News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Updated 147 Custodians now live New
« on: February 08, 2023, 03:01:49 PM »
An update on the 147 is now posted – here is the link:

147 Custodians of the Game +3 – Golf Club Atlas

It remains a labor of love, in part because it is hard to go “wrong” with something that is so personalized.  It is cathartic to update it, as do the same principles remain true or do they ebb and flow? The courses certainly change, generally based on whatever caught my eye in the preceding year. Of course, if it devolves into a list of favorite playing experiences, then it becomes pointless as that is not replicable. Hopefully, the focus remains on things that each person would experience on their own, be it the architecture, the playing environment, the lack of folderol, whatever. At a minimum, it is a compilation of places to enjoy the game based on the criteria that I outline.

Maybe it makes others reflect on what is or isn’t important to them. Sure, your perspective might be that it is fun to ride and drink and play loud music.  My perspective differs, calling for the sport to remain as simple and clutter free as possible. Yet, even writing about simplicity is hard to do these days! For instance, I don’t know if Leonardo da Vinci wrote "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" or who deserves credit for “Keep it simple, Stupid” but for me, such sentiments prevail at clubs that are good custodians. As I get older, I want to spend more time at such places. Why? Because that’s where I derive the most happiness.

The sport is bigger than all of us, but it relies on us to make it the best it can be. And that’s where it gets tricky. Just like you can smother a child with too much fawning and handholding, we can inadvertently smother the soul of the game by introducing a whole host of modern vices - and expenses - that dilute from the fundamental joy of reconnecting with nature. In my opinion, we must be vigilant and guard against things that invade the purity of the sport.

Anyway, enough rambling. It is fun to write about fun places, and I hope you enjoy the third revision of the 147. 

Best,
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 06:52:13 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Michael Moore

Re: Updated 147 Custodians now live
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 08:51:28 PM »
Thanks for getting my home course off this list. “It’s simply not done.”
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Max Prokopy

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 09:17:22 PM »
I always look forward to scrolling through...thank you.

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 10:41:07 AM »
It's always a pleasure to read Ran's writings even when you maybe don't agree entirely with some of his selections, or more likely, omissions. To be honest I'm not sure I know what are the new ones and what courses if any have been discarded but still fun to read and good to start a discussion.

At the risk of seeming ungrateful considering how many Scottish courses there are in terms of the ratio of courses per land mass, I'd love to see a few more down to earth, modest even, type of Scottish courses/cubs included. Particularly inland courses.

Niall

Jeffrey Conners

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 03:53:40 PM »
I absolutely love the 147 Custodians and Ran's introduction is stirring. And I especially loved this about Bloomfield Hills, the best rebuke of music on the golf course that I have read: "Meanwhile, the grace in which Bloomfield members go about the game in a quiet, dignified manner stands as a ballast to places that have gone mad by embracing speakers/music to enliven a sport that needs no such help."

Max Prokopy

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 03:54:25 PM »
Niall,
I see a bit of a pattern that the courses with a longer blurb have been updated and/or moved in their ranking. 

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 11:27:19 AM »
Curious to know which courses fell off the list

John Butler

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 02:44:59 PM »
Ran, in your comment about Hirono GC you recommend a club history book published in late 2022.  I'm unable to find it online.  Do you have the title/author and further information about purchasing this book?  I'm assuming it's in English.  I collect club history books and have not yet been fortunate to go to Hirono.  Thank you.

Mark Mammel

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 06:15:14 PM »
I'm happy to see Prairie Dunes on the list, gunch notwithstanding! It's a great walk from one rugged hole to the next, and a friendly place to the many visitors that seek it out.
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 09:58:45 AM »
I, too, am happy you included Bloomfield Hills. The course and club are well cared for. You might have included the story we talked about a while ago. On Dec 7, 1941, the big three automakers cleared the men's grill and said, " What can we do to help win this war?" And they decided who would make what to help the cause. It sends shivers up my spine.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2023, 01:57:42 PM »
Still my favorite ranking of golf courses! Always enjoyable to read and I know I would enjoy playing any one of them.

Thanks for putting together, Ran.
H.P.S.

Stephen Smith

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2023, 03:30:41 PM »
Love to see Belvedere and Bloomfield Hills.  I had so much fun visiting those last year.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2023, 09:56:42 AM »
Worth listening to this 2018 State of the Game podcast with Ran about the original 147 - https://stateofthegame.fireside.fm/82
Atb

Michael Morandi

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2023, 01:18:29 PM »
Thanks for reminding us time and again what the game of golf is all about, Ran. I’m constantly perplexed at how in America at least, we pretend to revere courses and clubs  where the game began and then do everything in our power to undermine the underpinnings with over the top offerings highlighted by fake waterfalls,  comfort stations and a million rules, of which etiquette is often at the bottom of the list.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2023, 05:10:29 PM »
Curious to know which courses fell off the list

Roaring Gap dropped in 2022

Jon Claydon

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 12:09:49 PM »
Re: Eastward Ho!, having played it for the first time in July 2022, I was absolutely blown away.  The front 9 especially took my breath away at numerous points.  Incredible golf course. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 05:25:05 PM »
I really enjoy surveying Ran's list of custodians, but cannot help thinking about the juxtaposition of it with the recent and robust thread about American Muni courses. Exclusive and high end courses may be custodians of architecture that warrants preservation and perpetuation, but "Custodians of the Game" itself? I am not so sure.

Ira

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 06:42:17 PM »
Re: Eastward Ho!, having played it for the first time in July 2022, I was absolutely blown away.  The front 9 especially took my breath away at numerous points.  Incredible golf course.
Jon-Massachusetts is blessed with a pretty deep bench counting the likes of The Country Club, Myopia, Essex County, Kittansett, Boston GC and Old Sandwich in it’s lineup. Regardless of its ranking among the different lists I don’t know if there is a more compelling play than Eastward Ho. It’s captivating from the opening hole through the finish.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 06:46:56 PM by Tim Martin »

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2023, 09:43:08 AM »
I really enjoy surveying Ran's list of custodians, but cannot help thinking about the juxtaposition of it with the recent and robust thread about American Muni courses. Exclusive and high end courses may be custodians of architecture that warrants preservation and perpetuation, but "Custodians of the Game" itself? I am not so sure.

Ira

I am not convinced the list is well named either. Custodians of courses is what the list is mainly about. Custodians of the game is firmly in the hands of golfers.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bernie Bell

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2023, 01:50:45 PM »
Custodians of the "members' logo"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back