News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Terrible TV coverage of the Masters
« on: April 10, 2023, 06:42:14 AM »
The powers that control the decision to limit TV coverage need to GET OUT OF THE DARK AGES. I was forced to sit in my car to listen on the radio for portions of Saturday and all Sunday morning, what a joke. 15 minutes of CBS on Saturday. The TV Coverage should be wall to wall.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tim Leahy

Re: Terrible TV coverage of the Masters
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 07:31:19 AM »
The powers that control the decision to limit TV coverage need to GET OUT OF THE DARK AGES. I was forced to sit in my car to listen on the radio for portions of Saturday and all Sunday morning, what a joke. 15 minutes of CBS on Saturday. The TV Coverage should be wall to wall.
GET OUT OF THE DARK AGES and get the Masters app or satellite TV. I didn't miss a shot. Masters app is free too. 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 10:29:39 AM »
You don't even need the app. All those Masters feeds are on the Masters website, as is the radio broadcast. But they should extend the weekend broadcast times and start earlier. When CTV in Canada comes on an hour earlier than CBS (and TSN, the cable network up there, is on from 10 a.m. ET with live coverage), there's something wrong.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 10:32:21 AM »
Is it possible CBS doesn't want to pay for that much air time?  Or they are trying to give their junior partner [whichever network it is that televises the earlier days and earlier time] a piece of the pie?

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 10:59:42 AM »
   I doubt it’s CBS, as it hasn’t changed much in 50 years, except now we get to see the front. I suspect it’s Augusta that sets the policy.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 11:31:51 AM »
For those saying they didn't miss a shot - did you watch those shots after the fact, or when they occurred live?
For the third round coverage there was no coverage of the leaders for the first three holes.  The Masters app/website had a feed for holes 4-5-6.  But that was the only place to watch the leaders before the regular TV coverage started at 3 on Saturday, and then they called play 15 minutes later.
We shouldn't have to figure out which of six feeds on an app that we need to use to watch the leaders.
TV coverage should be wall to wall, like the other majors.
ANGC finally seemed to get the message and relented for Sunday, allowing CBS to start showing it at 8:30am as the leaders teed off.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 11:34:34 AM »
You don't even need the app. All those Masters feeds are on the Masters website, as is the radio broadcast. But they should extend the weekend broadcast times and start earlier. When CTV in Canada comes on an hour earlier than CBS (and TSN, the cable network up there, is on from 10 a.m. ET with live coverage), there's something wrong.
Yes TSN is on earlier, but they are just carrying some of these "special" feeds like Amen Corner, Featured Groups, Holes 4-5-6.  The didn't really have regular coverage on TSN until CBS started.  And there was no feed carrying the first three holes of the leaders when they started the third round on Saturday afternoon.  Yet CBS was actually doing a live to tape coverage of this action that they showed after rain suspended play.  That is very silly.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 02:11:34 PM »
👍🏼 You can watch as much Masters as you want. Split screens, multiple screens… the works.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 02:22:54 PM »
The iPhone and iPad Masters 2023 apps were simply spectacular.

That is all.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 07:46:32 PM »
Yes TSN is on earlier, but they are just carrying some of these "special" feeds like Amen Corner, Featured Groups, Holes 4-5-6.  The didn't really have regular coverage on TSN until CBS started.  And there was no feed carrying the first three holes of the leaders when they started the third round on Saturday afternoon.  Yet CBS was actually doing a live to tape coverage of this action that they showed after rain suspended play.  That is very silly.

You could have used the "My Group" feature to pick out the final group or anyone else you liked and watched them that way. I did that beginning midway through the first hole. It worked fine.

True about TSN. I watch it. It's great. But it's something ESPN should be allowed to offer on its channels and not just online.

So what would you have wanted CBS to fill the air time with on Saturday, if not earlier action? (One reason Augusta finally relented to show the front nine live was CBS' taped coverage of the front nine during a rain delay about 20 years ago. Frank Chrikinian, Bob Jones and Cliff Roberts had picked out camera positions decades earlier, and the first time I was there, in 1993, CBS had a minicam behind each green for highlights, so this wasn't a spur-of-the-moment decision.)

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 11:23:31 PM »
On Saturday CBS/TSN should have started their full third round coverage at 1pm as the leaders were about to tee off.  After that I don't really care what they show.  But they should be showing the entire round of the leaders on the main TV channel without everyone having to figure out which of multiple apps, streaming services, etc in a way that is friendly to the end user .

