News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

Re: 100 most influencial people in golf - 2022
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2022, 06:43:33 PM »
All we need is one more rater to give Tom an 8.5 and he might jump over JT and DeChambeau.

But I will still be below Paige Spiranac.   :)

Indeed...
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Peter Flory

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2022, 06:44:03 PM »
I think that the problem with their list is that there are different categories of influential and it doesn't really make sense to combine people from different categories into one list and rank them against each other when there is no overlap in their spheres of influence.

In terms of golf course architecture, it could make sense to rank the influencers.  But combining golf architecture with swing instruction with page click seeking with rules changes seems nonsensical.  My guess is that they are putting too much weighting on social media followers when that is only beneficial for certain niches within the golf industry. 

V_Halyard

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2022, 06:46:06 PM »
I cant see 11- 25 but Ran, Andy and Fred Ridley come to mind...
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Marty Bonnar

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2022, 02:13:11 PM »
Despite all of the stated dislike of lists, lists sure do generate a lot of discussion

mike_malone

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2022, 11:45:21 PM »
I think that Tom Coyne is fairly influential and more so than some of these no name people.

Because he influenced you?

Ciao

Actually he has a different take on architecture in particular than I do so he hasn’t influenced me at all. But I do know him and see a lot of his work and he has a great presence about him.
AKA Mayday

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2022, 10:34:22 AM »
Interesting information on Rick Shiels and some others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E99pZhsIGw

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2022, 08:48:57 PM »
Interesting information on Rick Shiels and some others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E99pZhsIGw

whoa...
wasn't it great when it was simply a niche game...

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2022, 10:26:27 PM »
interesting list generating lots of comment...but shows it is behind the times as it never mentions (at least based on one quick reading) Andrew Green who IMO is the leader of the next generation of architects (based on Inverness/Oak Tree/Congressional/Scioto/etc.)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2022, 10:31:59 PM »
interesting list generating lots of comment...but shows it is behind the times as it never mentions (at least based on one quick reading) Andrew Green who IMO is the leader of the next generation of architects (based on Inverness/Oak Tree/Congressional/Scioto/etc.)

Lists like these are hopelessly behind the times.  I probably had more influence a few years ago than I do now, and I was never going to be in this discussion ten years ago.

But also, just because someone is building good golf courses, does not make them influential.  How was rebuilding Inverness or Oak Hill or Scioto, influential?  [Other than leading to more work for Andrew?]

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2022, 10:34:43 PM »
Tom--

People followed your leadership because of the outstanding work it produced...that is influence.  I sent eAndrew will have that effect going forward

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2022, 03:12:05 AM »
I think that Tom Coyne is fairly influential and more so than some of these no name people.

Because he influenced you?

Ciao

Actually he has a different take on architecture in particular than I do so he hasn’t influenced me at all. But I do know him and see a lot of his work and he has a great presence about him.

So why is he influential? I ask because he has had no impact on me. I read his Irish book, it was ok...won't read another. Listened to some podcasts, not very interesting. I can imagine writers being influenced by him.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ira Fishman

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2022, 07:58:41 AM »

This is not a comment about the quality of Andrew Green’s work. I take it as a given that it is terrific. Rather my question is how can architect who does not do original designs be influential when we are more than 20 years into the wonderful era of restoring Golden Age courses? What is he influencing when more than a couple architects are excellent in undertaking such restorations?

Thanks.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2022, 09:43:54 AM »
So why is he influential? I ask because he has had no impact on me. I read his Irish book, it was ok...won't read another. Listened to some podcasts, not very interesting. I can imagine writers being influenced by him.
Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he wasn't (outside the top 100) influential. Look at Greg Norman.  :P
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2022, 10:56:58 AM »
Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he wasn't (outside the top 100) influential. Look at Greg Norman.  :P

I don't know Coyne to say I don't like him. Seems a decent chap. Just ambivalent about his work. I was curious how he influenced people. It really doesn't help a conversation if people don't take questions as questions. I won't ask a question on a forum like this if I don't want the answer.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2022, 12:42:43 PM »
I don't know Coyne to say I don't like him. Seems a decent chap. Just ambivalent about his work. I was curious how he influenced people. It really doesn't help a conversation if people don't take questions as questions. I won't ask a question on a forum like this if I don't want the answer.
He's "influenced" people through his books, his podcasts, and his role at The Golfer's Journal, primarily.

