News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Mackenzie

Re: After the Lido...What is the next best lost course in North America?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2022, 04:01:38 PM »
Tough to say for sure, John, but Mill Road Farm in Lake Forest, IL may be considered.

In 1939, National Golf Review ranked it 23rd out of the top 100 courses in the world.

William Flynn design that is now sadly covered by homes.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2009-06-26-0906240565-story.html

https://lflb.passitdown.com/stories/41935

https://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=21454.0

« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 04:11:22 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2022, 04:55:28 PM »
In 1939, National Golf Review ranked it 23rd out of the top 100 courses in the world.

You do know the story of that list, don't you?
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Brad Tufts

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2022, 04:56:42 PM »
Royal Links (Las Vegas)

I totally wanted to hate it but it was fun! 

And even if the holes weren't anything like a links, it made them try something that wasn't just your normal Vegas palm tree/fake creek affair.  The whole imitation thing felt very Vegas (baby, Vegas) in its own different way.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2022, 05:53:27 PM »
As Peter and I said, it is incredibly difficult (or expensive) to relocate any NLE course unless it was engineered with sand from a flat site.

Somewhere like The Addington New - with lots of elevation change - is near an impossibility.

The Lido was made to be re-made!

Ally,  the council 'acquired' the land for housing that was never built. The problem would be that I don't know of any still existing plans, so it would just be an approximation. Shame because its the one  I'd most like to play.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2022, 07:25:29 PM »
As Peter and I said, it is incredibly difficult (or expensive) to relocate any NLE course unless it was engineered with sand from a flat site.

Somewhere like The Addington New - with lots of elevation change - is near an impossibility.

Ally,  the council 'acquired' the land for housing that was never built. The problem would be that I don't know of any still existing plans, so it would just be an approximation. Shame because its the one  I'd most like to play.

So you mean to rebuild in place? Many of the other suggestions seem to also be about rebuild in place… but the essence of the thread seemed to be rebuild elsewhere.

Even so, much of the land of The Addington New did have houses built on it. Not sure how many of the original hole corridors could be restored if desired. Perhaps a hashed together 9 holer at most I suspect.

Adam G

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2022, 08:46:21 PM »
El Caballero and Fox Hills by George Thomas also have to be in the mix. Both NLE (the current El Caballero is RTJ) in Los Angeles. El Caballero is his most mythical NLE design.

Andrew Carr

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2022, 09:27:45 PM »
Timber Point Golf Course.  There are 16 original green sites and 12 original holes there.  It's only politics and money standing in the way of a course that deserves to be restored probably more than any other in North America.  What's even better is the original course map humbly hangs in the bar above the fire place, where practically no one that plays there notices it.  I know this has been covered at length, but since Lido has been brought back from the dead, is it too much to ask to revive a stroke victim?  Weak pun needing explanation: it's currently a 27 hole facility across the original 18 hole land.

Craig Disher

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2022, 10:08:51 PM »
As challenging as The Lido was Flynn's Boca Raton South. It's fate was similar to The Lido - taken over by the Army in WWII and eventually repurposed for a housing development. During it's time it was considered one of the finest courses in the country and probably the equal of any in Florida. Aerial photos and Flynn's plans exist. At 6700 yds, perhaps 250 acres of flat, sandy ground would be all that's needed.

Niall Hay

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2022, 10:31:34 AM »
Does Gibson Island count as a lost course?

I'll also mention Overhills, Annapolis Roads, original Deepdale, Links Club, Timber Point

Timber Point by Alison in NY would be a great one.

David_Tepper

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2022, 10:54:45 AM »
How about Tillinghast's Norwood Country Club in West Long Branch, NJ? Lost to housing development in the late 1930's. The clubhouse was repurposed as a community center.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2022, 11:45:41 AM »

So you mean to rebuild in place? Many of the other suggestions seem to also be about rebuild in place… but the essence of the thread seemed to be rebuild elsewhere.

Even so, much of the land of The Addington New did have houses built on it. Not sure how many of the original hole corridors could be restored if desired. Perhaps a hashed together 9 holer at most I suspect.

If you look at Google Earth and use the historical aerials feature you can see Addington in 1945. There are about four holes of the New intact, three that are about half there, and the rest are under the houses.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Craig Disher

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2022, 11:45:55 AM »
How about Tillinghast's Norwood Country Club in West Long Branch, NJ? Lost to housing development in the late 1930's. The clubhouse was repurposed as a community center.
Norwood was a beauty and a real loss. The problem with recreating a course like Norwood is that it's nearly impossible to build on the original ground contours that influenced the design - as Peter mentioned above. Recreating the Lido didn't face that issue since the original was built on essentially flat ground. The ground contours of the Lido and BR South were completely manufactured and rested on sandy soil.
Overhills would be a real possibility. As far as I know the ground has been unchanged since the course closed and many original manufactured features are still visible.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 12:48:15 PM by Craig Disher »

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2022, 11:56:52 AM »
There was a course, featured on this site years ago, that was originally built or designed by  Mackenzie in Argentina which was to be reimagined somewhere in TX. I can't remember the name of it, or I would've found the link to it and posted... maybe someone else does.