Jason Thurman

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 11:45:28 PM »
I'm sorry. If you can't access coverage of The Masters in a way that you find enormously satisfying, it's you. Hi. You're the problem. It's you.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 12:12:44 AM »
I'm sorry. If you can't access coverage of The Masters in a way that you find enormously satisfying, it's you. Hi. You're the problem. It's you.
A Swiftie eh?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 01:09:13 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, the Masters website also has video of every shot of every player on every hole within minutes of them hitting that shot. So even if you can't see every single shot live, you can watch them within a few minutes for anyone in the field.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Matthew Rose

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2023, 01:16:00 AM »
In Australia we got rather lucky, as the resumption of play early in the mornings allowed us some live golf in the late evening hours. I have a chromecast and Kayo so I could put it on my computer or on one of my TVs.

It was nice to fall asleep to it a couple of nights this weekend.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 09:14:08 AM »
Unless I'm mistaken, the Masters website also has video of every shot of every player on every hole within minutes of them hitting that shot. So even if you can't see every single shot live, you can watch them within a few minutes for anyone in the field.
That is true, but that does not provide for satisfying coverage of an event while it is occurring.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 09:37:47 AM »
That is true, but that does not provide for satisfying coverage of an event while it is occurring.

It satisfied me. Your mileage obviously varies.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2023, 10:31:48 AM »
Yes, it's definitely me.

The Masters has great coverage on their website and is available in multiple places.
It gets a bit dicey however when trying to figure out how to record it(especially on the fly)on multiple platforms for later viewings.
I'm sure that's easier than I make it too.

The streaming,app and website are appreciated, but CBS surely could have come on before 3 pm on Saturday.

All of that said, it's being made to be consumed by an individual, as most are golf geeks like ourselves watching by themselves on their laptop or phone.
Not overly family friendly, though I guess us luddites could get a younger family member to show us how to get it from small screen to big screen. ;D ;)

FYI, the in person experience, while still outstanding, has gone down significantly in the last few years.
Still the best event in sports, but not nearly as user friendly as it used to be.
Massive crowds, long,long lines at merch building, a very long walk in , especially if not arriving very early, practice rounds have gotten completely unwatchable with massive crowds and very little, and very slow, golf played, and no set playing schedule to plan around.Most players simply play 9 because it's so slow.
They still do an outstanding job, but in recent years The Open Championship has been a better fan experience-or at least their equal, which is saying a lot because The Masters leaves no detail to chance, and The Open is a travelling once a year show.

The fact that the apps, website and coverage are so comprehensive make watching remotely "almost as" attractive as "in person" for someone who really wants to keep up with what's happening, and the in person Masters experience is very luddite with the ability to track the round of a player NOT on the leaderboards(which are everywhere), with only one main scoreboard at the entrance.(and no phones)
The Open does an outstanding job with scoreboards and multiple huge TV monitors and comfortable viewing areas located around the course for those wanting to keep up with what is happening.

First world problems for sure. ;D ;)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2023, 11:41:07 AM »
I agree that it would have been to have had CBS on earlier, but with all the options that the Master's app provided, I found myself streaming to my tv even after CBS came on the air.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 11:51:27 AM »
Add a betting app with live betting where the odds change with every swing and nary an egg will be found.

Alex Miller

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2023, 12:31:46 PM »
I agree that it would have been to have had CBS on earlier, but with all the options that the Master's app provided, I found myself streaming to my tv even after CBS came on the air.

Am I the only one who had CBS coverage for all of Sunday? Rds 3 and 4

ward peyronnin

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2023, 01:31:19 PM »
Is it selective memory or is Jim Nance losing his touch?
Banal comments, stating the obvious, flashback drift. What does he really add anymore to broadcast analysis and current commentary?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2023, 01:37:53 PM »

They had full coverage on Sunday, but that may have been due to the outrage over the lack of coverage on Saturday.  On Saturday CBS came on at 3 and play stopped at 3:15.  It was very hard, if not impossible, to watch the leaders from the time they teed off at 1 until CBS came on at 3. Some coverage was available via the app, arguably because you may have had to watch after the shots were hit and go to the individual player scorecard.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2023, 01:41:40 PM »
Is it selective memory or is Jim Nance losing his touch?
Banal comments, stating the obvious, flashback drift. What does he really add anymore to broadcast analysis and current commentary?

Perhaps a self reflective observation of a man your age.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2023, 02:23:18 PM »

Assuming every CBS affiliate carried the live morning coverage, everyone had access. CBS has covered Sunday morning Masters before when weather necessitated it. One year (2003?) when USA was still the weekday network, CBS used USA for a Round 3 runover but put the runover coverage on its then-separate HD network as well while regular CBS affiliates showed "Sunday Morning" and "Face The Nation."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back