News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Making a maiden golfing voyage to Scotland later this year. Some questions that some of you with more experience might have thoughts on:
  • Taking a train from Edinburgh to St Andrews seems pretty easy. Anything special to know or think about there?
  • Is it realistic to think that a single can find his way onto the New or Eden course if he shows up to the starter's hut on a Saturday in the summer with nothing better to do than wait to play some golf?
  • Is it realistic to think that a single can find his way out onto Elie on a summer Sunday afternoon (after 3)? I won't be able to score a tee time there. If Elie isn't realistic, what about Lundin, Crail or Leven?
  • Where would you eat if you were having lunch between rounds at Brora and Dornoch?
  • Any critical Scottish driving or solo traveling advice?
  • Is there anything one should know before heading to Prestwick by train?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tony_Muldoon

Have lunch in the Brora clubhouse,.
Try not to dribble some as you laugh at the attempts to get on the 18th green in 2....3....4.....5....6......
One of the finest views in golf.
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Reader

You should have no problem getting a game as a single on the New or Eden, particularly early in the morning.  Check the “busy dates” section on the Links website though; it’ll be more difficult on a Saturday if one of the clubs has a competition on, but there’s very unlikely to be one on both the New and Eden on the same day.

Marty Bonnar

Remember the train only gets you to Leuchars - 5 miles from St A. You'll need to bus or taxi from there.
The Eden starter is over past the driving range. The New Starter is at the Links Clubhouse.
Don't miss the Himalayas!
Have a wee Balvenie in the Dunvegan for Uncle Bill.
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Mayhugh

Jason,
I've not taken a solo trip, but have had solo rounds as part of Buda or other trips. Being a single isn't great for advance booking but I think unless there are competitions on, you have a good chance to play where you want.

Assume you're planning a walk around the Old Course on Sunday?

In my experience, Elie in the late afternoon is one of the finest places in the world. I think you have a great chance of being accommodated. Very friendly place. You might also try to stop by Anstruther for an entertaining 9.

Tony's advice on lunch at Brora is good - the view is nice. Being by yourself, you might also skip sitting down for lunch and squeeze in Golspie. If you can make it work, you'll be glad you did.

David_Tepper

Jason -

There are 2 options for lunch in "downtown" Golspie, driving from Brora to Dornoch.

The Coffee Bothy is behind the main parking lot in the center of town, on the right side of the road as your drive south. Good soups, sandwiches, salads, baked goods, etc.

The Trawler is the place to go for fish & chips. You can dine in or takeaway. It is on the left side of the road.

The Links Clubhouse in St. Andrews services both the New & Jubilee courses. The Jubilee is certainly worth playing as well.

DT

p.s. What dates will you be in the Highlands?

Michael Moore

Try not to dribble some as you laugh at the attempts to get on the 18th green in 2....3....4.....5....6......

This is the correct answer. Last year I sat with a friend and had a very nice and hot lunch while observing a foursome fumble around chunking and skulling on the eighteenth hole, which to be fair is one of the worst holes I have ever played. As the group walked towards the clubhouse I was like, oh man, those are the guys I'm traveling with who I ditched for Royal Dornoch. There was a bit of a scene when I told them that they had been our lunchtime entertainment.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

JohnVDB

As Marty said, the train only gets you to Leuchars, but the bus is usually there waiting for the train to take you into downtown SA.

Agree that the Brora Clubhouse is a good place for lunch.  Regarding Golspie, the Coffee Bothy is good. Turn inland at the one traffic light in town and it is just down the road about 100 yards.  I’m not sure the Trawler does lunch, but it is good so if it’s open go for it..

The clubhouse at Dornoch is good for lunch, overlooking the first tee with views all the way to 16.: for something a little nicer, the Royal Golf Hotel right next door is good.  You can also walk into town to Luigi’s or Milk and Honey for lunch, but they aren’t open every day.

[/size][size=78%]Another choice is the Highland Larder.  When you are on the 16th green look behind the green and you’ll see it down the hill. A limited choice of two or three sandwiches or wraps, fries and drinks.  Food is very good and if it is a nice day you can go sit by the beach to eat it.[/size]

Ken Moum

Jason, I'll echo Tepper's question. When are you going to be in Scotland?

My wife and I are getting to Fife the beginning of August and will be in Dornoch and Golspie for about six weeks ending Sept 28.

Might be easier to get a tee time for a three-ball.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 10:06:16 PM by Ken Moum »
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tony_Muldoon

the eighteenth hole, which to be fair is one of the worst holes I have ever played.

Disagree.  It's a very fine 180 yard par 4. Dornoch's 2nd offers the same challenge, shifted 90 degrees. The eighteenth is a great time for such a test, the second not so much.
In a two club following wind watching the club championship come in, about 2 in 12 tee  shots held the green. The pin was front left. I would suggest for those who missed, the next shot is more a test of character than short game skill.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 04:08:30 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

the eighteenth hole, which to be fair is one of the worst holes I have ever played.

Disagree.  It's a very fine 180 yard par 4. Dornoch's 2nd offers the same challenge, shifted 90 degrees. The eighteenth is a great time for such a test, the second not so much.
In a two club following wind watching the club championship come in, about 2 in 12 tee  shots held the green. The pin was front left. I would suggest for those who missed, the next shot is more a test of character than short game skill.
I am compelled to agree with the (now exposed) bandit.  18 at Brora is a perfectly good hole.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

18 at Brora is alright but not as good as the second at Dornoch despite what I might have said in the past.