Stephen Smith

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2022, 11:58:04 AM »
I don't know where they fall in the "best" discussion, but I miss Marsh Harbour (Calabash, N.C.) and the Pit (Aberdeen).

David_Tepper

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2022, 12:21:40 PM »
Wayne W. -

El Boqueron is the one you are thinking of:

https://moegolf.net/2011/10/08/the-lost-mackenzie-of-el-boqueron/

Except the course was "lost" before it ever got built.

DT

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2022, 01:31:50 PM »
As challenging as The Lido was Flynn's Boca Raton South. It's fate was similar to The Lido - taken over by the Army in WWII and eventually repurposed for a housing development. During it's time it was considered one of the finest courses in the country and probably the equal of any in Florida. Aerial photos and Flynn's plans exist. At 6700 yds, perhaps 250 acres of flat, sandy ground would be all that's needed.

Another Flynn in Florida, Normandy Shores, was created on fill much like the Lido.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Thomas Dai

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2022, 03:39:07 PM »
Wayne W. -
DT
Never built but here’s a bunch of information including analysis of where on the Argentinian estancia it was to be located - [size=78%]https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38874.0.html[/size]
Atb

John Challenger

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2022, 04:41:43 PM »
A slightly different question: What if we could build the the best submitted-but-never-constructed golf course design in the world? Such as, Raynor's design for Cypress Point. What golf course should be computer-modelled and built first?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:43:23 PM by John Challenger »

Tim Martin

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2022, 04:56:52 PM »
With putting courses in vogue if would be fun to see Mackenzie’s original 12th green at Sitwell Park replicated.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2022, 04:57:05 PM »
A slightly different question: What if we could build the the best submitted-but-never-constructed golf course design in the world? Such as, Raynor's design for Cypress Point. What golf course should be computer-modelled and built first?

There will be tons of these that we’ll never know about, given how many courses have been built following architecture competitions or direct bidding battles. Just to mention two, it would be fascinating to know what Robin Hiseman’s “Castle Course” would have turned out like… or Tom Doak’s “Olympic Course”…. I choose those two because of their relative blank canvas sites.

David_Tepper

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2022, 05:24:25 PM »
"A slightly different question: What if we could build the the best submitted-but-never-constructed golf course design in the world? Such as, Raynor's design for Cypress Point. What golf course should be computer-modelled and built first?"

Two contenders would be Mackenzie's El Boqueron in Argentina (referenced above) and Seth Raynor's 1918 plan for a course at the Olympic Club where the Lake course now sits. Raynor's plan is posted on the wall in the men's locker room there. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 10:58:45 AM by David_Tepper »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2022, 05:51:02 PM »
Sharp Park is what first occurred to me but I see it has been mentioned.

Thus I will throw into the discussion a couple of Thomas courses that have been wrecked over time. The first is Ojai, which of course has been mistreated by time, war, and even those who were supposedly restoring it. There are still some awesome golf holes there but to think of what it must have been like a hundred years ago is rather heartbreaking.

The other would be his original routing at Griffith Park, back when the river was wild and before the interstate was built. The holes on the Wilson course that are west of Crystal Springs Dr are still pretty good (these are the ones that more or less maintain the original Thomas routing, the others were re-routed thanks to the highway and other land grabs from the park).

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2022, 06:46:37 PM »
The Lido is the only one that I can think of where building it in another location made sense- because it was originally built upward off of a flat site. 

For the rest, I really don't think moving them to a new location would be feasible.  But there are a lot that could theoretically be reconstructed right back where they originally were. 

East Potomac is one that should actually happen.  Sharp Park is one that can't be rebuilt exactly because of the sea wall and other constraints, but it can get back a lot of what was lost.  Shawnee is one that I find interesting- although it would depend on them wanting to do it, which I have no idea. 

I have a back of the mind fantasy of trying to get them to revive the 3 hole loop (4- Cape, 5- Short, and 6- Hill to Carry/ Eden) at Ocean Links that is just sitting there under the bushes- maybe as a kids/ community course that could be maintained by Newport CC or something.

Peter,

The Tour 18 here in Houston supports your view about the choices other than the Lido. The topography just doesn’t match the holes. The Pebble Beach 14th is especially bad.
Tim Weiman

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2022, 07:41:51 PM »
Wayne W. -
DT

yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks!

Never built but here’s a bunch of information including analysis of where on the Argentinian estancia it was to be located - [size=78%]https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38874.0.html[/size]
Atb

Lester George

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2022, 10:11:49 PM »
Gibson Island, Lost 9 and unbuilt 18.  Macdonald said it would be the best golf club in America! Better than NGLA and Lido!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back