News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

“Angles Don’t Matter”
« on: February 08, 2023, 08:22:26 PM »
“Angles Don’t Matter”

“Fairways Don’t Have Proper Sides”

These are both quotes from the data manager of Arccos Golf, Lou Stagner. I decided I was tired of being a golf nut that sucks at golf and I’m working hard to get better. This led me to data analysis and Arccos Golf. Turns out, all the stuff I thought I knew about getting better at golf is sort of old hat.

That said, this modern take on shot tracking and by default, scoring, also has an affect on golf architecture. What’s your viewpoint when you read quotes such as these? Keep in mind that Lou Stagner has over 600 MILLION golf shots from which to draw conclusions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 08:28:09 PM by Ben Sims »

Cal Seifert

Re: “Angles Don’t Matter”
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 08:37:31 PM »
Angles matter less and less the better you become. If you can hit high long shots from the fairway as well as the rough, it’s likely you can fly over trouble. Even if short sided.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 08:43:12 PM »
Depends on which golfers and conditions you are taking about. Even TOC made angles matter at last year's Open.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jim Sherma

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 09:01:35 PM »
When corses are soft angles don’t matter. Once they get firm they can matter a lot. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 09:28:10 PM »
Being in the fairway is great if you want to beat an opponent who is not. This is especially true at a course like Prairie Dunes where angles are everything.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 09:48:34 PM »
i'd be interested to see the statistics solely on a course where angles theoretically matter, not just the average course. peace
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 09:54:07 PM »
Angles matter when the ball is rolling. This discussion isn't new; there are several other topics with this line of discussion.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 01:17:26 AM »
Golf course architects are a deluded bunch. We still hang our hat off designing strategic golf because it is one of the main cornerstones of the job. But deep down, we know!

Now with that said, I too would like to see numbers on a course we consider highly strategic Vs an average one. I think that on courses with very, very firm greens and wind, you have to have a high swing speed and good spin and descent for them not to matter at all. I play off 4 and I know courses where they matter more for me than other courses. But I reckon there’s a sweet spot of playing ability. Counterintuitively, I bet they don’t really matter for the weaker player either. Because they are not in control of their ball enough for a trend to be spotted.

But I’m guessing… dish some more data, Ben.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 02:23:32 AM »

When corses are soft angles don’t matter. Once they get firm they can matter a lot.

100%

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 02:32:08 AM »
I’d like to see a comparison of four groups of courses:

- PGA Tour courses
- US Top 100 courses built before WWII
- Every course built by TD or C&C
- GB&I Top 100 links courses

I have my opinions of the order these would fall out in “angles matter”. I’d be fascinated to see if I was right.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 03:46:58 AM »
The various stats LS highlights have some merit but not for every player, every course, every day etc. They are a generalisation.
They can be however thought provoking and if considered in relation to your own game and where you are playing on any given day and the likes of the weather and course conditions on the day in question may be of some assistance.
atb

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 03:56:43 AM »

- PGA Tour courses

I have my opinions of the order these would fall out in “angles matter”. I’d be fascinated to see if I was right.
I'd also like to see a comparison by ability.  Intuitively, angles matter more for those whose shots spend more time rolling, rather than landing and stopping.  Teen handicappers stop the ball much less quickly than pros, so I'd expect angles to matter more for me than the best.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 07:59:13 AM »
I guess I need some clarification on the OP.  Is the claim really that angles don’t matter for any player in any situation on any course?  Or just that it doesn’t happen often enough to be statistically relevant?

I have looked over the ShotLink data for two older courses - Waialae and Cherry Hills - and I couldn’t find any pattern of players aiming for one side of the fairway over another, or of guys making more birdies from drives on one side.

Unfortunately, the European Tour doesn’t track and color-code the result of each drive, so I haven’t seen good data for The Renaissance Club, and only for the first year of the event in Houston, not for the last two.

But are we just talking about Tour players (who rarely have an approach shot over 150 yards), or everyone?

Max Prokopy

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 08:09:58 AM »
If the conditions or level of player is such that pin positions matter, then so do angles. 