Niall

jeffwarne

This is the correct answer. Last year I sat with a friend and had a very nice and hot lunch while observing a foursome fumble around chunking and skulling on the eighteenth hole, which to be fair is one of the worst holes I have ever played. As the group walked towards the clubhouse I was like, oh man, those are the guys I'm traveling with who I ditched for Royal Dornoch. There was a bit of a scene when I told them that they had been our lunchtime entertainment.

LOL.
We walked off 18 after an early morning at Brora, with a 2:12 tee time awaiting us at Royal Dornoch, which we had played two days before.
After a quick lunch, we walked right back to the first tee at Brora.
Have never once regretted that decision.
I still can't believe it has been 17 years since I've been back.....

« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 08:20:33 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Michael Moore

I watched the 18th at Brora for an hour and a quarter. Almost everyone’s ball ended up in the exact same place short left. No bueno.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Ian Mackenzie

Jason -

This is a tip from when I played RDGC with David Tepper 4 weeks ago.

The Highland Larder was real treat. It is a 2 minute walk from first tee at RDGC just below the 16th green near the beach.
Pop-up food truck but semi-permanent location.

Incredible cod wrap.

https://www.instagram.com/thehighlandlarder/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.visitdornoch.com/eat-and-drink-in-dornoch/location/the-highland-larder/

Also, as a single, it is relatively easy to get on RDGC after 6 pm considering sunset is close to 11:00 PM.

Joe_Tucholski

Also, as a single, it is relatively easy to get on RDGC after 6 pm considering sunset is close to 11:00 PM.

I played my last round there after 7 pm as a single. Favorite round of the trip, maybe even my life.

David_Tepper

"Also, as a single, it is relatively easy to get on RDGC after 6 pm considering sunset is close to 11:00 PM."

Be aware the hours of daylight (sunrise/sunset) in the Highlands start to contract quite rapidly as the end of summer approaches. Sunset drops below 8:00pm by the 2nd week of September.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/inverness?month=9

Teeing off after 6pm in the Highlands and finishing your round (assuming it takes 3+ hours) works during a 6-8 week window, from  mid/late May to late July.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 04:25:27 PM by David_Tepper »

Walker Thomas

Making a maiden golfing voyage to Scotland later this year. Some questions that some of you with more experience might have thoughts on:
  • Taking a train from Edinburgh to St Andrews seems pretty easy. Anything special to know or think about there?
  • Is it realistic to think that a single can find his way onto the New or Eden course if he shows up to the starter's hut on a Saturday in the summer with nothing better to do than wait to play some golf?
  • Is it realistic to think that a single can find his way out onto Elie on a summer Sunday afternoon (after 3)? I won't be able to score a tee time there. If Elie isn't realistic, what about Lundin, Crail or Leven?
  • Where would you eat if you were having lunch between rounds at Brora and Dornoch?
  • Any critical Scottish driving or solo traveling advice?
  • Is there anything one should know before heading to Prestwick by train?
The last ten minutes of the train ride to the Prestwick stop is heaven for a golfer

Steve Wilson

Jason,

If you are going to be in or near the Highlands between July 12 and September 8. I'd be happy to host you at one of Scotland's hidden gems. Golspie.  It's between Dornoch and Brora and I guarantee the fun.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Niall C

Jason,

If you are going to be in or near the Highlands between July 12 and September 8. I'd be happy to host you at one of Scotland's hidden gems. Golspie.  It's between Dornoch and Brora and I guarantee the fun.

Steve

When they are charging a £90 greenfee it can hardly still be called a hidden gem  ;)

Niall

Mark Pearce

Jason,

Steve

When they are charging a £90 greenfee it can hardly still be called a hidden gem  ;)

Niall
Surely the cut off now is three figures.  I'm waiting to be charged £100 to play Kinghorn.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ken Moum

Jason,

Steve

Niall

Cripes, an overseas membership is less than three rounds.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Steve Wilson

Well Niall,

I guess it's like this.  Golspie now knows it's a gem whether or not visiting golfers do.  The hidden part is certainly debatable. 

Read a story about a group of Americans who visited the Soviet Union after the collapse in early 90s and they  bought watches that were superior to Swiss quality for $100.  They told friends who were going later, but by the time those Americans got there the price had risen to Swiss level prices.  Under the Communist system the watchmakers knew nothing of pricing, but once markets occurred and competition entered the fray, Voila!

Whether or not the same demand occurs for Golspie, the price indicates they are more appreciative of what they have.

And as Ken Moon points out, maybe the best option is to get the overseas membership, hang around for a few days, and really get your money's worth.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Stewart Abramson

A round at Brora is now £125. You can get a ticket for a round at Brora and a round at Golspie on either the same day or consecutive days for [/size]£160, so it's like getting the round at Golspie for [/color][/size]£35.[/color]

Sean_A

Jason,

Steve

Niall

Yer spoiled by S Wales greenfees. Golspie is no better than Cardigan for 35 quid. What is driving up the price of Golspie is not Golspie...its Dornoch etc.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back