of other alternatives.

Tim Leahy

Back to Ferry Point:
1. Never played it but friends love it - in the scheme of NYC where private clubs are $25k per year a round at a quality CCFAD for ~$250 is reasonable.
2. Keep in mind - like Wollman Rink, Ferry Point doesn't happen without Trump - I'm not a supporter but as a suburban NYC guy I appreciate him funding both in the absence of other alternatives.
Oops! Judge today ordered dissolution of ALL Trump owned properties in the state of New York due to fraudulent business practices. Just how did he fund both those courses? :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Rob Marshall

Back to Ferry Point:
Oops! Judge today ordered dissolution of ALL Trump owned properties in the state of New York due to fraudulent business practices. Just how did he fund both those courses? :o

I heard Joe and Hunter loaned him the money  ;D
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Mike Wagner

Back to Ferry Point:

I heard Joe and Hunter loaned him the money  ;D

LOL

I mean if a NY judge ordered it, then it all MUST be true .. LOL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back