I agree that for soft courses angles mean little, especially in comparison to elevation changes, bowls, or false fronts.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 09:18:29 AM »
If you enjoy flighting the ball down and bouncing into greens a la links golf in Scotland and Ireland, angles and fairway position can be everything. I mean ... if there is a bunker covering the front right half of the green, you better be on the left side of the fairway to play your second if you want to run one in. Obviously, a scratch golfer on a calm day who likes to fly it to the yardage and stop the ball on a dime won't be affected by position, and probably will end up scoring better. Bt will that person have more fun? I don't know. I wouldn't.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 09:22:04 AM »
What about launch angle?  Does that angle matter?  Why is he trying to sell me a product that optimizes my launch angle, but then tells me angles don’t matter? Seems like a conflict of interest. If angles used to matter and now they don’t, the only explanation is a better launch angle. Clever marketing and golf has always gone hand in hand.

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 09:39:09 AM »

- PGA Tour courses

I think we'd all like to see the comparisons but I wonder if there would be that much difference for the Tour players for the reasons others have cited.

Niall

Buck Wolter

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 09:54:04 AM »
Isn't it --angles don't matter as much as distance?

The way I understand the Stagner/Fawcett/Barzeski/Strokes Gained approach (I'm sure there are nuances between them). You can't reliably get the best angle unless you sacrifice distance (and dispersion) and being closer outweighs almost any angle. Hit your drive as far as you can where you take hazards out of play by aiming between any hazards at your carry distance and live with the dispersion and possible bad angle. If you bring a hazard into play (within your drive dispersion) by chasing the angle the math doesn't work over the long term.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 10:09:24 AM »
If there is some severe contour in the fairway I bet angles matter a lot. This is why my favorite thing is contour, big rollers, small chop, you name it.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 10:20:22 AM »
Knowing what trends emerge after 600 million golf shots is useful, but it's not everything. There are all sorts of variables in a single round that can - and should - cause a player to play a more conservative or aggressive shot than the Stagners and Fawcetts of the world might suggest in a vacuum.

As I understand them, their models would have counseled against Max Homa taking dead aim at the pin, hitting a fade that started over the front-left bunker, on the 16th at Torrey Pines a couple of weeks ago. But Homa took it on, and it arguably won him the golf tournament. They probably would have advised Bubba Watson to just pitch out of the trees at the 2012 Masters, too.

A great thing about golf is that every round is unique, and typical or average individual situations are not the only ones you or I encounter in a given set of 18 holes. I don't see a lot of acknowledgment of that fact in their almighty models. Any attempt to force objectivity on something as variable as a round of golf is going to have limitations. Their research provides a good base from which to selectively diverge (the more opportunities a golf course provides to diverge, the better it is, I find), but it's not God, even if they act like zealots sometimes.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 12:00:49 PM »
I guess I need some clarification on the OP.  Is the claim really that angles don’t matter for any player in any situation on any course?  Or just that it doesn’t happen often enough to be statistically relevant?
Angles don't matter (much at all) when the ball isn't rolling.

From the PGA Tour right up to 20 handicappers, players on the "optimal" side of the hole actually score slightly worse than players on the "wrong" side of the fairway. Ditto for being in the rough on the "wrong" side versus the "correct" side. We're talking tenths or hundredths of a shot.

Why? Often… b ecause when you're on the "wrong" side you play more conservatively, and when you're on the "correct" side you play more aggressively. Ideally, players would play to almost the same places regardless of their "angle" if they were interested in scoring the best.

I have looked over the ShotLink data for two older courses - Waialae and Cherry Hills - and I couldn’t find any pattern of players aiming for one side of the fairway over another, or of guys making more birdies from drives on one side.
Right. I've shared the graphic from before for PGA Tour player data, and… it's basically the same. They score about the same from the fairway, on either side. For the same reasons as above. The data is fairly consistent across a large range of players.

But are we just talking about Tour players (who rarely have an approach shot over 150 yards), or everyone?
Unless you define "rarely" in a weird way… that's not correct. I may dig up the stat, but Tour players are approaching from farther out than y'all seem to think.

Heck, look at the number of approaches from 125-150 and 150-175. From 2021-22:
  • The leader in 125-150 had 113 attempts, and the same player (Justin Rose) had 142 from 150-175.
  • The last guy (Danny Lee) from 125-150 had 123 attempts and 139 from 150-175.
  • The median guy (David Lipsky) from 125-150 had 204 attempts, but 282 from 150-175.
  • The total number on that chart from 125-150 is 35,127 and from 150-175 is 42,633.
No, this quick look doesn't show 100-125, but it also doesn't show 175-200, which happens more than y'all might think. But I think it clearly shows that saying "rarely" is incorrect.

