News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stewart Abramson

Re: Need a little help - Golf's Great Walkups/Walkbacks
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2022, 09:15:21 AM »
8th to 9th at Cruden Bay.

atb

Like several of the others mentioned in the preceding posts, (Bandon Trails, Highlands Links) the walk from #8 to #9 at Cruden is a hard walk more than a great walk, although the views at the end of the walk are nice.

Cruden Bay  trek from #8 green up to #9 tee

Cruden Bay #9  view from tee
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 09:23:22 AM by Stewart Abramson »

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2022, 09:21:19 AM »
I don't remember which holes these paths connected, but New Zealand GC in Surrey has cool walking paths connecting holes.

New Zealand Golf Club, Addlestone, Surrey, England

New Zealand Golf Club, Addlestone, Surrey, England

Jim Jackson

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2022, 10:16:32 AM »
Excellent work.  Clearly you guys understand the idea here, and I love your ideas so far.  I've seen most of the courses mentioned above but saw a few before the genesis of this idea - and therefore may need to go back for more shots. 

The genesis of this idea arose when walking through the forest after the 12th at Crystal Downs, and between the towering trees between the 4th and 5th at SFGC.  Anticipation + terrain

A few I really like from Somerset Hills, and I'll try to post one here if I can figure out the posting process.

Keep em coming!

hope this works
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52569367715_2ea241fdd3_z.jpg

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2022, 10:16:54 AM »
There are two types of walks and Jim could even consider categorising them as such for his book:

- The Journey (where the walk itself is through unusual or very pleasant landscape, often quite long)
- The Reveal (where the walk is either short or harder, longer, not particularly pleasant but the end result is opening up to a new landscape view or breathtaking hole)

Ally

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2022, 11:09:15 AM »

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2022, 11:22:19 AM »
A couple of my personal favourites from Kingsbarns were:
5 to 6:
Leaving the splendid roly-poly 5th green you wander between nicely-scaled mounds hiding most of the course from view, across the road then through more view-limiting mounding to finally arriving at the 6th tee and the splendid open vista of the 'lower bowl'.
11 to 12:
From the 11th green down into the dark, cool copse of sycamores and over the burn then back up to the 12th tee - and the reveal of that magnificent view of a great golf hole and the whole North Sea (or so it seems!)
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2022, 11:36:24 AM »
14 to 15 at The EuropeanEuropean Club. Looking back toward 13.

I was going to mention The European but this is a strange choice. The big “reveal” is the 11th to 12th. In many ways, it is similar to the 3/4 transition at St. Patricks that Tom mentions above.

However, I don’t think either of them fit as neither of them are very long. Surely the essence here is the journey as much as the reveal?

Ally, I was going to mention 11 to 12 but didn't have a good picture. Going from the green to the tee is pretty special. Going from 14 to 15 is one of my most special places.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2022, 12:18:38 PM »
Jim, I don't know if you are focused on famous courses or courses with architectural merit, but if any course can be considered,  there are some cool walks on Doak 3's.  I can recall three in New York's Hudson Valley.

Otterkill CC has a lovely 150 yard walk on a path through marshland. ending with a little bridge over the Otterkill ("kill" was the word for stream to the Dutch settlers) connecting the 15th green to the 16th tee. I always loved that walk as a way to commune with nature and get my head together before facing the closing stretch of the round. other than a walk between 9 and 10, it's the only place on the course where the green is not next to the following tee.

Hannah Resort in the Catskills has a 600 yard serpentine path down the pretty wooded  mountainside from the club house to the first tee. I've walked it, but most people ride. It's not too bad going downhill, but walking up is brutal.

The golf course at U.S. Military Academy at West Point has a long walk through the woods connecting the two nines

Steve Lang

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2022, 12:36:03 PM »
 8)  Jim,

Though we had a tee time via the Lottery, I have fond memory of walking up to the Starter's Hut & 1st tee at TOC back in '96...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2022, 01:10:11 PM »
and between the towering trees between the 4th and 5th at SFGC. 

Did you mean the walk from 5 green to 6 tee at SF?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jim Jackson

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2022, 01:17:49 PM »
and between the towering trees between the 4th and 5th at SFGC. 

