News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Fife Advice
« on: February 03, 2023, 06:05:53 PM »
We will be in St Andrews this summer for our second visit. We already are booked for return visits to Elie and Crail Balcomie. We are not interested in a second visit to Kingsbarns. Among the New, Leven, Dunbarnie, and Lundin, which would you most recommend?

As always, thanks.

Ira

Tom_Doak

Re: Fife Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 06:12:16 PM »
Eden.

Then probably Lundin.

Note:  I have not played Dumbarnie, but that's a whole different price category.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 07:04:02 PM »
Ladybank.
PM me.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 07:51:31 PM »
We will be in St Andrews this summer for our second visit. We already are booked for return visits to Elie and Crail Balcomie. We are not interested in a second visit to Kingsbarns. Among the New, Leven, Dunbarnie, and Lundin, which would you most recommend?

As always, thanks.

Ira

For me it's hands down New. You don't seem overly interested in modern Scottish designs. Leven is good, but needs a bit of time to recover from poor conditioning. Lundin is posher than Leven, but for that, not really in a higher quality bracket. It's very much worth playing if the New is a hassle to organise.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 03:41:10 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 02:36:26 AM »
Assume you will enter the daily ballot for TOC, or make a great evening by standing in line the night before. Always a good memory.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Ira Fishman

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 07:21:57 AM »
Jeff,

A correct assumption.

Sean,

Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns were my two least favorite courses respectively on our two trips to Scotland so far. And that is not a price-based evaluation. So yes, modern so far has not been appealing. However, I am curious about Dumbarnie because it has gathered some favorable comments on here.

Thanks to all.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 03:28:33 PM »
Find time to play Kinghorn and spend rest of day wondering how such a course in Fife is so overlooked that you can easily get tee times.
Then spend next 6 months wondering if you missheard them when they said the green fee was £25?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 04:42:29 PM »
Kinghorn is worth seeing.  Of the links, New, then Eden, then Lundin would be my preference but it's all just opinion in the end.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 05:10:35 PM »

As always, thanks.

Ira

For me it's hands down New. You don't seem overly interested in modern Scottish designs. Leven is good, but needs a bit of time to recover from poor conditioning. Lundin is posher than Leven, but for that, not really in a higher quality bracket. It's very much worth playing if the New is a hassle to organise.

Ciao

Leven was in playable shape but not great when I was there 4 years ago. Has it gotten worse? An absolute blast of a 17 hole golf course.

Sean_A

Re: Fife Advice New
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 05:27:26 PM »

As always, thanks.

Ira

Ciao

Leven was in playable shape but not great when I was there 4 years ago. Has it gotten worse? An absolute blast of a 17 hole golf course.

There have been consistent reports of poor fairways since I was there. I am told things are on the turn. Who knows, maybe the fairways will be decent this summer. However, given the options, and thinking New is better anyway, I would wait a year or so.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 12:25:54 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 05:28:21 PM »

As always, thanks.

Ira

Ciao

There have been consistent reports of poor fairways since I was there. I am told things are on the turn. Who knows, maybe the fairways will be decent this summner. However, given the options, and thinking New is better anyway, I would wait a year or so.

Ciao

Ah, bummer. Agreed, the New is far better anyways for only a slight premium.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 06:52:07 AM »

As always, thanks.

Ira

Ciao

As a former member, I thought it was more of a 15 hole course. Which one are you discounting?
F.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 06:37:35 PM »

As always, thanks.

Ira

Ciao

As a former member, I thought it was more of a 15 hole course. Which one are you discounting?
F.

#18. Partially because I felt it was somewhat out of character from the rest of the golf course that could be played entirely on the ground, but also because that's where I tore my sacroiliac joint revealing a ton of spine issues that has required 4 years of hard physical therapy to get through.

I loved the course otherwise. Just good fun pure links.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 07:58:13 AM »
Ouch. That must have been incredibly painful, but you're the first person I've ever heard from who didn't like the 18th. Yes, it's got an outrageously penal finish, but I've seen it parred and birdied and bogied and doubled often enough to believe it's a good hole!
F.
PS Our very own Niall Carlton hit driver, three-wood to the middle of the green.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 08:01:55 AM by Marty Bonnar »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 08:41:15 AM »
I'm surprised to see 18 picked out as the weakest hole on the course.  I think it's a good finisher.  Leven gets a bit peculiar in the middle of the round but for me it's overall strength is better than Lundin.  Of the non-St Andrews traditional courses in Fife, I might have it behind only Elie.  If we're discounting condition.  On my last two visits the fairways have been in awful shape.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Josh Bills

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 10:16:21 AM »
When I played there in 2016 Lundin and Leven were both wonderful places to play with Lundin having a few more quirky, less desirable holes, in my opinion, but in better shape.  I would go back to either without hesitation for cost (I have no idea current costs) and lack of crowds. 

Lundin

Leven

John Handley

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 10:41:40 AM »
our group played Dumbarnie and all of the guys liked it.  I know there is a bias against new courses but I think Dumbarnie, Castle Stuart and Kingsbarns are all good courses.  So I think it really depends on your preference.  My finding is that if you are in Scotland and playing golf, life is good no matter what course you are on.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 10:49:44 AM »
Ouch. That must have been incredibly painful, but you're the first person I've ever heard from who didn't like the 18th. Yes, it's got an outrageously penal finish, but I've seen it parred and birdied and bogied and doubled often enough to believe it's a good hole!
F.
PS Our very own Niall Carlton hit driver, three-wood to the middle of the green.

I understand where Philip is coming from. Unless you are long enough it is a bit of a dolly of a drive, a dolly of a second and a chip on. Nothing to set the pulse racing.

I've had a go at getting on in two twice and succeeded both times by the skin of my teeth. The second time playing with Bill McBride and Rich Goodall, they goaded me into having a go and I had a lash with my 2-wood which landed at the front and ran to the back of the green. A solid 3-putt later we made our way to the bar to cap off a great day. Happy memories of two fine gentlemen.

Niall

Bernie Bell

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 12:32:31 PM »
Carnoustie.  I don't think you'll be sorry for the experience.

Niall C

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 09:12:21 AM »
Bernie

Unless my knowledge of geography fails me, Carnoustie is not in Fife.

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 11:47:07 AM »
Ignore, wrong thread

Bernie Bell

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2023, 11:58:18 AM »
Yes, I know Niall.  But if you've gone across the ocean already and you're less than hour away . . . . I think it's a mistake to skip it . . . . don't get psyched out by the overdone TV coverage of "Carnastie," you don't need to play it from 7400 yards

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2023, 12:55:31 PM »
Yes, I know Niall.  But if you've gone across the ocean already and you're less than hour away . . . . I think it's a mistake to skip it . . . . don't get psyched out by the overdone TV coverage of "Carnastie," you don't need to play it from 7400 yards
It's a great course.  But Fife has a good few of those, too.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back