News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

OT- Wanna Buy A House in Pebble Beach?
« on: August 17, 2023, 08:38:33 PM »

This $29 Million California Estate Was One of the First Homes to Be Built in Pebble Beach Known as Bella Vista, the 8,200-square-foot ocean-view residence dates to 1927. 

Read more with pictures:
https://robbreport.com/shelter/homes-for-sale/pebble-beach-house-for-sale-bella-vista-1234881267/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 10:01:17 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David_Tepper

Tim Leahy

Re: OT- Wanna Buy A House in Pebble Beach?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 11:30:32 PM »
Good luck with the property taxes. Welcome to Cali! 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 12:10:47 PM »
If anyone is looking for "a room with a view," the house over looking the 2nd hole at Royal Dornoch is for sale:

https://royaldornoch.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/THE2NDGREEN2.pdf 

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2023, 01:38:34 PM »
If anyone is looking for "a room with a view," the house over looking the 2nd hole at Royal Dornoch is for sale:

https://royaldornoch.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/THE2NDGREEN2.pdf
What's the asking price?  I didn't see that in the doc.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2023, 02:00:19 PM »
Wayne -

I have heard "offers above" 700,000 pounds.

DT

Ken Moum

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 02:31:07 PM »
Wayne -

I have heard "offers above" 700,000 pounds.

DT

If it wasn't so darned far north it probably would be double that.

BTW,  we made it to Pitgrudy today,  cold and windy.  Settled in for a month.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

peter_mcknight

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 03:59:32 PM »
Assume a 0.0175 property tax rate, that's $507,500.00 per annum.  Here, there is a reason why Prop 13 exists that remains as valid as it did in 1978.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 04:36:22 PM »
Assume a 0.0175 property tax rate, that's $507,500.00 per annum.  Here, there is a reason why Prop 13 exists that remains as valid as it did in 1978.
Yes, it would be horrible if this 8000sqft home (plus a two bedroom guest house and carriage house) on two-and-a-half acres were too expensive for your average family to be able to afford! Imagine... the owners might need to redevelop the property to house more people to offset those costs. Any incremental growth like that would ruin the look and feel of the existing landowners... and for what? Just to potentially house (now former) area residents like Fried Egg Golf's Garrett Morrison, who was forced to move after he lost his subsidized teacher housing when because he took a job writing about golf?

Perish the thought! We need to preserve this innocent community from the Garrett Morrisons of the world, and stand strong as good stewards to the unique cultural billionaire aesthetic that Pebble Beach has spent decades creating.

Sarcasm aside, this is actually an archetype example of why Prop 13 is a completely self-serving, unsustainable law that is turning this state into a literal aristocracy of inherited property-tax exemptions. We're only one generation into this experiment, and we can already see entire towns that will effectively not be habitable by anyone except folks that inherit the properties.

It took me a minute, but I found the property. It's 1463 Oleada Road in Pebble Beach. Pretty swank, but definitely hiding the extensive blacktop on the other side of the property.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 06:01:42 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

peter_mcknight

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 05:34:57 PM »
BTW...without Prop 13, it would be an almighty struggle for me to afford where I currently reside because I would have been ensnared in bracket creep over the last 17 years.  And, I reside in a typical suburban tract home, nothing special.
I understand the previous sentiment.  However, we rely on the 1% more than any other state in the nation.  There are approximately 170,000 taxpayers who remit 51%+ of the PIT on an annual basis.  As a result of COVID, we lost 24,000 of them.  Property tax remains the only "breather" part of our tax structure and we're 10th worst in the nation on that front.
And, oh by the way, the worst aspect of the after effects of Prop 13's passage was AB 8 in 1979, followed by massive RDA abuse.  That bill ensured Irvine would forever be defined as a rural area, especially for school funding (e.g.).

I would argue we're unaffordable largely because we limited housing stock going on two to three generations here in California.  You can throw in abuse of CEQA as well.  The worst part of the state on these two fronts is between the Junipero Serra and Bayshore Freeways.
I hope I can sell and get out before ZPG really takes hold here (ZPG < 2.10 replacement; we're at 1.55...refer to the recent DOF population estimate report from May 2023).
At the end of the day, with a little leadership on the issue in 1977-78, Jerry Brown and Sacramento could have avoided Prop 13 and were told so.  This is the problem with direct democracy--only the voters can undo Prop 13 and show little appetite on doing so.  I doubt it would be a 30+ point win like it was in 1978, but I fervently believe it would still win by at least ten points because of who votes in California today.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2023, 05:56:02 PM »
I appreciate the entirely reasonable response. I'm sure we could have a long and productive conversation hashing out our concerns, and finding common ground, while also taking this topic way more off topic than I'd like to. I hope my sarcasm wasn't taken too harshly, it was meant to be a bit more playful than it feels like it comes off. The home is ludicrous, and I don't think using a pebble beach adjacent property is actually a productive way to look at the very real inequalities and challenges that our state faces going forward. I just think it's pretty nuts that the property at that price doesn't even appear to have a pool beyond the hottub (err "spa").
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2023, 07:14:23 PM »
There's a place for sale in Hamilton Hall for £2.3m - https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/the-pound23m-flat-up-for-sale-that-overlooks-18th-green-at-the-old-course
Also has a good view:

