News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

2023 US Amateur at Cherry Hills/Colorado Golf Club
« on: August 11, 2023, 09:52:13 AM »
The US Amateur returns to Cherry Hills in Denver next week. The companion course for stroke play qualifying is Colorado Golf Club. It's always interesting to see how these courses at mile high altitude hold up against the young guns. Here's a video flyover of Cherry Hills narrated by Peyton Manning. It's pretty good, with some history thrown in. if you click on the icon below the video should show up.

https://vimeo.com/839158060

https://vimeo.com/839158060
I'm caddying in the tournament for Sampson Zheng, a Cal Berkeley senior who with a Cal teammate won the USGA Four Ball in May. I'll give some updates as we go. From what I have heard, the rough at Cherry Hills is pretty penal right now.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 10:09:48 AM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tom_Doak

Re: 2023 US Amateur at Cherry Hills/Colorado Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 01:18:08 PM »
It's been really wet out there this summer, hasn't it?  One would expect the rough to be up in that case.

Ben Sims

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 01:25:44 PM »
It's been really wet out there this summer, hasn't it?  One would expect the rough to be up in that case.

Biblically.

The courses on the front range are already at a tremendous climactic advantage for growing bluegrass in summer. The very wet and mild summer has made it even easier. The Blue Course at USAFA was in horrid shape in early May, and by the US Junior Girls a couple weeks ago, it was as good as I’ve seen in 20 years. Same for CommonGround a few weeks back. I’m sure Cherry is looking similar.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 01:33:40 PM by Ben Sims »

Peter Flory

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 01:39:24 PM »
I just walked all 18 in order yesterday.  I'd never been to CH before, so I don't really know what the typical conditions are, but it seemed very lush to me.  It's not soggy, but it felt sort of like the conditions at Olympia Fields, which I'm very familiar with. 

The rough is just thick and juicy.  It's not crazy, but I could see it being very grabby and difficult to hit out of from > 150 yards unless you get a perched one.  The fairways are a little soft, but the areas in front of the greens and the greens themselves are firm.  So, it's possible that the fairways will make the course play a bit longer, but the greens will still provide a defense and will be difficult to hold.  There are a lot of holes that turn where I think that the players will need to shape the ball off the tee, otherwise they'll hit through.  If I had to pick a skill that I think would be at a premium for the course, it would be total driving.  Not bombing it, but hitting it fairly long with precision.  It reminds me of Winged Foot in that regard. 

All in all, I honestly don't think that I would break 80 right now if I were in the Am (as a tournament scratch).  It would be really hard to avoid making doubles.  #9 looks very difficult, as does #16, #17, and #18.  I'd feel a lot more comfortable playing match play there than stroke play because of the big number potential. 

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 04:14:26 PM »
Jim Colton’s son qualified! That is simply amazing, I’m dumbstruck.

And I’d guess that if Doug can carry my 200 pounds around Black Mesa, he won’t have any issues carrying an am’s bag…🙂
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Rose

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023, 11:10:37 PM »
Jim Colton’s son qualified! That is simply amazing, I’m dumbstruck.

Luke? Oh my goodness.

I played with him and his dad at Ballyneal when he was only 11. And I'm pretty sure he beat me, lol.

Amazing. I had a feeling there was something there.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

DFarron

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 05:48:32 AM »
Sampson is a very good player, he works out at my former club in California

Doug Wright

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 11:49:15 AM »
We had a practice round at Colorado Golf Club yesterday. I've not been a big fan of Colorado Golf Club in part because it's too damn hard for me as a player, but I have an even greater appreciation of the course this time around than I did when I looped for a player in the US Mid Am there a few years ago. The strategic elements, use of the landforms and variety of golf holes are really solid. Having said that, the split fairway par 5 16th is an abomination and should be blown up or dramatically revised. The right side fairway is just too tight for regular medal play (theoretically worth a gamble in match play I suppose), and the green and greensite are laughably severe. I also think the par 3 11th green is pretty over the top (three severe  tiers and very much out of character with the rest of the course). CGC's fairways are really wide, and the course should afford an opportunity for these talented players to score well with some course management.

We stopped back at Cherry Hills post-round to practice, and showing up next to us on the range was this left-handed kid and his "entourage". I didn't know Luke Colton was in the tournament, and it was great to meet Luke and up and catch up with Jim. He only hits it 300 yards per Trackman, at age 16. Yes it's at altitude, but anyway. The small world that is GolfClubAtlas.

