News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DFarron

Orlando/Stuart
« on: February 12, 2023, 05:06:23 PM »
Heading to Florida in 2 weeks, any recommendations on courses south of Orlando for the first day and Stuart the next two days.

Have a call in at Streamsong so that is a possibility and am considering Bay Hill.

How is Winter Park 9? Southern Dunes?

Thanks for your input !
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 06:10:19 PM by DFarron »

Adam Lawrence

Re: Orlando/Stuart
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 05:45:11 PM »
Isn’t that tournament week at Bay Hill? I was at the GCSAA show in Orlando this week, and spoke to some guys who’d just played Bay Hill. They said the _average_ fairway width was seventeen yards.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2023, 05:49:18 PM »
Some  of the following assumes  that your route to Stuart originates at MCO and not downtown Orlando:

The most direct route from MCO (and much of the metro area)  to Stuart is via the Florida Turnpike. That route is mostly a golf wasteland.

Streamsong is out of your way, but would provide the best golf option if you can find an open tee time.

The PGAT may be at Bay Hill while you are here. Bay Hill will add about 30-45 minutes to your drive and you may have to stay a night at the Lodge in order to get a tee time.

The Winter Park 9 is good but not in the direction of Stuart and would add about an hour to your drive.

I'm not familiar with a Southern Hills near Orlando. If you mean Southern Dunes in Haines City, that is one of the best public access courses south of Orlando and definitely worth a visit. Very good greens on a sand based  site with good elevation changes on the back 9,  but it would add about an hour to your trip, However,  if you also plan to play Streamsong it is on the way there.

If you can access to Lake Nona CC that would be a good option.

Many may scoff at this suggestion, but Royal St Cloud is one of the most convenient options on the way toward Stuart. It is a faux links, with some interesting bunkering (including a couple deep stacked sod faced bunkers), wide fairways, often firm condition and quite inexpensive by winter standards in Orlando

DFarron

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2023, 06:13:21 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Landing in Orlando Tuesday evening, will have plenty of time on Wednesday and will probably head to Stuart early Thursday am.

Don’t mind driving an extra hour…..

DFarron

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2023, 06:16:28 PM »
Some  of the following assumes  that your route to Stuart originates at MCO and not downtown Orlando:

The most direct route from MCO (and much of the metro area)  to Stuart is via the Florida Turnpike. That route is mostly a golf wasteland.

Streamsong is out of your way, but would provide the best golf option if you can find an open tee time.

The PGAT may be at Bay Hill while you are here. Bay Hill will add about 30-45 minutes to your drive and you may have to stay a night at the Lodge in order to get a tee time.

The Winter Park 9 is good but not in the direction of Stuart and would add about an hour to your drive.

I'm not familiar with a Southern Hills near Orlando. If you mean Southern Dunes in Haines City, that is one of the best public access courses south of Orlando and definitely worth a visit. Very good greens on a sand based  site with good elevation changes on the back 9,  but it would add about an hour to your trip, However,  if you also plan to play Streamsong it is on the way there.

If you can access to Lake Nona CC that would be a good option.

Many may scoff at this suggestion, but Royal St Cloud is one of the most convenient options on the way toward Stuart. It is a faux links, with some interesting bunkering (including a couple deep stacked sod faced bunkers), wide fairways, often firm condition and quite inexpensive by winter standards in Orlando

Is Lake Nona worth it ? Have heard varying comments about it.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2023, 07:46:50 PM »
I've only played Lake Nona one time many years ago. It was very good, but not "world class". There's really nothing better nearby.

Bang for the buck, you can't do much better  than Southern Dunes in the area. You could play there Wednesday morning drive to Streamsong for a round Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning if available, and then head to Stuart. That's a pretty convenient route

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2023, 09:24:19 AM »
I really like Lake Nona; it's more interesting than most Fazio courses seeing as Mike Strantz was involved in its construction.

Southern Dunes is my favorite public play in greater Orlando.

If you can get Streamsong to work, you won't be disappointed.

More towards Stuart, I am a big fan of PGA Village, in Port St. Lucie. The Dye Course is highly underrated among his work. It's one of my favorites in the state and I try to play it at least a couple of times a year.