Rob Marshall

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2023, 07:45:08 PM »
I appreciate the entirely reasonable response. I'm sure we could have a long and productive conversation hashing out our concerns, and finding common ground, while also taking this topic way more off topic than I'd like to. I hope my sarcasm wasn't taken too harshly, it was meant to be a bit more playful than it feels like it comes off. The home is ludicrous, and I don't think using a pebble beach adjacent property is actually a productive way to look at the very real inequalities and challenges that our state faces going forward. I just think it's pretty nuts that the property at that price doesn't even appear to have a pool beyond the hottub (err "spa").

Why is the house ludicrous?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2023, 07:52:39 PM »
It’s scoofylicious. What constitutes “extensive blacktop”?

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2023, 08:26:30 PM »

The “basketball court” is just a really large, parking area, blacktop. It’s not bad, but if I had that kind of cash, I’d probably want it redone.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2023, 08:32:35 PM »

The “basketball court” is just a really large, parking area, blacktop. It’s not bad, but if I had that kind of cash, I’d probably want it redone.

Thanks, isn’t it sealed a nice color? I’m in the “blacktop” business. Love the old school term. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2023, 08:51:42 PM »
That’s just chalk on the driveway. I wouldn’t change a thing. I love the charm of a makeshift goal at a home of that stature. It shows someone comfortable with who they are.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2023, 01:37:47 AM »
BTW...without Prop 13, it would be an almighty struggle for me to afford where I currently reside because I would have been ensnared in bracket creep over the last 17 years.  And, I reside in a typical suburban tract home, nothing special.
I understand the previous sentiment.  However, we rely on the 1% more than any other state in the nation.  There are approximately 170,000 taxpayers who remit 51%+ of the PIT on an annual basis.  As a result of COVID, we lost 24,000 of them.  Property tax remains the only "breather" part of our tax structure and we're 10th worst in the nation on that front.
And, oh by the way, the worst aspect of the after effects of Prop 13's passage was AB 8 in 1979, followed by massive RDA abuse.  That bill ensured Irvine would forever be defined as a rural area, especially for school funding (e.g.).

I would argue we're unaffordable largely because we limited housing stock going on two to three generations here in California.  You can throw in abuse of CEQA as well.  The worst part of the state on these two fronts is between the Junipero Serra and Bayshore Freeways.
I hope I can sell and get out before ZPG really takes hold here (ZPG < 2.10 replacement; we're at 1.55...refer to the recent DOF population estimate report from May 2023).
At the end of the day, with a little leadership on the issue in 1977-78, Jerry Brown and Sacramento could have avoided Prop 13 and were told so.  This is the problem with direct democracy--only the voters can undo Prop 13 and show little appetite on doing so.  I doubt it would be a 30+ point win like it was in 1978, but I fervently believe it would still win by at least ten points because of who votes in California today.
Come on this isn't a real estate forum.  Using acronyms/laws with this frequency for OT posts causes most to not read them.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

corey miller

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2023, 09:57:32 AM »

Interesting. 

It almost sounds like Prop 13 harms first time home-buyers and newcomers to the country. 

Keith Phillips

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2023, 10:08:14 AM »
Peter, I'm not sure 'COVID' drove those 24,000 people away.  I'd chalk it up to your Governor's 'reaction to COVID' on top of already oppressive costs of living in California.  Texas and Florida has COVID too...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2023, 10:55:30 AM »
I’m sorry that America lost a teacher and gained a golf writer. A testament to our failed society.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2023, 03:44:59 PM »
Peter, I'm not sure 'COVID' drove those 24,000 people away.  I'd chalk it up to your Governor's 'reaction to COVID' on top of already oppressive costs of living in California.  Texas and Florida has COVID too...

Bingo, that’s why people are fleeing NYS also. Californian’s are showing up in Florida in droves. All over Naples.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Daryl David

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2023, 09:12:39 PM »
I’m sorry that America lost a teacher and gained a golf writer. A testament to our failed society.

Nail on head.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2023, 09:18:03 PM »
It's a great house, with a great view in an unspoiled area. It's both a trophy and a treasure, bravo to someone who has worked hard and smart and made the type of money to afford and enjoy it.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Daryl David

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2023, 09:25:32 PM »
It's a great house, with a great view in an unspoiled area. It's both a trophy and a treasure, bravo to someone who has worked hard and smart and made the type of money to afford and enjoy it.

Also, nail on head.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back