News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Moved from Philly to Pitt last year and ended up 15 min from this municipal course.  Everyone I talked to said to go elsewhere to play but I have a soft spot in my heart for municipal courses (see Cobb’s Creek thread).  When I played it, I was blown away.  FYI - no frills clubhouse, just implemented online tee times this year, no range.  Site of the 1934 USGA Publinks and located in a public park with over 1000 acres.  The course is in spectacular shape due to the Asst superintendent from Oakmont, Steve Turner, moving over a few years ago to take the top job at South Park.  6655 from the tips, 72.1/125.  The Par 5’s in particular are very good.

The best part is I walked 18 on a Sat afternoon for $20.  If there is a better $20 course less than 15 miles from a major city, I haven’t come across it in my 30 years of traveling/playing.  If you are in the area, make a point to see South Park.

Standout holes:
3rd - Par 5, 512, roller coaster fairway
8th (2 greens) - Par 3, 150/213 both are tough
10th - Par 5, 491, dogleg left
11th - Par 4, 423
12th (2 greens) - Par 4, 337/354
17th - Par 5, 501, serpentine fairway

As an aside, I get much more enjoyment now finding a hidden gem for $20, than I do knocking off a Top 100 course.  Anyone else share that same feeling?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 06:47:02 AM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Jeff Evagues

Re: South Park GC (Suburban Pittsburgh, PA)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2023, 07:55:55 PM »
I haven't lived in the area for years but basically learned how to play at South Park in the late '70s. My favorite was the par 3 8th with the 2 separate greens, one 50 yards up the hill from the first. Also a 9 hole course across the street.
Be the ball

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 08:06:31 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.  I haven't played the nine hole course yet but even that looks fun for the princely sum of $13!  There are some really good holes that you can see from the road driving in.  If you are ever heading back to the area, send me a DM.  I'd love to meet up and host you back here!

By the way, I'm not sure I've ever seen two greens on a par 3 that different in terms of yardage and elevation...

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 08:10:41 PM »
Luv South Park!

I played it with Mike Cirba in July of 2020. Fantastic terrain.

Hole by hole tour here:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/SouthPark/index.html

Now where we stayed the night before was special . . .
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 08:17:48 PM »
Joe - I knew you would come through with some photos!  I believe the course opened in 1930, any idea on the architect?  Couldn't find much online.

I encourage everyone to flip through Joe's album... it definitely captures the spirit of the course and you can get a sense of the conditioning which has only improved since 2020.  I noticed a few trees that have been taken down as well.  Keep in mind you are less than 10 miles from downtown Pittsburgh and you can walk it anytime on the weekend for $20.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 08:24:27 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 08:32:30 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Chris_Blakely

Re: South Park GC (1930, Architect TBD), Suburban Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 10:18:16 PM »
South Lark was designed by Emil Loeffler, see previous thread.  Having played most of his public courses in the area, the greens had a similar look / feel to other courses of his that I played.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65862.msg1572519.html#msg1572519

Chris

Geoffrey_Walsh

Re: South Park GC (1930, Emil Loeffler), Suburban Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 11:15:14 PM »
Thanks, Chris!  Updated the header.  Did anyone ever overlay the original routing on the current course?

Jeff Tang

Re: South Park GC (1930, Emil Loeffler), Suburban Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 05:38:10 PM »
I lived in Pittsburgh for a few years and kick myself I never made it to South Park. I lived in the North Hills and played North Park a ton, which I always found enjoyable.
So bad it's good!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back