Replace "influence" with "power rankings" or something similar and the list would likely almost be the same.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2022, 01:20:36 PM »

I was curious how he influenced people. It really doesn't help a conversation if people don't take questions as questions. I won't ask a question on a forum like this if I don't want the answer.

Ciao

Sean, I think he is influential because thousands of golfers read his books and plan golf trips around the courses he writes about. While he may not influence you or the GCA crowd, I think a very large number of "retail golfer" itineraries are influenced by his books

Steve Lapper

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2022, 01:40:44 PM »
I'd strongly argue that Tom Coyne and Andrew Green, a prolific author and a talented architect respectively, are both are far, far less influential to golf than a Riggs from Barstool or a social media savvy PGA pro like Max Home or Joel Dahmen, or Molly Solomon from the Golf Channel.

All the latter have media throw-weight and reach that a self-promoter like Coyne or keen restoration artist like Green do. Additionally, one could argue that Ran or Ben Cowen Dewar easily eclipse them as well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 02:28:25 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Sean_A

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2022, 02:22:42 PM »

I was curious how he influenced people. It really doesn't help a conversation if people don't take questions as questions. I won't ask a question on a forum like this if I don't want the answer.

Ciao

Sean, I think he is influential because thousands of golfers read his books and plan golf trips around the courses he writes about. While he may not influence you or the GCA crowd, I think a very large number of "retail golfer" itineraries are influenced by his books

How do you know thousands of people plan trips based on the courses he writes about?

Maybe entertainment is a better description for Coyne?

Ciao

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2022, 02:34:25 PM »
Maybe entertainment is a better description for Coyne?
It's still "influence," or "mindshare" or "power" or whatever you want to call it. Do you think people plan trips or make decisions on where to play because of Rory McIlroy or Max Homa? But they're on the list.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2022, 02:34:51 PM »
The question arises what are the influential people influencing in golf?

A friend of mine always talks about general principles, that your general principles never change but the methods used to get them will. What are the general principles that make a golf club successful, my views are that they create enjoyment for people/golfers in a golf environment/course. So, enjoyment while playing golf.

Who influences your enjoyment while playing and who influences the golf course/environment?

A group that is massively under represented on the list is superintendents and green keepers. Think of the influence they have on the day to day playing of golf. On the list there is the founder of the foundation for Sustainable golf but the head of the USGA Green Section or the STRI in GB & I have a great influence on all the people who prepare and look after golf courses. The heads of both really should be on the list and how many would know their names?

A group that is way over represented on the list is heads of professional tours. There really is that many worldwide who play golf for a living so while they do influence them, do they really have much influence on the many golfers heading out to play today?

The head of the Mena tour would influence less golfers then say the starter on the Old Course at St Andrew's who would regal many golfers with stories before they head to play or a caddy at the old course who might help hundreds a year enjoy their game.The professional tours could disappear tomorrow and have very little effect on the millions of regular saturday fourballs around the world, but imagine if great caddies or starters disappeared.

Why not have a caddy or a starter on the list?

There's also an over representation from equipment companies on the list but not enough of the golf professionals who teach other golf professionals to teach. They influence thousands of coaches who teach millions of golfers to play better and enjoy themselves more. For example Lynn Marriott and Pia Nilsson of Vision 54 have had a profound effect on thousands of coaches and countless golfers as a result.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

mike_malone

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2022, 03:09:43 PM »
I’m only suggesting that Tom Coyne is a top 100 influencer in the world of golf through his writings. It’s not a big leap.
AKA Mayday

ward peyronnin

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2022, 04:52:16 PM »
I am not sure I follow why one of the most represented group are equipment divas?
Also I kinda assume influence referes to positive influence which would knock Norman way down the list but alas that is not necessarily so. Even allowing for that I don't see how he ratnks that High
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2022, 07:26:32 PM »
I am not sure I follow why one of the most represented group are equipment divas?
Also I kinda assume influence referes to positive influence which would knock Norman way down the list but alas that is not necessarily so. Even allowing for that I don't see how he ratnks that High

"Influence" does not always mean positive.  Indeed, many of the people in the golf BUSINESS are not positive influences on the GAME.

Don't forget, Josef Stalin was Time Magazine's Person of the Year.  Twice!

Phil Young

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2022, 08:20:30 PM »
Actually, the list is wrong in two ways. First, this is a list of the 100 most influential people in the BUSINESS side of golf. Secondly, they missed the one who is the most influential person in golf...that would be the person who taught you to love the game. The rest is all secondary.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 10:05:22 PM by Phil Young »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back