News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Doonbeg
« on: June 29, 2023, 07:27:29 AM »
So finally getting to Ireland for my 50th next summer. Staying a few days in Lahinch on the west coast but unfortunately Lahinch has a tournament those days.  Is Doonbeg a good second option?  I don't want to travel more than an hour outside hotel.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Doonbeg
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 07:56:11 AM »
Yes Doonbeg is the best second option within an hour of Lahinch. If you also have time during your few days, take a few clubs out to Liscannor pitch ‘n’ putt.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 09:54:43 AM »
I've always been a bit curious about the little 9-holer at Spanish Point, since we drove by in the 1980s on our way to Lahinch GC. I think it could be worth an evening round after hitting Lahinch/Doonbeg. It looks to have a few nice holes.

Here's a an aerial video tour of the course:
Spanish Point Golf Club - YouTube

Jim Hoak

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 11:13:48 AM »
Does Doonbeg still have some crisscrossing holes?  A pretty bad routing feature, unless there is absolutely no other option.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 04:51:55 PM »
Does Doonbeg still have some crisscrossing holes?  A pretty bad routing feature, unless there is absolutely no other option.
The routing was changed a few years ago to eliminate the criss-crossing holes.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 05:34:28 PM »
Didn't they also have a hole that got washed away - a short par 3?  They added a new hole to replace it, I believe.

John Handley

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 11:36:33 PM »
Yes Doonbeg is a good option.  It's an even better place to stay.  First class all the way. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 09:37:21 PM by John Handley »
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 09:42:17 AM »

I love them.  When done correctly, it can save an awkward transition on the green-to-tee walk, and it keeps you from presenting one of the holes from a less than ideal angle.

Nobody ever mentions the one at Tara Iti in a negative light . . . hardly anyone even remembers it has one.

We are going to have one at Cabot Highlands . . . or, if we are lucky, maybe a second also!

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 11:21:53 AM »

Why is that a bad routing feature?
It can add a lot of interest and save a lot of time and space.
Sure it can be a problem at some crowded venues, particularly for the oblivious, but is a feature that should be used more IMHO-esp from newer back tees that many feel they need but few play.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Hoak

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 12:46:50 PM »
Not to get this discussion off Doonbeg and onto the subject of criss-crossing holes, but I can think of many reasons why I personally consider them a bad design feature, unless there is no alternative--safety, confusion as groups cross, general sloppiness in the play of the course, confusion as to the next tee, confusion as to the line of play, etc.  This is just my opinion, but I always consider it to be a sign that the designer had no alternative than to take this course.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2023, 01:55:04 PM »
I think I remember reading here that Lahinch has criss-crossing holes and I never noticed it on my one round there.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jeff Schley

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2023, 08:35:16 PM »
I really like Doonbeg.  The first hole is really good.  I'm curious is that was manufactured with the hole set in a dine surround?  If so I'm all for it. :)

When you get to the far corner of the property you are a long way from the clubhouse you of u can see across the water in the distance.  Nice vista as well.  Windy as all heck, which is expected in that location.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back