Closer to Stuart proper, the best non-private option is Florida Club, by a pretty good margin IMO. It has its own Dye influence; Dick Gray, a longtime superintendent who helped build Crooked Stick, laid out FC. It reads as solid, low-profile Dye pastiche.

There's also the reversible nine-holer at the Martin County course, Sailfish Sands, which is good fun.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 10:53:39 AM »
We spent 5+ weeks in Stuart this year from Xmas through January.

Played Sailfish Point (as a guest) and that was very enjoyable. Updated Nicklaus course in minty shape at south end of Hutchinson Island.

Others worth looking at:

- Floridian: kind a like Medalist or Bears' Club and accessed it with call from my home pro. Fazio track with caddies.

- Harbor Ridge Yacht Club: has two courses, a Pete Dye and Joe Lee I think.

- The PGA courses near that new Tiger Woods mini-golf facility. Did not play them. Heard the Pete Dye course there is worth playing.

Or, try to get on MacCarthur with some begging.

Loblolly is closed as Jim Urbina is doing a 100% "reno" on the Pete and PB Dye course. Hobe Sound is just 20 mins to the south.

All other courses seem indistinguishably average.

DFarron

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 01:27:02 PM »
Thanks guys…..that gives me some ideas.

Anyone play Champions Club at Summerfield?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 01:57:46 PM »

Fellow GCAer Jeff Shelman and I played it a few years ago. The course paled in comparison to the company.

Florida Club, which I mentioned in my post, is pretty close to Champions Club. If you gave me 10 rounds between the two, I'd play 8 or 9 of them at Florida Club.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2023, 08:43:26 AM »
 8)

Can't say anything bad about Streamsong other than it's expensive ...quite the place though. It's a bit of a drive from Orlando but easy driving.

While in Stuart I'd try to finagle McArthur if able. Seminole is pretty far south ( :P )  Jupiter Hills underrated and George Fazio's masterpiece work IMO. 

Enjoy

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2023, 09:59:56 AM »
Highlands Reserve is a bit of a GCA favourite. Been the scene of a couple of impromptu get-togethers. Quite good fun - even has a Biarritz green! Pretty cheap, too…
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 11:52:39 AM »
Highlands Reserve is a bit of a GCA favourite. Been the scene of a couple of impromptu get-togethers. Quite good fun - even has a Biarritz green! Pretty cheap, too…
Cheers,
F.

Alas, the Biarritz did not survive the most recent renovations. It's still just as good but some of the quirk has been eliminated.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2023, 12:08:53 PM »
Cheers,
F.

Alas, the Biarritz did not survive the most recent renovations. It's still just as good but some of the quirk has been eliminated.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :'(
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

DFarron

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2023, 04:01:20 PM »
How about Mountain Lake? I’ve heard that it was pretty good….

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2023, 04:25:03 PM »
8)

Can't say anything bad about Streamsong other than it's expensive ...quite the place though. It's a bit of a drive from Orlando but easy driving.
In my experience some of their caddies aren't very good and when I last went they forced you to use double bag caddies which was a ripoff at $100+tip per player vs $120+tip for a single bag. It is a far inferior experience with double bag than single bag.

JStewart

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2023, 07:08:09 PM »
The public golf scene near Orlando is somewhat underwhelming, but I highly recommend Southern Dunes.

Rich Thomas

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2023, 11:01:05 AM »

Fellow GCAer Jeff Shelman and I played it a few years ago. The course paled in comparison to the company.

Florida Club, which I mentioned in my post, is pretty close to Champions Club. If you gave me 10 rounds between the two, I'd play 8 or 9 of them at Florida Club.

I lived just south of West Palm for a little bit. I would go up to the Hobe Sound/Port St. Lucie area all the time. I would second The Florida Club. I really enjoyed playing that. I never played Champions Club, but I did play Lost Lake. It is right there in the same area. I also enjoyed the Dye Course at PGA Village over the other 2 courses. If you have the time while in Stuart and don't mind a 45 minute drive, check out the new redesigns at PGA National or Hanse's work over at West Palm Beach Golf Course if it's open and ready for play.

DFarron

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2023, 09:29:27 PM »
So the winners are Streamsong Red and Blue (36 hole day) and working on MacArthur.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back