News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Re: OT non refundable deposit on club waiting list.
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2023, 03:22:01 AM »
That makes some sense Rob. Just feel bad for the people on here that deposited money and it sat in the clubs account only to be told they are now off that wait list. That sounds sketchy

Surely the clubs are just being fair.

They are holding your deposit without being able to promise you a membership in a reasonable time. Sorry I see this as the golf club acting fairly.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Rob Marshall

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2023, 07:23:44 AM »
That makes some sense Rob. Just feel bad for the people on here that deposited money and it sat in the clubs account only to be told they are now off that wait list. That sounds sketchy

They are holding your deposit without being able to promise you a membership in a reasonable time. Sorry I see this as the golf club acting fairly.

How is it fair to the guy who was #1 on the list?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Niall C

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2023, 07:52:32 AM »
Adrian

I think the bit people don't find fair and a bit off, is that they took the money by way of a deposit and then after several years they unilaterally changed the basis that the money was being held. I think that most people would view the deposit being paid and being accepted as being a commitment made on both sides. The club don't seem to have honoured the commitment.

Bear in mind also we're presumably not talking about a club/company that is on the brink of going under and taking desperate measures for survival.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2023, 08:02:09 AM »
Rob,When they tell you no one is quitting as an excuse for eliminating a waitlist, that is BS...people die and they move so there is always a revolving door...some just slower than others...On the bright side they gave you the deposit back now instead of waiting another year or two...oh well...

Mike

That might be one way of looking at it but the other might be that they took the money under false pretences. While I've no doubt the club is acting legally or presumably they wouldn't do it, I tend to think that they have a moral obligation to stick to the deal.

Niall

Following making the post above, I received an email from one of our good friends on here who inferred that perhaps I was showing a degree of bias against US clubs, or at least that is what I think he was implying. To be clear I think it sharp practice wherever it is done. Even though the monetary figures are less here in the UK, the principle is still the same.

Also, as Mike points out, there is always a turnover of members due to deaths and resignations, so why not let those on the waiting list who have paid a deposit get in on the same terms as when they paid their deposit ? It might encourage prospective members to get their names down sooner.

Niall   

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2023, 08:58:29 AM »

I did not realise he was number 1 on the list, I just thought it referred to the fact there was no likelyhood of immenient membership so they returned the deposit (as an act of fairness).
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2023, 10:00:12 AM »

I did not realise he was number 1 on the list, I just thought it referred to the fact there was no likelyhood of immenient membership so they returned the deposit (as an act of fairness).

They refunded everyone's deposit that was on the non-resident waiting list and eliminated the class of membership.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2023, 10:32:53 AM »
Adrian

I think the bit people don't find fair and a bit off, is that they took the money by way of a deposit and then after several years they unilaterally changed the basis that the money was being held. I think that most people would view the deposit being paid and being accepted as being a commitment made on both sides. The club don't seem to have honoured the commitment.

Bear in mind also we're presumably not talking about a club/company that is on the brink of going under and taking desperate measures for survival.

Niall
I guess without knowing all the numbers and the facts its hard to make an exact call. I know back in the 90s we used to charge people for going on the waiting list and when it looked like more than two years to get in we had a waiting list for the waiting list and did not charge. There must be some rules that got signed when the deposit was paid that mentioned the rights to both sides and/or maybe it did and maybe it said something along the lines "the club cannot guarentee when a membership space will be available"

Tim Martin

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2023, 10:43:18 AM »
I have empathy for Rob and the way it was handled. The silver lining to me is that do you really want to be a member of a club that operates in this fashion? This won’t be the end of the behind the scenes slight of hand.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2023, 11:50:30 AM »

They refunded everyone's deposit that was on the non-resident waiting list and eliminated the class of membership.
I would think you could challenge that if they are still taking members in aft another class.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2023, 12:41:46 PM »
Tim's post above is spot on. It says something about the club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back