Looking forward to Cherry Hills today...we're off #10 at CHCC at 1:15 if any of you GCAers are there stop by and say hello.   

Peter Flory

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 06:25:31 PM »

So far, Cherry Hills has been the tougher course relative (absolute and relative to par):
CGC: Ave score so far = 74.6 (+2.6)
CHCC: Ave score so far = 75.3 (+4.3)

It skews the leader board a bit, but will obviously even out after tomorrow. 

I believe that the course rating for CGC is almost 2 shots higher than Cherry Hills as well, unless Cherry has a special rating from as far back as they are stretching it this week. 

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2023, 05:57:11 PM »
Watching this semifinal match, how is Butler not getting a slow play penalty on every hole?
Be the ball

Matthew Rose

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2023, 11:49:38 PM »
Have they abandoned the back tee on #8? I thought they could play that from 290 if they wanted.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Doug Wright

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2023, 09:07:43 PM »
Back to normal after a busy week at Cherry Hills. My player Sampson Zheng finished T1 in stroke play (-7, with a 66 at Colorado Golf Club and 70 at Cherry Hills). Defeated WAGR #19 and Walker Cupper Preston Summerhayes in the Round of 64 before bowing out to a good young Mexican player Jose Islas in the Round of 32.[size=78%] [/size]
I’ve not been a huge fan of Cherry Hills, thinking its reputation exceeded the course’s qualities,  but a few more trips around the course inside the ropes last week gave me a greater appreciation. The strength of the course is its greens, which range from very subtle (e.g. #2, #17) to much less so (severe slopes on #5, #10, #11 and #18). There’s a solid variety of short and longer and uphill and downhill holes, and each of the finishing five holes from #14-#18 is challenging in different ways. The rough was thick and nasty, and misses particularly around the greens were punished quite severely. The greens were pretty firm and required a lot of care to avoid misses long, which generally were no bueno. I thought the USGA set up was very good. Several fairways were much wider than I expected, and necessary given the challenge presented by the rough and the severe slopes of several fairways. Holes I liked: #3, a drivable par 4 with a turtle-back green that presented a big range of options that saw players taking those options to their benefit and detriment; #4, a 90 degree dogleg that required distance control off the tee and thought vs the pin positions but also allowed for risk-taking drivers (as Shipley did to his detriment on the 22nd hole). The 500+ yard 14th is just an all world par 4 in my opinion, requiring a big drive and a precise mid iron to s sloping green with a penalty area lurking. Holes I dislike:  The par 3 #15, playing at 240-250 yards, was simply silly even for these accomplished players. The green isn’t large enough from the angle of that tee and is surrounded by bunkers and a creek that make it marginally playable—we laid up short during our rounds to avoid big numbers; I think it played second hardest behind #18 for the week. The alternate much shorter tee used later in the week for match play on #15 was much better. I also thought the par 4 #7 was a weak hole, mid iron and wedge to a flattish green. One instance where I think the USGA made the fairway too wide for the competition.[size=78%] [/size]
The tournament produced a worthy winner in Dunlap and a worthy final too as Shipley was strong and gutsy until the final 9 holes. There was plenty of match play drama throughout, especially as matches reached the great finishing hole that is #18, and Cherry Hills held up well against the talented crop of young amateurs.[size=78%] [/size]
 The link below has a good description of the course, including Flynn drawings and commentary by Eric Iverson.[size=78%] [/size]
Scorecard - Cherry Hills Country Club (chcc.com)[size=78%] [/size]
PS I ran into Jim Urbina at CHCC and we had a good discussion about the course architecture and other things, like his current work at Pasatiempo.

Doug Wright

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2023, 09:13:30 PM »
Watching this semifinal match, how is Butler not getting a slow play penalty on every hole?

Slow play by Butler wasn't nearly as bad as what our group endured in the stroke play. One of our players' ridiculously glacial pace of play nearly cost Sampson Zheng the low qualifier medal as the USGA threatened our group with stroke penalties.

Doug Wright

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2023, 09:17:16 PM »
Have they abandoned the back tee on #8? I thought they could play that from 290 if they wanted.

Yes the hole has been redone again and it maxes at around 230. Pretty solid par 3 from there thanks to the sloping green and creek greenside right.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back