Did you mean the walk from 5 green to 6 tee at SF?

Correct, my mistake; it is 5-6

Joe Hancock

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2022, 02:27:44 PM »
There are two types of walks and Jim could even consider categorising them as such for his book:

- The Journey (where the walk itself is through unusual or very pleasant landscape, often quite long)
- The Reveal (where the walk is either short or harder, longer, not particularly pleasant but the end result is opening up to a new landscape view or breathtaking hole)

Ally

Also, less flattering, The Trudge
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tal Oz

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2022, 06:41:54 PM »
Friars Head is filled with them, the aforementioned 15 - 16 is stunning, but 1 - 2 and 14 - 15 are also amazing

Turning around at the back of 10 tee at Boston Golf Club to see the Boston skyline is beautiful

The climb up to 16 tee at Rustic Canyon always gets the blood flowing, but the reveal and seeing all of the back 9 is worth it

Olympic Ocean 4 - 5 and Cal Club 5 - 6 reveal the city behind the par 3

Taking a little creative liberty here, but the walkup to the 1st tee at Riviera is the definition of memorable

James Brown

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2022, 06:58:24 PM »
Greta topic.

Bandon Trails is my vote for best green to tee walks in total.

Some nominations for individual ones:

16 to 17 at Sawgrass
7 to 8 at Sunningdale Old
6 to 7 at Dornoch
11 to 12 at Black Mesa
1 to 2 at Pasatiempo

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2022, 11:05:46 PM »
This is crowd-sourcing at its finest. Takes a lot of the labor out of the creation of the book. Hope that credit is given for the suggestions.

I had a notion for a photo show about twenty years ago, along these lines. I wanted to call it "The Spaces Between." Life intervened, and the idea lies dormant.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

mike_beene

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2022, 11:43:05 PM »
One you may not know: the walk by the river perhaps 300 yards between 6 green and 7 tee at the Cliffs Mountain Park in upstate South Carolina.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2022, 11:58:44 PM »
Thanks - our plan is to make it just that - a coffee table book
I’m a buyer!
Tim Weiman

Jim Jackson

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2022, 11:11:41 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  While undoubtedly this is crowd-sourcing ideas, we have a long list of pre-existing candidates, as this ideal dates back to a decade ago and has been augmented yearly with our travels.  But our biases are toward courses of high architectural regard, and most travel mortals will have local/regional/list related biases.  We're just trying to find those blind spots, and I can't think of a better group to help find them - courses we might not otherwise visit, or to jog memories from places we've seen but didn't capture.  Be assured this board will be cited when this idea becomes reality.

Now back to our program.  I think I figured out the photos

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2022, 12:01:04 PM »
It occurs to me that Otway has a great walk back or two.

The 9th. The tee is out on a peninsula on which Macamish Fort is located.

The 2nd too is pretty cool. Walk back to a ridge for this hole.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ira Fishman

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2022, 12:19:56 PM »
Two more:

1. From 4 to 5 at Blackwolf Run River.

2. From 1 to 2 at Old Head.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2022, 02:48:16 PM »
Walk-up the slope from the 5th green to the 6th tee at RND/Westward Ho! and something rather nice awaits the eye. The 360* view is also pretty inspiring.
atb

Drew Harvie

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2022, 03:08:47 PM »
The walk from 13 to 14 at Bandon Trails is one that you never forget.

The pickup truck ride* from 13 to 14

Between 12 and 13 at Banff Springs along the Bow River is about as good as it gets in Canada

Tim Martin

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2022, 07:45:56 AM »
The walk from 2 tee to 2 green at Sleepy Hollow reveals the Hudson River and palisades about half way up the short par four. The river and cliffs come in and out of view a number of times during the round.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 07:51:11 AM by Tim Martin »

Enno Gerdes

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2022, 09:00:42 AM »
The walk from 2 to 3 on Gullane 1 is also very nice, bringing the other side of Gullane Hill into view.

archie_struthers

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2022, 11:49:25 AM »
 8)

My two favorites at Pine Valley are from #1 to 2 ....about 30 yards but when you turn left you see the second hole in all it's glory and from #13 to 14  same deal quick left turn and the reveal of the semi island par three !

Both outstanding even if not on the scale of some other reveals!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back