News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Your greatest pleasure in golf
« on: June 22, 2023, 02:21:10 PM »
My greatest pleasure in golf is getting up and down from impossible places.
Years ago, it was hitting the drive far, but I haven't hit one far in two decades.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Jones

Re: Your greatest pleasure in golf
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 03:48:45 PM »
Ice cold beer after my round.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Handley

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 04:01:50 PM »
Playing with my friends. And making birdies. :)
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

JLahrman

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 04:21:04 PM »
Playing 18 holes without losing a ball. It's a nice feeling.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 04:37:22 PM »
Hitting a good shot.

I still remember a shot that I hit 18 years ago, for example. The wind didn't move it as much as I wanted so I didn't even hit the green (I had a 20-footer for birdie through about three feet of fairway/fringe), but the shot was perhaps the best struck shot I'd ever hit (at the time), and hit the exact window that I had pictured, and was just exactly as planned.

It's tremendously satisfying. Even if it's to the safe side of the fairway or green, Tom.  ;)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 05:05:38 PM »
Hitting a difficult shot exactly as I intended. My most memorable example was on the 17th hole on Ballybunion’s Cashen course. I had 215 yards and a pretty good left to right wind. Aimed about 15 yards left of the green and landed in the middle.
Tim Weiman

Ken Moum

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 07:50:32 PM »
Since I've never been a good ballstriker, but Avery good chipper and pitcher,  those up-and-downs are my happy place.

Now, at 75, they're my only chance.

I broke my left radius by my thumb three weeks ago and have been playing one-handed.  Just yesterday I I got up and down for par by hitting a so so pitch, then chipping in.

Nobody else in my foursome parred it.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

MKrohn

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 11:34:26 PM »
Probably not the "greatest" because it would be a bit odd however I love the bag pack and anticipation ahead of a big trip. Clubs shining, balls marked, minimising for carry weight, everything in the right place. Let's go.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 06:13:16 AM »
Hitting a great drive from an elevated teebox and watching it sail down the fairway.
Also holing out from a bunker for a birdie. ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 06:26:31 AM »
Playing the first 12 or 13 holes well and knowing I have a chance at a good score (for me) and feeling the pressure yet having the calmer feeling I have when playing well.  Now the question is which feeling will win out and how will I perform can I stay present and grind out a good round.

I must also say I do not consider myself a guy overly driven by what the scorecard reads but the best scores of the season or career are a big driver for me.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 06:34:31 AM »
 ;D

Finishing off a stoke play round under pressure and holding up!  Whether it be winning your club championship , shooting a personal best or just breaking 100,90,80 or 70 it is so gratifying to break thru. The hardest game to "hold it together" .

Philip Gordillo

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 07:03:38 AM »
Great question.  I think about this all of the time.  Can't decide on one so here are three:

- Playing golf after work during the summer - usually 5 holes and solo - sometimes with hickories.

- Golf travel anywhere.

- Meeting another fellow golf sicko.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 08:28:01 AM »
On the course: playing a well judged bump and run. The more contour to navigate, the better.

Off the course: sipping a drink after the round from a good vantage point overlooking the course. If it is sunset, all the better.

Ira

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2023, 09:34:00 AM »
Easy one for me.

Using my Ping Wack-E putter from ANY situation within 100 yards of the green.
New playing partners think I'm insane till they see the result. I enjoy the incredulity...and jealousy.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2023, 09:34:53 AM »
Good fitting shoes
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2023, 11:14:26 AM »
   Not making a double bogey in a round.

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2023, 11:39:49 AM »
While it is more a minor pleasure, I like the feel of the "thump" when using the bounce of my sand wedge on a well hit bunker shot.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2023, 11:57:27 AM »
There are rare moments in golf for me that are sublime and transcendent. They don’t necessarily have anything to do with golf shots. They are more dependent on place and circumstances. They have occurred when I’m alone, with great friends and with strangers. They seem to occur the first time I experience a place and I’m completely in the moment knowing it is one that I’ll remember forever.  A few examples:
  • Playing alone, reaching the high ground that is the 4th teeing area at Ballyneal for the first time and soaking in the vastness beyond;
  • Hitting my first tee shot ever in Scotland (at Glasgow Gailes) with three members who I had just met, but who made me feel like we were old friends;
  • Loud cheers from 30+ anonymous society members all in crimson sweaters, standing between the R&A club house and 18th green as I sunk a miraculous long putt from off the front left  of the 18th green to end my first ever round at TOC.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2023, 10:13:14 PM »
Carrying your playing partner in a match when it is all up to you.  We aren’t pros, so competition and coming through when you need to is a great feeling.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Greg Hohman

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2023, 10:18:07 AM »
Nice thread (same goes for current Worst Routing :D ). The variety already! Soccer (competitive participant until my early 20s and follower of the game to this day) and skiing (recreational) are my other favorites; and, no disrespect toward them intended, I am hard-pressed to list a comparable variety of pleasures.
newmonumentsgc.com

Jim Hoak

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2023, 11:40:46 AM »
Hitting greens in regulation.  Resulting birdie putt.
We all need to play shorter tees so we have more birdie putts--or we are short-changing ourselves.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2023, 12:00:49 PM »
Sticking an approach shot in tight. 

This is certainly relative to boot, hitting a 4 iron to 10-15 feet is just as thrilling if not more than hitting a wedge to 3...

As this is a fairly rare occurrence for me these days, I enjoy them that much more.

David Cronan

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2023, 12:18:36 PM »
I've 3:

Walking off the 18th hole after spending 4 (hopefully not more) hours with friends.

Walking off the 18th hole after meeting 2-3 new people, getting to know them better and making new friends.

Playing alone at dusk, ear buds in and listening to either WWOZ or WWNO/Jazz. Outside of scuba diving, not sure there's a more peaceful/serene place in the world for me.

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2023, 03:15:08 PM »
"Greatest pleasure"?
I do have fond memories of a bit of "night putting"  ;) :o [size=78%]at my local club growing up...[/size]

More recently, warming up with a Guiness overlooking the first tee of most any links course, in anticipation of a great day.
Northwest, Dunfanaghy, Cruit or Portsalon come to mind
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2023, 03:39:27 PM »
My greatest joy comes in the anticipation of pleasure.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back