News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: OT - Do handicaps travel fairly?
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2023, 05:22:46 PM »
One thing that has kind of been alluded to in this thread is that there does appear to be a home course advantage.  So should there be an adjustment for a home round vs an away round?  Or kind of home or away adjustment analogous to the tournament adjustment?  Or is the answer "suck it up, buttercap and play more away rounds".

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2023, 05:25:45 PM »
I'm suggesting that, for instance,  a 15 index player from a low slope course is a much less skilled player than a 15 index player from a high slope course.
This could be tested very easily, could it not?  Create cohorts of 15 index players from high slope and low slope courses.  Then track their scores at other courses and see if they play to their handicaps.

Ken Moum

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2023, 05:28:58 PM »
Wayne, I'm more than okay with a home-course advantage.

And I agree that players who never travel get their just desserts.

As long as the system does what it purports to do.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ken Moum

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2023, 05:31:14 PM »
I'm suggesting that, for instance,  a 15 index player from a low slope course is a much less skilled player than a 15 index player from a high slope course.
This could be tested very easily, could it not?  Create cohorts of 15 index players from high slope and low slope courses.  Then track their scores at other courses and see if they play to their handicaps.

Of course it could. The people who have the data just need to see a problem,  which h they appear not to.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2023, 05:56:26 PM »

First of all, neither group will play to their handicaps but once every 4 or 5 rounds, regardless of the slope.  If they did, that wouldn’t be their index anymore.  One round is a very small part of the picture.

Secondly, to have a meaningful test, players would have to play at least 20 rounds at each course with very different slopes, and that’s putting aside questions of weather and course conditions.  While I’m sure there are guys out there who play 20 rounds per year at one away course, I don’t think I know any; I certainly don’t, and I play a TON of rounds per year.  How exactly would you get a cohort of guys at a low slope course to play 20 rounds at a high slope course, and vice versa? 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2023, 05:57:38 PM »

Of course it could. The people who have the data just need to see a problem,  which h they appear not to.

You assume there is a problem.  I don’t believe that is the case at all.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2023, 06:07:13 PM »
Perhaps they know that no matter the system there will be cheaters, whiners and losers. The winners don’t care either way. That’s why they speak in cartoon talk.

Sean_A

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2023, 06:11:44 PM »

You assume there is a problem.  I don’t believe that is the case at all.

You have already stated that guys who play it down and by the rules have an advantage because their handicap is accurate. Once we allow less than comp scores to be used, the accuracy goes down. I see this as a problem. Sure, its easily written off by the powers that be because they are more interested in a numbers game than properly accurate handicaps. Its a trade off to appease the Americans. A secondary problem is that the system isn't applied the same way in all countries. It isn't a true world wide system...which was a main excuse to overhaul the UK system.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2023, 06:21:12 PM »
The greatest challenge to any amateur golfer is to accept defeat without believing he was cheated. The Trump syndrome.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back