If the conditions or level of player is such that pin positions matter, then so do angles.
Sure. Mostly, as I keep noting, when the ball is rolling… either because they don't hit it far/high enough to get it in the air and stop a little, or the ground is firm (i.e. Melbourne during the Presidents Cup).

Am I the only one who remembers that we've had this discussion about ten times already in the last four or five years?

Isn't it --angles don't matter as much as distance?
Yes, but more because angles don't really matter much (except when rolling), so almost everything else matters more. Distance, fairway vs. rough vs. hazards… etc.

The way I understand the Stagner/Fawcett/Barzeski/Strokes Gained approach (I'm sure there are nuances between them). You can't reliably get the best angle unless you sacrifice distance (and dispersion) and being closer outweighs almost any angle.
Not quite. You can hit driver and "try" to be on the left side of the fairway, or "try" to be on the right side of the fairway. But it's generally dumb to do so.

Imagine a fairway that's symmetrical. Maybe it's just rough on both sides, or an equal fairway bunker on each side, whatever. In this case, you're generally best to aim at the middle of the fairway, so the highest percentage of your shots are in the fairway, regardless of the angle. Fairway > rough and angles don't matter.

Now imagine a fairway where there's a penalty of some kind on one side (a creek, a deep bunker, etc.). It's the better "angle" but it's the dumber play by far - your pattern should be centered around the other side of the fairway, sometimes even into the rough slightly depending on the severity of the hazard (like OB/lost ball). In this way the "angle" matters… but it's the angle you take off the tee, not the angle into the green.  In this case, fairway > rough > penalty/obstruction/hazard.

Hit your drive as far as you can where you take hazards out of play by aiming between any hazards at your carry distance and live with the dispersion and possible bad angle. If you bring a hazard into play (within your drive dispersion) by chasing the angle the math doesn't work over the long term.
Yes. Pretty much that.

There are all sorts of variables in a single round that can - and should - cause a player to play a more conservative or aggressive shot than the Stagners and Fawcetts of the world might suggest in a vacuum.
There are always going to be outliers.

As I understand them, their models would have counseled against Max Homa taking dead aim at the pin, hitting a fade that started over the front-left bunker, on the 16th at Torrey Pines a couple of weeks ago. But Homa took it on, and it arguably won him the golf tournament. They probably would have advised Bubba Watson to just pitch out of the trees at the 2012 Masters, too.
They would have, but Max also won by more than one shot, and it could have cost him the tournament, too. You're looking at one event and one outcome and comparing it to the way to shoot the lowest average score. As we wrote in LSW, for example… the way to play the hole for the lowest average score may be different than the way to have the best chance of making birdie when you don't care about also increasing the chances of making double or higher.

I don't see a lot of acknowledgment of that fact in their almighty models.
You do realize that when talking to the general "golfer" base, whether it's me with LSW, or Lou, or Scott… we kinda have to talk about general things. But in working with the players with whom I've worked… for example… there are some holes that just suit a player's eye, and even though the "math" says "do X" they're better off doing Y, or Z. Or there are times when they're just feeling it, and they're counseled to diverge.

The models we all have are baselines. You can't apply them in a total paint-by-numbers way, nor do we tell people - individual people - to do that. When talking to the masses, though, you have to give the generalized info.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2023, 12:22:47 PM »
Found it. 2017-2021:

63% are longer than 150. I have a hard time getting behind a definition of "rarely" that's synonymous with "the majority."  :)

P.S. Remove par threes and it's still well over 50%.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 06:27:24 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2023, 12:27:58 PM »
getting better

It's curious that you reference getting better more than shooting lower scores. I think analytics is probably a good way to shoot lower scores regardless of whether you get any better. I think analytics is a better and more well thought-out version of what we used to call "playing within yourself". I think actually getting better is more of a mastery over what happens when you hit a ball. Whether you choose the smart play on the course is another matter entirely.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2023, 12:36:49 PM »
What club does the average pro hit 150 these days?

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2023, 12:52:37 PM »
What club does the average pro hit 150 these days?
There's a chart here with averages for the PGA Tour and LPGA Tour.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back