News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

I miss Chambers Bay
« on: June 16, 2023, 11:03:54 AM »
Over the past few US Opens, I’ve sort of had a nostalgic turn for the historical view of the 2015 US Open. Really, other than the poa/fine fescue bumps on the greens, I can’t fault the presentation or the results offered by the golf course. My prevailing view of that Open is Maximus yelling to the stunned crowd “are you not entertained?”

Going further, I remember CB getting bodied by pundits and common fans alike for the conditions. If I remember, that spring in Tacoma was once-in-generation dry and hot. Not unlike the very rare wetness and pervasive marine layer the LA Basin has been dealing with for weeks upon weeks.

Should the US Open return to Chambers Bay?

Mark Fedeli

Re: I miss Chambers Bay
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 12:14:52 PM »
Over the past few US Opens, I’ve sort of had a nostalgic turn for the historical view of the 2015 US Open. Really, other than the poa/fine fescue bumps on the greens, I can’t fault the presentation or the results offered by the golf course. My prevailing view of that Open is Maximus yelling to the stunned crowd “are you not entertained?”

Going further, I remember CB getting bodied by pundits and common fans alike for the conditions. If I remember, that spring in Tacoma was once-in-generation dry and hot. Not unlike the very rare wetness and pervasive marine layer the LA Basin has been dealing with for weeks upon weeks.

I loved everything about that Open and was not swayed by any of the complaints, from players or otherwise, about the condition of the greens.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 12:39:02 PM »

Yes.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Richard Choi

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 12:45:43 PM »
With the new poa greens, the pros should have very little to complain about, though it will be impossible to get the greens as firm as they were back then (especially during US Am, never seen it that hard since). I am pretty confident that the course can produce whatever result that USGA wants.

It will still have issues with the crowd flow. They really should think about build grandstands against the top slopes on the eastside.

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 12:57:17 PM »
With the new poa greens, the pros should have very little to complain about, though it will be impossible to get the greens as firm as they were back then (especially during US Am, never seen it that hard since). I am pretty confident that the course can produce whatever result that USGA wants.

It will still have issues with the crowd flow. They really should think about build grandstands against the top slopes on the eastside.

A Choi sighting!

For better or worse, I agree the Poa regrass is probably what had to happen to attract an Open level event again. And you’re also right, that rare spring weather likely won’t happen again. It was just crunchy in all the best ways. You could make a debate for it being the best US Open in awhile.

Richard Choi

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 01:06:14 PM »
I miss you, baby. :)
Thanks to global warming, I don't think it will be very difficult to get fairways as firm as it was back then. With poa greens, they won't be able to, unless they are will to kill them in the process.
But they can dictate the scores by using the more difficult pin positions. During the US Open, they never used some of the most brutal pin positions that the course has (since they were never needed).
The thing that I notice between Chambers and LACC is that some of the sideboards LACC has are way too inviting. That is great for weekend players but provides too much room for errors for the pros. At Chambers, the sideboards were so firm that they were punishing (unlike during normal play) and were really not options for the pros.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 10:30:16 PM »
I miss the original Chambers Bay, not the Mike Davis version.

However, they should return there for The Open over Olympic Club, Torrey Pines, and even Pebble Beach IMO.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back