News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Swilken Bridge
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2023, 03:08:07 PM »
To bring things full circle...

Is the ongoing plan then to just re-sod it from time to time, given that the course basically never closes? (The foot traffic is likely much worse on Sundays)

And/or is there any way to implement a temporary barrier around it on Sundays? Or is that just asking for more trouble with people climbing over it and such to get the snap?

P.S.  Bruce, agreed with no Pineapple on Pizza, but I had some on a Thai dish last night and it was terrific! ;)

I don’t think the artificial turf looked that bad and it would seem a more practical solution than having to continually re-sod. I won’t take offense to anyone claiming that it’s a ridiculous solution. ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 03:25:21 PM by Tim Martin »

David_Tepper

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2023, 04:40:40 PM »
Plastic "paver" tiles (with holes/slots to let the grass grow thru) placed in that heavy traffic area might be a workable solution. I have seen several links course use them.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=plastic+tiles+with+holes+to+allow+grass+to+grow+thru

Certainly a lower maintenance solution than having to re-turf 2 or 3 times a year.   

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2023, 06:25:59 PM »

David, they have tried that before, quite successfully judging by Josh’s photo below. Trouble with this solution is the same: Heavy wear usually kills the grass and leaves an uneven mix of black matting with grass showing through.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2023, 06:48:37 PM »
Perhaps that 6+ foot stone wall, as shown in Josh's pic, needs to be restored.  Can't really tell which side of the road its on, but of course they'd need to ensure its built between the course and the road.  ;D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2023, 04:38:52 AM »
Very disappointed with this whole saga. It would have been perfect for the 1st April!
atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2023, 06:50:40 AM »
So the bridge is protected but the course isn't (a group of us spent a lot of time looking into that, or whether the members of the Trust were failing in their duties as trustees when the changes to the course were made 10 or so years ago).  Count me in the obvious minority but I'm not sure that's the right way round.

I agree, but you know that listing is hugely easier to get for built structures. Something like the Old Course _should_ be protected, but the listing regulations weren't drawn up with golf courses in mind.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Tepper

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2023, 12:39:04 PM »
Ally -

Perhaps the solution is a stone-paved area more modest/sympathetic in design. What if the current walkway was simply extended by a couple of yards, at the same width?

DT

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2023, 07:15:04 AM »

Right,
That’s the bridge sorted. Now, back to the SIGN!

>:(
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2023, 10:16:09 AM »
Ally -

Perhaps the solution is a stone-paved area more modest/sympathetic in design. What if the current walkway was simply extended by a couple of yards, at the same width?

DT
Or why does the approach to the bridge, which apparently can't tolerate the traffic have to be grass?  How about a decomposed granite walkway?  Pretty common and quite pleasing to the eye.

"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2023, 01:29:13 AM »
Clearly the superintendent hasn't been doing his job. He should have been having the bridge moved to a new spot along the burn each day to spread out the wear and tear.

That said, the Links Trust should have just built replica bridges every few feet or so. That way the bridgeS could handle way more busloads of tourists and again the wear would be spread out.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2023, 03:44:47 AM »

Niall C

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2023, 09:18:25 AM »
My sources in St Andrews advise that this was all a marketing wheeze thought up by the Links Trust to gain publicity and it was never intended that the buggy parking circle would remain. Their other idea was to turn the Valley of Sin into a pond with an ornamental fountain in the middle but apparently someone has copyrighted that idea. ;)

Niall

MCirba

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2023, 08:37:42 AM »
Can someone explain to me why a heavily-trafficked, out-of-play, turf worn area can't just be a heavily-trafficked, out-of-play, turf worn area?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

V. Kmetz

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2023, 11:53:37 AM »
My sources in St Andrews advise that this was all a marketing wheeze thought up by the Links Trust to gain publicity and it was never intended that the buggy parking circle would remain. Their other idea was to turn the Valley of Sin into a pond with an ornamental fountain in the middle but apparently someone has copyrighted that idea. ;)

Niall

NC - Perhaps blameless for just passing it on, but what publicity/marketing end? 5000 people let out a geshrie on the internet? What profit is expected from that?  Isn't the OC as booked as an Ivy League library?   What isn't St. Andrews enjoying that this would help it/them enjoy?
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Kyle Harris

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2023, 11:59:32 AM »
Can someone explain to me why a heavily-trafficked, out-of-play, turf worn area can't just be a heavily-trafficked, out-of-play, turf worn area?

Flooding and washout if you lose too much stabilizing plant material, for one thing.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Sean_A

« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2023, 12:29:47 PM »

Flooding and washout if you lose too much stabilizing plant material, for one thing.

Is the burn not stone/wood reinforced around the bridge? I thought the created kinks in the burn were an anti flood measure as well?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back