News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: Pinehurst No 10 - New Tom Doak design
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2024, 11:28:16 PM »
Tim, Not sure if congratulations are in order but it looks like you are off the ignore list! I guess we needed to know he couldn't buy merch at # 10.
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum doing as they always do: making it personal while doing absolutely zip to advance the discussion. Congrats.

You're both on the ignore list, but the site is as broken as your ability to contribute, so as you know… posts aren't actually hidden or ignored, and when either of you say something particularly stupid, I don't mind pointing it out.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

jeffwarne

« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2024, 09:34:10 AM »

There are plenty of examples of good/great par 4 holes that won’t be reached from the member tees by most players. A couple holes out of the full set that fit this description create variety and despite the difficulty are cherished pars.

Tim:

Obviously, I agree, or I wouldn't still build holes like that.  In fact I like them so much that I am prepared to listen to the gripes of players who are used to having eight sets of tees so they can reach every green in regulation.  ;)

For the life of me, I will never understand this criticism.
That's what handicap shots are for.
There were so many such holes back in the day, and no one thought anything of it.
The "white tees" , that most play, have gotten much shorter due to the 8 sets of tees over the past 30 years, despite all gaining 5-15% in distance.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2024, 05:24:21 PM »
Pinehurst Resort opened its highly anticipated No. 10 course on April 3. Designed by Tom Doak, with Angela Moser serving as lead associate, No. 10 is the first new Pinehurst Resort course to be built in nearly three decades, since Tom Fazio’s No. 8 debuted on the site of the old Pinehurst Gun Club.
Located three miles south of the main resort clubhouse in Aberdeen, the new 18-hole No. 10 layout is draped atop ground that had once housed a Dan Maples-designed course called The Pit, which existed from 1985 until 2010. With natural ridgelines, intriguing landforms, towering longleaf pines, streams and ponds, Doak designed a course that complements the resort’s other courses through its contrasts.

Read more from www.firstcallgolf.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2024, 06:17:12 PM »
Pinehurst Resort opened its highly anticipated No. 10 course on April 3. Designed by Tom Doak, with Angela Moser serving as lead associate, No. 10 is the first new Pinehurst Resort course to be built in nearly three decades, since Tom Fazio’s No. 8 debuted on the site of the old Pinehurst Gun Club.
Located three miles south of the main resort clubhouse in Aberdeen, the new 18-hole No. 10 layout is draped atop ground that had once housed a Dan Maples-designed course called The Pit, which existed from 1985 until 2010. With natural ridgelines, intriguing landforms, towering longleaf pines, streams and ponds, Doak designed a course that complements the resort’s other courses through its contrasts.

Thanks Steve.

Kinda surprised the course's first three weeks were not more highlighted here.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2024, 05:50:56 AM »

Thanks Steve.

I'll be there today and hope to report back here soon!

Mike Worth

« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2024, 08:44:04 AM »

Thanks Steve.

i’m playing May 6 please don’t post too much information lol

Tim Gallant

« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2024, 10:54:36 AM »

Thanks Steve.

i’m playing May 6 please don’t post too much information lol

You don't want to hear about my up and down for double?!  ;D ;D ;D  I'll just post general observations.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2024, 10:15:42 PM »
I reached out to them as I wanted to take my son to play it for his birthday and the greens fee for #10 is $450.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2024, 09:55:05 AM »
I reached out to them as I wanted to take my son to play it for his birthday and the greens fee for #10 is $450.
Golf as it was meant to be!  I recently received an email offering membership to Whispering Pines (Ellis Maples, 36 holes) for $300/month.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2024, 10:02:58 AM »
Each?  Wow.  At 10 minute tee times.
  • $1800 each foursome
  • $10,800 each hour
  • $64,800 per day, assuming 6 hours of tee times
  • $453,600 per week
  • $1,841,400 per month
Obviously assuming no rainouts or weather events. Great business and I'm sure the first couple years will be slammed.

Tom here is a Shark Tank offer you can make on your next public course in lieu of your design fee. $5 bucks a player royalty (1% green fee approx.) for like the first year ($720 a day / $262,800 first year), drop a dollar each year until you get $1 in perpetuity starting year 6. That would be a nice retirement annuity!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 10:08:21 AM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2024, 10:47:12 AM »

Was a resort stay a prerequisite? If so, did that $450 include a night or two of lodging?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2024, 04:00:33 PM »
This video piece has recently been released - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-3tMbecACpQ
All the better for less than usual talking head chat.
Atb

John Blain

« Reply #187 on: April 26, 2024, 08:56:34 AM »
This video piece has recently been released - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-3tMbecACpQ
All the better for less than usual talking head chat.
Atb
That was an excellent video, thanks. That guy putts like Tiger Woods!

Mike Worth

« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2024, 04:57:54 PM »

Was a resort stay a prerequisite? If so, did that $450 include a night or two of lodging?

I know this from my own experience, a resort state is required to play Nos. 10, 4, and 2.

I booked a 2 night three course (10, 4, and 1) stay for roughly $2,500. 

Andrew Buck

« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2024, 04:19:48 PM »
I’ll be heading through Pinehurst for one day in August and would love to play #10 (or 2, which I have played a few times.)

Does anyone know if a single showed up that isn’t staying at the resort would be able to join a group if there is an opening?  I know the recorded message to look for daily golf is only 1, 3, 5 and cradle, but wondered if anyone has luck as a single.

Haven’t seen Southern Pines since the work, so may be better off just trying to play there 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2024, 05:31:25 PM by Andrew Buck »

Mike Worth

« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2024, 05:05:48 PM »
I’ll be heading through Pinehurst for one day in August and would love to play #10 (or 2, which I have played a few times.)

Does anyone know if a single showed up that isn’t staying at the resort would be able to join a group if there is an opening?  I know the recorded message to look for daily golf is only 1, 3, 5 and cradle, but wondered if anyone has luck as a single.

For some reason the $500’ish for golf doesn’t bother me, but the $700 for a room I’ll be in from about 10:30PM to 4:30 AM does.  Haven’t seen Southern Pines since the work, so may be better off just trying to play there

An overnight stay at the resort is required if you would like to play #s 2, 4, or 10.

in May, I stayed at the resort for two nights and played 10 and 4. I was also able to play 1 and 3 during the same trip — those courses do not require an overnight stay at the resort
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 05:16:09 PM by Mike Worth »

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2024, 07:29:18 PM »
I played Southern Pines in March and would highly recommend it.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2024, 08:36:46 PM »
I played Southern Pines in March and would highly recommend it.

Thanks Dan.  Seems like Southern Pines and Mid Pines is likely the best bet this bonus trip.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2024, 03:09:21 PM »
Have any of you played #10 in the last two/three months?
If so, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, Peter.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back